Mariners

Texsox

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Garcia trade was definitely good for the Mariners. Our catching cupboard is pretty pathetic and Randy Wynn just wasn't cutting it as a centerfielder.

I dont' think Garcia had much interest in resigning with the Mariners either. I think there's some bad blood there. A year or so back, they had a kind of ugly arbitration hearing with him in which he won. The difference in money was less than a $million, but the PR savy Mariners came out and cried that because of Freddy we can't afford to improve the team at the trading deadline.

Freddy can be a bit of a headcase too. His stuff is great, but for some reason he can develop a mental block that prevents him from pitching well. With some of the problems he had with Mariner management (they also traded away his buddy, Carlos Guillen) I doubt he would have ever pulled his head out for them.

Looks like he's put it together for you guys so far this year, eh? Were his performances as good as his numbers look? Sunday should be a fun game.

The Mariner's starter tonight was thinking about staying at Freddy's house during the the series. With any luck for you guys, he'll be showing up at today's game with one heck of a hangover. :drink

Looks like a tip top place y'all got here.

Your emoticons are much more violent and drunk then the ones we have. I dig.

By the way--did you enjoy Ben Davis? :lol:

All I know is that you guys have some great avatars in here.

2004Ms.jpg

As for the birkenstock and coffee jabs...oh yeah, all you Chicago guys, um...get blown away? It's windy there, right? Or something. Illinois?

Freddy is indeed the great unknown - if he pitches like he did in 2001 / parts of 2004, I would see it was a pretty equal trade. Considering the M's were known to want to ditch him though, I'd say they did well regardless. If Freddy pulls a 2003 - it MIGHT make some of us feel better about the Varitek / Lowe trade of long ago.

Pierzynski seems to be fairly well liked by the fans here - no incidents yet?

QUOTE(Element @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 11:08 PM)
Yeah, that was me  :D More of a joke, but it was a great trade IMO.

Well, you guys are getting a hell of a player in Reed.

Olivo, on the other hand, I dunno -- I think a lot of people overrate Olivo. He was a career .286 hitter in the minors, which, while good, isn't spectacular. He's also got an OBP of less than .300 in over 600 ML AB's, which is pretty bad. I know he's got a cannon behind homeplate, but other than that (and that he's pretty good against lefties), he isn't a top player. I think .260-.280 AVG might just be his peak...

But, Reed will be really good. I think it was a win-win deal for both teams.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
I know this is Pinero's first start of the season, but what has he done prior to tonight this season.

Was he starting in Tacoma?

Was he throwing simulated games?

How did he fare?

Pineiro threw one very solid start at AAA allowing 5 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, and striking out six over seven innings.

HOWEVER, I'm not holding my breath for a Mariner victory tonight - I'm of the opinion that they probably should have let him have a couple AAA starts since it has been quite a long time since he's gotten regular work. So, I figure it is at least 50/50 that we'll either get the Pineiro we know and love, or some walk-crazy rusty monster that gets knocked out in the first inning.

QUOTE(IgnatiusReillyTheThird @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
Pierzynski seems to be fairly well liked by the fans here - no incidents yet?

He gave borchard a 100 dollars for hitting a home run off of tomko. He is really like thus far it seems. In my opinion all of the things that happened in the past were sorta blown out of proportion. I really like how he pisses people off and can get into the opposing players heads. He ahs also been very good handling are pitchers this year.

I don't like the pitching match-up for us tonight. Timo Perez is in the starting line-up. LEADING OFF!! That's not a good omen.

Mariners - 6

Sox - 3

Pitching matchups look much more favorable this weekend, and hopefully Pods is healthy. Sox rebound to take the series on the back-to-back pitching performances of Buehrle and Freddy Daytime.hidalgo>

QUOTE(IgnatiusReillyTheThird @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
Pineiro threw one very solid start at AAA allowing 5 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, and striking out six over seven innings. 

Really? On the Rainiers site it says 1 ER on a HR. Still a good start.

Speez at first today, there goes half our power.

Argh! Wild pitch by Jo-El. Still needs to get some of that rust off.

Hey southsider, I tried to get into the Live Chat but it gave me the Authentication error message.

Do I need to do something to get into it or what?

Like what I'm seeing so far, Jo-El keeping the ball down :headbang

Edited by Goose

QUOTE(Goose @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
Speez at first today, there goes half our power.

Argh! Wild pitch by Jo-El. Still needs to get some of that rust off.

Hey southsider, I tried to get into the Live Chat but it gave me the Authentication error message.

Do I need to do something to get into it or what?

Like what I'm seeing so far, Jo-El keeping the ball down :headbang

Try it now and see if it works.

QUOTE(wufners @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
The Garcia trade was definitely good for the Mariners.  Our catching cupboard is pretty pathetic and Randy Wynn just wasn't cutting it as a centerfielder.

I dont' think Garcia had much interest in resigning with the Mariners either.  I think there's some bad blood there.  A year or so back, they had a kind of ugly arbitration hearing with him in which he won.  The difference in money was less than a $million, but the PR savy Mariners came out and cried that because of Freddy we can't afford to improve the team at the trading deadline.

Freddy can be a bit of a headcase too.  His stuff is great, but for some reason he  can develop a mental block that prevents him from pitching well.  With some of the problems he had with Mariner management (they also traded away his buddy, Carlos Guillen) I doubt he would have ever pulled his head out for them.

Looks like he's put it together for you guys so far this year, eh?  Were his performances as good as his numbers look?  Sunday should be a fun game.

The Mariner's starter tonight was thinking about staying at Freddy's house during the the series.  With any luck for you guys, he'll be showing up at today's game with one heck of a hangover. :drink

Looks like a tip top place y'all got here.

Your emoticons are much more violent and drunk then the ones we have.  I dig.

By the way--did you enjoy Ben Davis? :lol:

When you look at the Garcia trade, It really does seem like one of those trades thats good for both teams. Garcia is a workhorse pitcher with filthy stuff and gets along very well with Ozzie (considering they have family ties). The Sox gave up a good deal of talent betting they could get Freddy to agree to a deal and they got him at less than market value (it was an insane market for FA pitching this year).

The Mariners got rid of a guy they didn't want to pay and immediately added two young starters (Reed, Olivo) as well as a good shortstop prospect in Mike Morse. Personally I think Reed is the guy that will be solid out of the trade as I'm just not a fan of Olivo's plate calling skills or his offense. Hell, to be honest every time he was at the plate tonight I had full confidence in whoever was on the mound that he'd be a routine out.

Still Jeremy Reed has a shot to be a real fun player to watch for a real long time. As far as Ben Davis goes, I don't think he was all that bad with the Sox last year and he's been hitting the ball well down in AAA. Attitude was good and he had some clutch hits last year for the club. Wouldn't call him great, nor would I call him bad.