Contreras still tipping his pitches

Jabroni

"Is Contreras a big tipper?

Coach says batters knew what he'd throw in drubbing"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

During his stint, Contreras threw a few knuckleballs to serve as a changeup pitch.

But a bigger concern to the White Sox is that Contreras is tipping his pitches, according to pitching coach Don Cooper.

"It's the tipping of pitches we'll get after," Cooper said. "After the first inning, they weren't swinging at a lot of stuff and knew what was coming."

http://www.badtipper.com/celebrities/scottiePippen.shtml

Scottie Pippen has a nick name throughout the Vegas area. It is Scotty "No Tippin" Pippen. This is just too funny. To get this title it takes more than just one or two bad tips. It might literally take close to 50 "almost stiffs" to get that nickname.

Scottie "No Tippin" Pippen you are a border line hall of fame basketball player but you are welcomed into the BadTipper.com hall of fame with open arms.

Bulls*** he is a top twenty five player in nba history.

Contreras blows and we should have never traded loaiza for him. Big waste of money if you ask me. I would rather have diaz sucking ass every fifth day ( for a much cheaper amount of money) if you ask me. Oh, and i went there.

Edited by qwerty

Contreras blows and we should have never traded loaiza for him. Big waste of money if you ask me. I would rather have diaz sucking ass every fifth day ( for a much cheaper amount of money)  if you ask me. Oh, and i went there.

Well, I somewhat disagree. Contreras has a Jekyll and Hyde syndrome where he's unhittable one start but can't find the plate and gets rocked in his next start. At least he's good during some of his starts as opposed to Diaz who sucks in all of his starts.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 02:35 AM)
Well, I somewhat disagree.  Contreras has a Jekyll and Hyde syndrome where he's unhittable one start but can't find the plate and gets rocked in his next start.  At least he's good during some of his starts as opposed to Diaz who sucks in all of his starts.

Apparently you missed that game against The Cubs last summer?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 02:35 AM)
Well, I somewhat disagree.  Contreras has a Jekyll and Hyde syndrome where he's unhittable one start but can't find the plate and gets rocked in his next start.  At least he's good during some of his starts as opposed to Diaz who sucks in all of his starts.

No matter what anyone says diaz wouldn't have an era above let's say six. While that may be horrible i would much rather pay him peanuts to do that than for contreras to have a 5.50 era and get paid six million or so.

Contreras is the biggest question mark on the Sox.

The Sox have to look long and hard about sticking with him. If the sox think Jose won't or can't make the necessary adjustments [tipping pitches, throwing w/ runners on, throwing strikes, etc] they should trade him now to a team that needs a "proven" SP.

If Contreras tanks, the Sox are stuck with a $12 million pitcher on their roster. The best they could hope for then would be for Jose to pitch decently in the bullpen. Only the Sox know what the real deal is with contreras though. we'll all see soon enough.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 01:45 AM)

Bulls*** he is a top twenty five player in nba history.

Top 25 of all time, Scottie Pippen?

You can only name 24 players in the history of the NBA that you would take over Scottie-headache-gun-toting-wife-beating-1.8-second-quitting-never-hit-a-last-second-shot-calling-the-fans-racists-ingrateful-dick-Pippen?

Contreras blows and we should have never traded loaiza for him. Big waste of money if you ask me. I would rather have diaz sucking ass every fifth day ( for a much cheaper amount of money)  if you ask me. Oh, and i went there.

:huh:

You mean I agree with you on something?

THe Sky is falling the sky is falling.. I think Hell just froze over as well

Now you cant start an argument about having felix diaz over contreras. The sky must be falling if you think the JC's performance in ST is a indicator of how he will do in the season, and make you think Diaz is a better option. I mean how can you be jumping ship because of ST and ONE tribune article. Its starting to look like the north side on these message boards.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
Now you cant start an argument about having felix diaz over contreras.  The sky must be falling if you think the JC's performance in ST is a indicator of how he will do in the season, and make you think Diaz is a better option.  I mean how can you be jumping ship because of ST and ONE tribune article.  Its starting to look like the north side on these message boards.

Give me one reason why some of us should believe that Contreras will be able to pitch well for a whole season?

