Jermaine Dye

DBAHO

I'm just going through some of Dye's stats from this year and last to see if there's any correlation from his struggles so far. Now there were some interesting stats that I have found from last season that I would like to point out.

- In 2004, in 333 AB's in NIGHT games, Dye had splits of .228/.294/.438. Now could someone point out to me how many night games the Sox have played in so far, and how many they do play this year compared to day games?

- Also in 2004 FWIW, Dye had splits of .327/.388/.508 in DAY games.

- Against righties, Dye's OBP was .69 worse than against lefties. 72 more K's from 210 more AB's.

Now most of us (including myself) thought Dye was a good signing for the price, considering he would probably hit more HR's than he did last season from hitting at Oakland. Maybe that isn't so cut and dry now unfortunately, although it is still early. He is under pressure though.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 2, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)
If he continues this way up until Thomas's return, he will find himself as the 4th outfielder as Everett will take over in RF permanently.

Is Everett going to good enough defensively though especially for Ozzie's liking? It's kind of a double edged sword. Hence, why it's actually quite important for Dye to get his stroke back before Frank returns.

Day http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/battin...Type=2&type=reg.097A .125O .194S 31 AB

Night http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/battin...Type=2&type=reg.224 A .255O .388S 49 AB

Day http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/battin...Type=2&type=reg.327 A .388O .508S 199 AB

Night http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/battin...Type=2&type=reg.228 A .294O .438S 333 AB

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

If he sucks this much the whole season i wouldnt mind if he becomes our 4th OF next year, and Rowand can play RF with Anderson taking over in CF.

Dye :puke

But seeing as that we are only done with 1 month of baseball, ill give him another to start turning things around.

I think the only hope lies in his monthly's:

04 April 94AB .298A .359O .596S - Well that's gone

04 May 95AB .232A .308O .368S - better than 05 Apr

04 Jun 103AB .330A .366O .563S - Big lift

04 Jul 95AB .253A .324O .400S - average player

04 Aug 87AB .172A .250O .299S - will kill us this year

04 Sep 48AB .292A .357O .604S - Big lift if we survive Aug

2003 was just horrible. 2002 he was an average player.

01 Aug 106AB .330A .425O .594S - A dream come true.

01 Sep 83AB .265A .323O .506S - Better than average

01 Oct 20AB .250A .286O .550S - Better than average

01 Pre AS 321AB .280A .345O .430S - Average

02 Pos AS 278AB .284A .347O .511S - Better than average

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 1, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
Is Everett going to good enough defensively though especially for Ozzie's liking? It's kind of a double edged sword. Hence, why it's actually quite important for Dye to get his stroke back before Frank returns.

I don't think Carl's defense will hurt us as much as Dye's overall play is hurting us so far. Keep in mind, along with his poor offense, Dye has not exactly been stellar in RF....so far. I think Carl can handle the routine plays, how many tough plays will come his way in RF? I say we give Dye another month, if he fails, put in Carl.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ May 1, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
I don't think Carl's defense will hurt us as much as Dye's overall play is hurting us so far. Keep in mind, along with his poor offense, Dye has not exactly been stellar in RF....so far. I think Carl can handle the routine plays, how many tough plays will come his way in RF? I say we give Dye another month, if he fails, put in Carl.

I agree especially with Hurt back...

a lineup of

Pods

Iguchi

Thomas

Kong

Everett

Rowand

AJ

Crede

Uribe

has alot more bite to it then anything with Jermaine "Easy Out" Dye in it.

You guys obviously don't remember the Carl Everett CF escapades from his last time around with us. After seeing him not hit cut off men, not take good paths to the ball, not make good decisions in the field, I'll pass on him playing RF.

Dye will be fine, my #1 beef with him in the lineup isn't that he is there, its that Oz continues to parade him out there in the #5 slot in the order. Um, no. Adjustments on teh batting order are necessary.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ May 1, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Pods arm = bad for CF

Everett's arm = bad for RF

Add to the fact that Everett is bad defensively, and you see why you want him in LF.

Plus, it's not like having a weak arm in CF is a bad thing...Juan Pierre is a very solid defensive CFer, but he throws like a girl(GASP :o ), and Kenny Lofton won 4 straight gold gloves in CF with a very not-so-strong arm

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ May 1, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
Everett's arm = bad for RF

Add to the fact that Everett is bad defensively, and you see why you want him in LF.

Plus, it's not like having a weak arm in CF is a bad thing...Juan Pierre is a very solid defensive CFer, but he throws like a girl(GASP  :o ), and Kenny Lofton won 4 straight gold gloves in CF with a very not-so-strong arm

How strong an arm do you need to hit a cut off man? Seems to me that the only time a strong arm would come into play would be at SS or 3B.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ May 1, 2005 -> 08:42 AM)

Was Carl playing some CF for us about 2 years ago???

QUOTE(3E8 @ May 2, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
I know he did in '03.  I also know it wasn't pretty.

He was straight up FUGLY in the field when he played out there that one game this year. That's the only thing that's bugging me about when Frank returns because both of them are horrible in the field.

i swear jermaine dye hit in the three spot with the A's last year and konerko hit in the fifth spot, we should use that and put everett in the fourth spot, maybe try it against the royals in this upcoming series, whats the worst that could happen