Teen Practicing Parallel Parking

DonkeyKongerko

Teen Backs Car Over Mother in N.J.

Friday, April 15, 2005

(04-15) 12:14 PDT Marlboro, N.J. (AP) --

A 16-year-old girl who was practicing how to parallel park struck and killed her mother, authorities said.

No charges will be filed, Robert A. Honecker Jr., a Monmouth County prosecutor, said Friday. "This is going down as a tragic accident," he said.

Ryta Z. Deriso was watching her daughter, who had a valid learner's permit, when the accident happened Thursday.

The two had set up cones on a quiet street near their home, Honecker said. Neighbors told investigators the girl was backing up when she pressed the accelerator, causing the car to jump onto the curb and hit her mother, he said.

Deriso, 44, of Marlboro, was pronounced dead later Thursday, Honecker said. Her daughter's name was not released because she is a juvenile.

I imagine this girl will need years of therapy.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
Yeah, that's probably true. How do you convince her that it wasn't her fault? You can't. Wow.

Not to sound cruel, but it WAS her fault. She is the one that hit the wrong pedal. Yes, it was an accident, but it was still her fault. DK was right, she willprobably need years of therapy.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
Not to sound cruel, but it WAS her fault.  She is the one that hit the wrong pedal. Yes, it was an accident, but it was still her fault.  DK was right, she willprobably need years of therapy.

Not to disagree, but it was the mother's fault. Why stand anywhere near the car?

No use in blaming anyone. It was a tragic accident, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Hopefully she can recover.

No offense but something sounds fishy about this. I mean maybe i'm a cynic but I don't see how you accidently hit the wrong peddle. I know why I was first driving a car I was scared to death and I was acutely aware of which peddle was what.

Hopefully this is just a tragic accident but something just doesn't sound right about it

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
Not to sound cruel, but it WAS her fault.  She is the one that hit the wrong pedal. Yes, it was an accident, but it was still her fault.  DK was right, she willprobably need years of therapy.

I hope you realize that is exactly what I was saying.

Like Jeckle said, I don't know how you hit the wrong pedal. However, I've heard stories of people doing it all the time. People are idiots, what can I say?

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)
No offense but something sounds fishy about this. I mean maybe i'm a cynic but I don't see how you accidently hit the wrong peddle. I know why I was first driving a car I was scared to death and I was acutely aware of which peddle was what.

Hopefully this is just a tragic accident but something just doesn't sound right about it

its easy to do. There's nothing fishy about it.

Not to mention that when you first learn how to drive, your foot is kinda clumsy. It takes a while to learn the feel for gradually accelerating. In fact, ever time I get into a different car, it takes me a little while to learn the gas pedal. She probably still had a clumsy foot, accidently floored it and the Mom didn't have time to get out of the way. :huh

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
Not to mention that when you first learn how to drive, your foot is kinda clumsy. It takes a while to learn the feel for gradually accelerating. In fact, ever time I get into a different car, it takes me a little while to learn the gas pedal. She probably still had a clumsy foot, accidently floored it and the Mom didn't have time to get out of the way.    :huh

exactly.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
poor girl.

when we were all learning to drive we've all done that.

What a tragedy

:o

Ahh, I didn't kill my mom learning to drive. :o :P

I can not imagine the torment this poor girl is going to have to live with.

send daughter t driving school.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
Ahh, I didn't kill my mom learning to drive.  :o  :P

I can not imagine the torment this poor girl is going to have to live with.

send daughter t driving school.

:finger cute tex, cute

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
I don't understand how accidentally pressing the gas pedal would make the car go instantly fast enough to run over the mom and kill her.

It should have left some bruises maybe even a broken bone or two. But i mean what the f*** did she stomp on the gas pedal?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
It should have left some bruises maybe even a broken bone or two. But i mean what the f*** did she stomp on the gas pedal?

Or hold down the gas?

Or was she parallel paking at 40mph?

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
I don't understand how accidentally pressing the gas pedal would make the car go instantly fast enough to run over the mom and kill her.

She was probably trying to slam on the brakes really hard and acciedently floored it.

When I was learning to drive I was making a left turn at an intersection. When I looked, there was nobody coming, but suddenly a car came out of the car dealership and across the road right in front of me. I tried to slam on the brakes but I accidently hit both pedals, so I just kind of skidded. That was mostly because of my monstrously wide feet however.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
She was probably trying to slam on the brakes really hard and acciedently floored it.

When I was learning to drive I was making a left turn at an intersection. When I looked, there was nobody coming, but suddenly a car came out of the car dealership and across the road right in front of me. I tried to slam on the brakes but I accidently hit both pedals, so I just kind of skidded. That was mostly because of my monstrously wide feet however.

I understand that, but when you accidentally floor a car your foot in on the gas for a fraction of a second. Like maybe 250-500ms.

A crappy no power car (eg Dodge Neon) needs like 5 seconds to get to 30. I don't understand how you can get your car to a terminal velocity by accidentally pushing the wrong pedal. When you feel it accelerate you take your foot off that pedal...She couldn't have gone above 10-15 mph.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
I understand that, but when you accidentally floor a car your foot in on the gas for a fraction of a second. Like maybe 250-500ms.

A crappy no power car (eg Dodge Neon) needs like 5 seconds to get to 30. I don't understand how you can get your car to a terminal velocity by accidentally pushing the wrong pedal. When you feel it accelerate you take your foot off that pedal...She couldn't have gone above 10-15 mph.

She probably panicked, and some panickers can't control their bodies. I've seen it first hand.

:chair