XBox 360

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ May 13, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
Who the f*** still plays Nintendo?

Not only do I still play my gamecube but I love it. I've never been a fan of the X-Box. I mean yes the graphics are slightly shaper but the gameplay is stiffer (which is just something I was never able to get over while playing it) I just perfer the control and handling of the PS2 and Gamecube.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ May 13, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
Gamecube, buddy.  Some of us like playing quality games instead of the next generic EA game.

:headshake

I also owned one of those for the first few months it was out...after there were no gamss to play I got rid of it...I've had all 3 systems...X wins...

The amount of hours I have played Halo2 live is more than I have played all video games my entire life. Plus I love the controller...I use the big old duke...I don't like the controllers for the other systems. I am obviously one of the few to say this. I must have big hands.

Xbox fanboys are laughable.

They fail to realize that the Hexbox was released a full year after the PS2. You can do a lot in a full year. You can analyze everything on the PS2 and make every part of your machine better. Yes, the Hexbox is a better machine, but when I already own a PS2 and then Hexbox comes out I'm not gonna lay down another 300 dollars for a machine with slightly better graphics, a hard drive, a monstrosity of a controller, and an opening day lineup that completely blows.

But I can also say that there are plenty of Xbox exclusive games that I enjoy. One of them not being Halo. That game is sooo overrated. The only fun aspect of it is the multiplayer, and just about any boring game can be made halfway fun with a multiplayer mode.

Edited by El Piervizdyeguchansodnik

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeguchansodnik @ May 13, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)

:cheers

I couldn't agree more. But all fanboys of all consoles in general (bots, drones, and tools), are laughable. Seriously, it befuddles me how people can willingly choose to limit themselves to only one console and then bash everything else. Why can't people just enjoy the games?

I've got to agree with whitesoxfan13. I mean honestly, what is the sense in getting all worked up over video games and consoles? While I can understand that perhaps some cannot afford to have 2 or 3 consoles and be able to enjoy them all, I am unable to understand why many are so easily worked up over a certain game/console. I'm not trying to make this arguement worse, but the first thing that always pops into my head in these situations is jealousy. Though I doubt that to be the real reason.. at least for many.

Anyway, in an attempt to cut this down, they are just games.. entertainment. They should be treated as such. There is absolutely no reason to get so worked up over them.

Edited by SmokeandMirrors

QUOTE(SmokeandMirrors @ May 13, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
I've got to agree with whitesoxfan13. I mean honestly, what is the sense in getting all worked up over video games and consoles? While I can understand that perhaps some cannot afford to have 2 or 3 consoles and be able to enjoy them all, I am unable to understand why many are so easily worked up over a certain game/console. I'm not trying to make this arguement worse, but the first thing that always pops into my head in these situations is jealousy. Though I doubt that to be the real reason.. at least for many.

Anyway, in an attempt to cut this down, they are just games.. entertainment. They should be treated as such. There is absolutely no reason to get so worked up over them.

:notworthy

QUOTE(SmokeandMirrors @ May 13, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)

I just like starting arguments.

QUOTE(El Piervizdyeguchansodnik @ May 13, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)

They fail to realize that the Hexbox was released a full year after the PS2. You can do a lot in a full year. You can analyze everything on the PS2 and make every part of your machine better. Yes, the Hexbox is a better machine, but when I already own a PS2 and then Hexbox comes out I'm not gonna lay down another 300 dollars for a machine with slightly better graphics, a hard drive, a monstrosity of a controller, and an opening day lineup that completely blows.

But I can also say that there are plenty of Xbox exclusive games that I enjoy. One of them not being Halo. That game is sooo overrated. The only fun aspect of it is the multiplayer, and just about any boring game can be made halfway fun with a multiplayer mode.

PS2 fanboys are laughable.

• 3 months later...

Just bumping this thread because the price details have been announced. From Gamespot;

The 360 gets two spins: the $299 "Core System," and the $399 fully-loaded package with 20GB hard drive, wireless controller and headset, HD cables, and remote control.

As the Big Three (Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo) planned their business tactics for the next-generation console wars, none have been willing to divulge their strategies, lest competitors get the scoop. All that was left was for industry media, fans, and analysts to speculate on what would be of the new consoles.

In its quest to get the console out in time for the holiday season, Microsoft hasn't exactly kept the shutters drawn on its secrets of its next-gen contribution, the Xbox 360. Pictures of the console surfaced before its debut on MTV, its name was exposed before the company could spin it itself, and the prospect of standard wireless controllers came with no strings attached.

Today, Microsoft laid down new facts about its upcoming console at the Games Convention in Leipzig, and they sounded awfully familiar to analyst predictions and forum posters' speculations.

Microsoft announced that the Xbox 360 will be released in two SKUs, the "Xbox 360 Core System" and the "Xbox 360." The two products will be sold at $299 and $399, respectively. The two systems break down as follows:

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)

•Xbox 360 console

•Wired controller

•Detachable faceplate

•Xbox Live Silver membership

•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)

•Xbox 360 console

•20GB detachable hard drive

•Wireless controller

•Wireless Xbox Live headset

•High-definition AV cables

•Ethernet cable

•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)

•Detachable faceplate

•Xbox Live Silver membership

Peter Moore, Xbox corporate vice president of Worldwide Marketing and Publishing, who spoke with GameSpot, reiterated that the Xbox 360 is still on schedule to launch simultaneously in North America, Europe, and Japan this holiday season. Details on the specifics of the Japanese release will be disclosed at this year's Tokyo Game Show, which begins September 16.