And don't tell me about his 2003, because he only pitched 70 innings, the equivelant to 10-11 starts...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Give me one reason why some of us should believe that Contreras will be able to pitch well for a whole season?

And don't tell me about his 2003, because he only pitched 70 innings, the equivelant to 10-11 starts...

Never said he would pitch well, I just think he would pitch better than Diaz. Give him at least one season in a WS uniform, and then we can jump ship.

I can come up with two reasons Keith, neither of which are quantifiable:

- He has a great arm

- He has great stuff

Neither means squat unless his brain is working. But those two advantages are things Felix Diaz doesn't have.

Prediction: the leash on Contreras will be a lot shorter this year. They will not tolerate another head case season.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
I can come up with two reasons Keith, neither of which are quantifiable:

- He has a great arm

- He has great stuff

Neither means squat unless his brain is working.  But those two advantages are things Felix Diaz doesn't have.

Prediction:  the leash on Contreras will be a lot shorter this year.  They will not tolerate another head case season.

Especially with Brandon McCarthy looming on the horizon

Especially with Brandon McCarthy looming on the horizon

Yes, agree, that's one big reason.

This is another reason why I wanted them (and still want) them to get a few veteran guys to start at AAA. I know that's not easy to do. But let's face it, Contreras and Hernandez are question marks. Contreras is not easing any concerns with his spring performance either.

Lack of talent is one thing, but when it's a "between the ears" problem ... personally, I have less patience for that.

What they ought to do is tell him, "we are calling this game, you are not to shake anything off, let Pierzynski do the thinking. You just pitch. Period." I think they are one more bad outing away from doing exactly that. He does not deserve the rope he's been given thus far.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
Yes, agree, that's one big reason.

This is another reason why I wanted them (and still want) them to get a few veteran guys to start at AAA.  I know that's not easy to do.  But let's face it, Contreras and Hernandez are question marks.  Contreras is not easing any concerns with his spring performance either.

Lack of talent is one thing, but when it's a "between the ears" problem ... personally, I have less patience for that.

What they ought to do is tell him, "we are calling this game, you are not to shake anything off, let Pierzynski do the thinking.  You just pitch.  Period."  I think they are one more bad outing away from doing exactly that.  He does not deserve the rope he's been given thus far.

agree, take a hint from our best pitcher, MB, he wont shake any signs off, he just wheels and throws. It apparently works well.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 03:45 AM)
Nope, I remember that game.  It was a good game but he still gave up 3 runs in 6 IP.  That's good for a 4.50 ERA.  That's not bad but it's hardly great either.

You should also remember his start against Seattle where he pitched fantastic last year.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
You should also remember his start against Seattle where he pitched fantastic last year.

I was at the game in Peoria. Its the same story. He has an explosive fastball. But the minute he gets a few men on base he starts to get tight around the color. Then its slow pitch after slow pitch and he loads the bases up. His fastball on Sunday was great. The first few innings he was getting ahead of them with that. Then he fell into the old game of splitter, splitter, splitter and it hurt him.

My question is simple. Tell Contreras he is not allowed to shake a sign off. That will end the dilemma. He has to throw what the catcher puts down. Stop letting this guy make any decisions and it will be better. Just a thought. Also LTP did not look at all to be hustling. There was a ball hit out to him and he slowly jogged over and then soft tossed it in. If that was crash the ball would of been flying in to home to get the runner. Konerko looked solid. Gooch also.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 27, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)
"Is Contreras a big tipper?

Coach says batters knew what he'd throw in drubbing"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Ya, 1st inning I was able to point out to my dad whenever he was throwing the breaking pitch. Well most of the time. Oh ya, did I mention he sucked. Hell the entire White Sox looked pathetic minus Neal Cotts and Dustin Hermanson. Of course I only saw two games.

Some other guys looked solid too, none of them being pitchers.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)

You can only name 24 players in the history of the NBA that you would take over Scottie-headache-gun-toting-wife-beating-1.8-second-quitting-never-hit-a-last-second-shot-calling-the-fans-racists-ingrateful-dick-Pippen?

Not even sure there are 25 i would take over him.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 28, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)

One-of-the-best-defenders-of-all-time-Pippen?

Yes.