Mariners

Texsox

QUOTE(IgnatiusReillyTheThird @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
All I know is that you guys have some great avatars in here. 

2004Ms.jpg

As for the birkenstock and coffee jabs...oh yeah, all you Chicago guys, um...get blown away?  It's windy there, right?  Or something.  Illinois?

Freddy is indeed the great unknown - if he pitches like he did in 2001 / parts of 2004, I would see it was a pretty equal trade.  Considering the M's were known to want to ditch him though, I'd say they did well regardless.  If Freddy pulls a 2003 - it MIGHT make some of us feel better about the Varitek / Lowe trade of long ago. 

Pierzynski seems to be fairly well liked by the fans here - no incidents yet?

AJ has been a blessing for the White Sox. The signing may not of been a big ticket move by ESPN analysts, but he's the best catcher the Sox have had since Carlton Fisk. He calls a superb game and just gets along with everyone in the clubhouse.

Plus once the game starts he means nothing but business. Good hitter, real smart player, and he does all the little things that help your ballclub win. For example he had a terrific take out slide in the 8th inning today on Boone that prevented a double play and in turn got Rowand in. That run turned out to be a pretty big one. They may of won by two, but had they not been the infielders would of been in when Hermy came in and well thats a whole nother scenario.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to give my two cents. Pineiro may of gotten the loss but he looked pretty sharp. He could of had better command but as usual when watching Joel pitch he had some awesome breaking pitches.

His problem was simply the strike zone, but all in all I'd have to say it was a good outing. I've long wished he could find his way on over to the South Side, pretty much ever since he creamed the Sox in his MLB debut.

On a sidenote, you guys got a true stud in Beltre. I'm from the SoCal area and watched him play a ton and he's absolutely the best defensive 3rd baseman in baseball. Rolen gets the love, but Beltre is better, no doubt about it and offensively as long as he remains semi patient (that was the big difference for him last year) he'll continue to put up monster numbers.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 15, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
I don't like the pitching match-up for us tonight.  Timo Perez is in the starting line-up.  LEADING OFF!! That's not a good omen.

Mariners - 6

Sox - 3

Pitching matchups look much more favorable this weekend, and hopefully Pods is healthy.  Sox rebound to take the series on the back-to-back pitching performances of Buehrle and Freddy Daytime.

hidalgo>

I should make more predictions like that.

Yeah, Pineiro looked like he still knew how to pitch, but as predicted, probably could have used a bit more loosening up in AAA. Of course, with injuries and lack of depth, who else were we going to throw out there? He didn't give the game away regardless, so good enough.

I had forgotten how much I dislike Carl Everett though; just the site of him. GRRRRR.

Just to give my two cents. Pineiro may of gotten the loss but he looked pretty sharp.  He could of had better command but as usual when watching Joel pitch he had some awesome breaking pitches. 

His problem was simply the strike zone, but all in all I'd have to say it was a good outing.  I've long wished he could find his way on over to the South Side, pretty much ever since he creamed the Sox in his MLB debut. 

On a sidenote, you guys got a true stud in Beltre.  I'm from the SoCal area and watched him play a ton and he's absolutely the best defensive 3rd baseman in baseball.  Rolen gets the love, but Beltre is better, no doubt about it and offensively as long as he remains semi patient (that was the big difference for him last year) he'll continue to put up monster numbers.

Beltre plays better defense than Rolen? I hope you're joking...

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
Beltre plays better defense than Rolen?  I hope you're joking...

Not even close to joking. Those that watch Beltre play every day or close to it will soon see just how sick of a defensive player he really is.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
Not even close to joking.  Those that watch Beltre play every day or close to it will soon see just how sick of a defensive player he really is.

Beltre is going to save a lot of runs for the Mariners with his glove alone, that's for sure...

Edited by CWSGuy406

I should add, I'm not saying Rolen isn't good. He's the 2nd best in the league. All you got to do is watch Beltre for a couple weeks and you'll see his the best 3rd baseman in all of baseball (defensively and offensively).

He has soft hands, great range, and an absolutely CANNON. Plus he makes the short roller down the line look so easy.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 11:13 AM)
I should add, I'm not saying Rolen isn't good.  He's the 2nd best in the league.  All you got to do is watch Beltre for a couple weeks and you'll see his the best 3rd baseman in all of baseball (defensively and offensively). 

He has soft hands, great range, and an absolutely CANNON.  Plus he makes the short roller down the line look so easy.

I didn't watch him enough in the nl to make any judgements on him defensively but that play he made on Koney yesterday was unreal, probably one of the better defensive players I've ever seen.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
I didn't watch him enough in the nl to make any judgements on him defensively but that play he made on Koney yesterday was unreal, probably one of the better defensive players I've ever seen.

definitely a nice grab, he stole a hit from my fantasy stats

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeguchansodnik @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
OUr boys have sure scared off those M's fans.  :o  :lolhitting

LOL - You're forgetting we lost 99 games last year. A couple of road losses won't scare us away. :P

Actually, I was hoping for more of a two way street, but I think we only got 2-3 Sox fans to come visit us. Maybe next time. ;)

QUOTE(marinergeek @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
LOL - You're forgetting we lost 99 games last year.  A couple of road losses won't scare us away. :P

Actually, I was hoping for more of a two way street, but I think we only got 2-3 Sox fans to come visit us.  Maybe next time.  ;)

I tried to register, but never got the confirmation email. :huh

QUOTE(marinergeek @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
LOL - You're forgetting we lost 99 games last year.  A couple of road losses won't scare us away. :P

Actually, I was hoping for more of a two way street, but I think we only got 2-3 Sox fans to come visit us.  Maybe next time.  ;)

One thing about this board is that it is definately a weeknight board. We have a solid group of workhours posters, and a little bit bigger group of nighttime posters, but our numbers drop like a rock on the weekends. That is because we all have better things to do than to hang out on Soxtalk on a weekend Thanks for coming over. Things went really well, and good luck to you guys on the season, especially Wilson, Jeremy, and Miguel :)