He explained that the idea behind the two choices came from "lessons learned from the first generation [of Xbox], but perhaps more importantly to provide the gamer with choices in pricing as applicable to their gaming habits." In addition, gamers will be able to select from a range of peripherals, available at launch:

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)

• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)

• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)

• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)

• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)

• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)

• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)

• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)

• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)

• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

It's too early to get a reaction from gamers on Microsoft's pricing plan, but a few analysts privy to the information were able to chime in with their thoughts.

One analyst who spoke with GameSpot said, "I think tiered pricing makes sense, particularly as Microsoft wants to offer hard core gamers more advanced services. $299 is clearly a price leader and headline grabber, but I imagine they initially expect to ship (and sell) a majority of units at the higher price point. Also, with a $299 SKU, they avoid disappointing consumers, who are likely to compare launch pricing with the PS2 in 2000 and original Xbox in 2001."

The analyst adds, "As far as the publishers are concerned, Microsoft needs to make sure that publishers are making games that can be played with or without a hard-drive, and I think they are communicating this message."

Michael Pachter, of Wedbush Morgan Securities, wasn't as cheerful. He sees the $299 model as a "publicity stunt." "They're doing it to say they are launching at $299. The hardcore guys will absolutely not buy the $299 model...Only a complete idiot would buy the $299 model."

Pachter references Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi's statement saying the PlayStation 3 would "be expensive" as an attempt to "psych Microsoft into charging $399." But, he sees the $399 price point as providing Microsoft with breathing room to lower the price once the PS3 is released, which is projected to be in 2006, or even 2007.

Regarding the release date, Moore said there have been no announcements made primarily for competitive reasons, but also because Microsoft was still monitoring the production flow of the console's components and localization of launch titles. "One thing we won't do is underserve the market and leave retailers high and dry. That never works, that just leaves more people who are P.O.'d at us than happy with us."

There are also still no games that are definitely launch titles. But Moore does outline the strategy Microsoft is approaching. "So much is going to happen in the next couple of months...My view is simple, you need to make sure that you have the key genres covered at launch. Take care of sports, racing, action-adventure, fantasy, first-person shooters. I think there are check marks that need to go in boxes to make sure that gamers have games they are looking for in a particular genre. We're still tracking 24 to 40 Xbox 360 games for release before the end of the calendar year. I think you'll see that all the titles we got excited about at E3 are still firmly in that launch window [90 days from the release of the Xbox 360]."

But what about gamers who aren't ready to jump into the next generation? Moore seems pleased with the current success of the original Xbox, and doesn't see any price drop with the console. "We’re selling all we can get [made]. Our biggest challenge is to meet demand and what is typically a very quiet time of year. So no, I don't see any plans to change any pricing as we currently stand on the Xbox."

QUOTE(farmteam @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
What does "Xbox Live Silver" membership mean?

Basically absolutly nothing. From my understanding, you're not allowed to play full multiplayer online, so I don't get the purpose of it. It is free with the X-Flop 360 anyway, so it's not really included.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
What's a joke?  THe price?

400 dollars is pretty steep, regardless of the package. I know Sony and Nintendo are going to have smaller pricetags than that. Its always bad to come out with your stuff first. Gates has to start realizing the difference in Game Consoles and PCs. People need PCs for work, organization, etc. therefore the pricetags he slaps on his software is somewhat justified. But Gaming Consoles are pure entertainment, and on top of that they are cheaper within a year and out of date in 2 years.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
400 dollars is pretty steep, regardless of the package. I know Sony and Nintendo are going to have smaller pricetags than that. Its always bad to come out with your stuff first.  Gates has to start realizing the difference in Game Consoles and PCs.  People need PCs for work, organization, etc. therefore the pricetags he slaps on his software is somewhat justified.  But Gaming Consoles are pure entertainment, and on top of that they are cheaper within a year and out of date in 2 years.

I heard PS3 would be around $500...of course, that was early speculation.

I don't think its ridiculous at all...the previous generation of consoles started at $299. Gamecube was cheaper, but inferior.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 17, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
What's a joke?  THe price?

Yes. That 299$ is pure s***. No reason to buy it. Looks like Microsoft will be the only company still using cords. The 399$ is way to expensive for a gaming system. It's bad enough they make you pay to play games online. Also, for whatever reason, the idiots over at Mircrooft decided to skip out on Wi-Fi.

I am dissapointed in Microsoft. They had everything going to take the market share lead for next-gen(God knows it won't be Sony and their 1000$ PS3). Now they go ahead and screwed this up. I was interested in buying one, but I'm skipping out.

Right now I'm going to stick with the Revolution. It should be about 200-250$. Free, dedicated online play. 100% Wireless. Wi-Fi enabled. And the best thing ever on a video game system: every Nintendo game ever is comes available with the Revolution(Yes, all NES games, SNES games, N64 games. and GameCube games).

Edited by Buehrle>Wood