Neal Focking Cotts

sox-r-us

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 14, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
I thought you like uribe a lot? Do you think uribe will go back to how he was before last year or what?

I do like Uribe a lot, but he's a good candidate for regression... .260/.300 with power is prolly about what I think we'll get out of him. Crede on the other hand I think .250/.300 is the floor for what he'll give us.

Cotts will be down below an era of 5 soon enough and he's our worst reliever s***, I'm happy.

I love the smart folks who defend Neal Botch

He has a 8+ ERA and they will still defend him

Career 6.14 ERA for a focking reliever is TERRIBLE

The guy comes for 2 innings max and gives up runs every single time

Cotts is going to grow his beard back and hunt you down. Then he'll rack up the holds as replacements for his dull razour blades, had he been still shaving.

:chair

Seems like there are games Ozzie is willing to give up to a degree with Cotts/Politte and games he wants where we'll see Marty/Vizcaino/Hermanson in middle relief.

Is this the best way to manage the bullpen? Save the good guys for some games and possibly throw away some with the two worst pitchers being the first guys out.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 01:10 AM)
Is this the best way to manage the bullpen?  Save the good guys for some games and possibly throw away some with the two worst pitchers being the first guys out.

That is retarded.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
Seems like there are games Ozzie is willing to give up to a degree with Cotts/Politte and games he wants where we'll see Marty/Vizcaino/Hermanson in middle relief.

Is this the best way to manage the bullpen?  Save the good guys for some games and possibly throw away some with the two worst pitchers being the first guys out.

I don't think so. You should always go with the hot hand, not just go with guys who need work.

You could also mix it up...not have the two worst pitchers you have go in the same game. Maybe have Politte work on the same nights as Viz, and Cotts on the same night as Hermanson...or something similar to that. Also, when you have bigger leads in games...even 2 runs, where 1 run does not kill you...you should also go to Cotts and Politte for about an inning.

The key to a bullpen is to have as many guys succeed in the situations you present to them as possible. That is why you do not have your closer come in when you are up by 5, and you don't have your worst reliever enter a 1 run game, and in some cases, a 2 run game...that really depends on the situation. That is also why I am really not for letting you closer close a game when you are up by 3 just because it is a save situation.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)
I don't think so.  You should always go with the hot hand, not just go with guys who need work.

You could also mix it up...not have the two worst pitchers you have go in the same game.  Maybe have Politte work on the same nights as Viz, and Cotts on the same night as Hermanson...or something similar to that.  Also, when you have bigger leads in games...even 2 runs, where 1 run does not kill you...you should also go to Cotts and Politte for about an inning. 

The key to a bullpen is to have as many guys succeed in the situations you present to them as possible.  That is why you do not have your closer come in when you are up by 5, and you don't have your worst reliever enter a 1 run game, and in some cases, a 2 run game...that really depends on the situation.  That is also why I am really not for letting you closer close a game when you are up by 3 just because it is a save situation.

The thing is when they give up runs they usually don't give up one at a time. It always seems to be two or three at once. Seems like we cannot afford to have either of them in unless we are losing by a lot or winning by alot. I still don't think our bullpen is as good as most do. When you have both politt and cotts in there how can it be considered one of the best? I have heard that around here alot in the off season. We still need to upgrade now or at the dead line if we are serious in my opinion.

Three runs should also not be considered a save situation... just seems a little ridiculous to me... but i have said that before.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
The thing is when they give up runs they usually don't give up one at a time. It always seems to be two or three at once. Seems like we cannot afford to have either of them in unless we are losing by a lot or winning by alot. I still don't think our bullpen is as good as most do. When you have both politt and cotts in there how can it be considered one of the best? I have heard that around here alot in the off season. We still need to upgrade now or at the dead line if we are serious in my opinion.

Three runs should also not be considered a save situation... just seems a little ridiculous to me... but i have said that before.

That is a problem...so in those instances, Politte and Cotts would be on very short leashes, and at the first sign of trouble, you have one of Viz/Marte/Herm/Shingo come in and try and bail them out.

I would agree that we need some improvements in the pen if we want to make a long run into the playoffs too. Our depth could very well be second to none in the majors, but depth does not mean a lot in the playoffs when depth is a 4.50 ERA in the pen. Serviceable relievers do not cut it in the playoffs...they have to be good.

I honestly have no idea why a 3-run lead is a save situation...it might have something to do with a grand slam giving the opposition the lead, but that happens like twice a year...so yeah, a 3-run save situation is just stupid and is a stat padder.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)

Well I hope 10 games into the season Ozzie's isn't assuming they're going to be bad the entire year.

It's real f***in easy to come and rip a guy after a bad night. That's real balls right there. He wasn;t good tonight but that doesn't mena his potential isn't high

Until he gains some control, Cotts isn't going to reach his potential. He needs to be at Charlotte working on that.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
Until he gains some control, Cotts isn't going to reach his potential.  He needs to be at Charlotte working on that.

Cough..... 33K's, 13 BB's after the all - star break last season. Gees you'd think he's pitching the way he did that 1 time in 2003 in Arizona. The funny thing is with Cotts though, he has much better splits against righties than left, yet most of his walks do come against righties, if that make sense somehow.

Cough..... 33K's, 13 BB's after the all - star break last season. Gees you'd think he's pitching the way he did that 1 time in 2003 in Arizona. The funny thing is with Cotts though, he has much better splits against righties than left, yet most of his walks do come against righties, if that make sense somehow.

So his first half of last season doesn't count? He had 58 K's and 30 BB's last season.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)
So his first half of last season doesn't count?  He had 58 K's and 30 BB's last season.

Improvement as teh season progressed? Sure, he is struggling..he is also just turning 25 and in his 2nd season of MLB level competition.

Cotts didn't get the job done. Plain and simple. Does one outing show he shouldn't be in the sox bullpen? No.

As far as using the bullpen, did guys want to see Viz/ Dustin/ Marte in when the sox are down 3 runs in the 7th inning? Cotts was left in, didn't give up a run in the 7th, and Politte was solid for the 8th. This gives the Sox the best four bullpen guys to pitch Friday with rest. All four could also pitch Sat. as well.

Also, Viz/ Dustin/ Marte/ Shingo shouldn't come in to get outs during the 6th inning. that's up to Cotts and Politte. If they can't handle it, then someone else will be brought in. Yet 9 games into the season, is too early

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 06:06 AM)
Never fails here........

Someone should really start a list of all the "sucks" or "hates" or "blows" threads over the season. Im sure we would have no one to root for by July........

Lets see there's been atleast one thread blaming someone after every loss so going by that we wouldn't have a team at all because these guys would have shipped everyone off, this is ridiculous, seriously. Teams lose in baseball, players make mistakes get used to it cause it's going to happen many more times this year, yeesh.

This is very typical on almost every board. The Sox lose and people start crying about who sucks and should be cut or sent to the minors. These guys had a bad freaking night, it happens. I don't think you can blame just one guy for this either. Nobody really looked that good last night. Overall the defense looked terrible and the pitching was certainly not stellar...get over it.