What was No.1 on the day you were born?

Goldmember

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
O.K., this thread is just driving me insane! How have you people never heard of some of these songs??? How could you have never heard of Starship or that terrible song!?! WOW!!!

I just talked to a 17-year-old who had never heard of He-Man. :o

As a comparison, I may not have been alive when he was popular but at least I knew who Howdy Doody was. :headshake

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
I'm surprised by your age that you are as into Bea as you are. I had no idea you were a young kid. But I guess that makes more sense than my slight obsession with Lillian Gish. And your interest in 70's stuff helps make the Bea stuff more understandable.

Bea Arthur is a comic genius. I love 70s kitch a lot, and my parents pop culture development stopped at about 1973. I wasn't allowed to listen to anything but Oldies until I got to 7th grade or so.

There's something I see about the 1970's that we lack today. It's not because the decade was anything special, its just that a lot of things changed so radically in the 80s and 90s about the way we did things and the way children grew up.

Everyday, I find it so shocking the way that things have changed so radically over the last few years.

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
:o im only 23 and i loved heman. had the heman, battle cat, and skeletor action figures... :headbang

I still have my entire collection and I'm only missing a handful of figures. They're sitting in a box in the garage right next to my star wars, gi joe and thundercats toys.

Considering I have 3 daughters who will probably never be interested in them, I will someday have a huge number of Ebay auctions.

I just haven't had to heart to get rid of them yet...

QUOTE(winodj @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
There's something I see about the 1970's that we lack today. It's not because the decade was anything special, its just that a lot of things changed so radically in the 80s and 90s about the way we did things and the way children grew up.

Everyday, I find it so shocking the way that things have changed so radically over the last few years.

There is something fitting about how in the 70's people became obsessed with the 50's. Both era's have much in common. The country was realing from wars, yet still immersed in a strange innocence. The 70's had a lot of the 60's grime still all over it, but the nation was still fairly innocent and just happy to be here. I see alot of parallels between the two time periods. Though I think I would have been better suited for the 50's. I was born in 70, so much of the decade I remember.

Good for your parents and raising you as they did! My daughter has fallen in love with Sam Cooke all of a sudden! She's only 7 and asking me to put him on when we get in the car. She'll be just fine. :D

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
:o im only 23 and i loved heman. had the heman, battle cat, and skeletor action figures... :headbang

Skeletor was one of Brian's nicknames from HS. Hence he has a bunch of those figures buried in the house somewhere.

My aunt bought us (from a garage sale) the skeltor castle to play with when we would stay by her house. I had a blast with that thing.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
Videos were so bad then. Half the time they would just be sitting in a white room or on a stage playing their song. Wtf is with that? I mean how cheesy does it get. I would rather not waste the money on that garbage if i were them.

"The first time ever I saw your face" Roberta Flack - May 16, 1972. Perfectly worthy of being butchered on American Idol.

What's really sad about the old videos is that I used to watch them and try to record the songs I liked by holding a little radio up to the tv and pressing record. Poor, poor quality. Kids today have it made.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
O.K., this thread is just driving me insane! How have you people never heard of some of these songs??? How could you have never heard of Starship or that terrible song!?! WOW!!!

On a side note with that one, Starship guitarist Craig Chaquico has actually turned into one of the best guitarists working today, and if you like kind of cool Jazz stuff, check him out. A little too "radio friendly Jazz" for me, but still some dang great stuff he has done.

I'm surprised by your age that you are as into Bea as you are. I had no idea you were a young kid. But I guess that makes more sense than my slight obsession with Lillian Gish. And your interest in 70's stuff helps make the Bea stuff more understandable.

Easy man, I don't listen to a lot of 80's music. Maybe I've heard it before but I don't recall. I'm not born in 1970 like you are. I wouldn't remember it.

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
Shock the Monkey was a controversial song/video, before Marilyn Manson and NIN got onto there.

It is also still a superior song. NIN and Manson fans, don't get in a tizzy, I like both of those bands, I just think Gabriel did a better job with a message.

William, I wasn't addressing you exactly, so much as all of the people that have never heard some REALLY big hits from back then. And yes, I am sure many of the songs you have heard but are just not familiar with the bands and titles. But there have been a few listed that have seriously shocked me for people to have NOT heard or to know the name of. "Come On Eileen" is a song where he says the title almost every single line. I'll list the songs I am surprised got the "never heard of it" if you would like. Trust me though, some of these songs are better to be forgotten.

Though "Come On Eilleen" is a cool song...