Which Players have you met?

NCsoxfan

Wondering which players you guys have met..... This does not mean that they gave you their autograph and thats it. Have anyone run into the players outside the ballpark or events?

Summer 2001 in Cleveland, I ran into Jon Garland and Kip Wells. Kip was decked out in cowboy attire. Jon seemed shocked to see that I recognized him. Maybe thats because it was 4 years ago, and he was pretty unknown. Garland was nice, but not the most friendly or talkative player that Ive met?

Anyone have any good or bad stories?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH

My dad, uncle, and cousin ran into Hawk Harrelson in the Plaza area of Kansas City a few years ago while we were there on our annual baseball trip.

He was going out for a walk and we walked with him for a couple of blocks and then we talked with him for about 10 minutes. Super nice guy, he invited us up to the broadcast booth before the game and we got pictures with he and Tom Paciorek.

On that same trip, we met a lot of the guys at a bar called Kelly's Westport Saloon, also near their hotel. Jim Parque wouldn't let us buy a beer and we hung around with him for about 2 hours ... he introduced us to several other players. That was right after the game where Brian Simmons homered from both sides of the plate.

Met Jon Garland last spring at Maloney's in Tucson, he was with his girlfriend, friendly enough but he didn't linger, nor did we expect him to.

One time in Boston, we stopped at a Fuddrucker's and my cousin pointed out Jason Bere. I wasn't certain it was him and my dad and uncle thought no, that's not Jason Bere. So we hung around for a few minutes and then sure enough, over the loudspeaker comes "Jason B. - Your order is ready". We started laughing and he kinda looked over at us like, "what's the deal". So we went over and introduced ourselves ... also a very nice guy.

Frank Thomas is very personable and gracious in person, have met him a few times in road cities.

In short, almost all athletes and people associated with the teams are almost unfailingly very polite and accommodating if the same consideration is given them, and you don't ask for too much of their time.

Notable exception: Pat Foley, Blackhawk broadcaster. Nothing but bad stories about him.

i didnt meet buehrle but he stared at me..........haha

i was at a braves white sox game a while back, and i had a sign that said TBS.. the braves suck...

buehrle stared at me for about five minutes before laughing.. at the same game him and garland threw pumpkin seeds at third base it was funny.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 13, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
My dad, uncle, and cousin ran into Hawk Harrelson in the Plaza area of Kansas

Notable exception:  Pat Foley, Blackhawk broadcaster.  Nothing but bad stories about him.

I used to play basketball with Pat Foley at the YMCA in Des Plaines several years ago. He was sort of an ass, and one of those players that thought he was pretty good when in reality he sucked big time.

working in the game I've met many players both on and off the field. As others have stated most are what they seem some good some bad. One that was totally different than the common perception was Jose Canseco. While he was an egoist he went out of his way to be nice to kids. I saw him hang around after games for an hour to sign for kids. after one ST game he sat for 21/2 hours to talk with kids. I asked him one time why and he said something to the effect of, "they are the future and we need to help them as much as possible. "

From my dealings:

The best guy of all time Robin Yount

When I was a student trainer he took me out for dinner and paid for everything just to say thanks for helping out around the club house.

The worst Gary Sheffield

i think I've poted why before and I don't like to dwell on negatives

IMHO

Forgot the best Sox: Once was on a plane with Harold Baines. Sat and talked with him for 2 hours. He answered every question and had an opinion on every possible topic. While not talkative, very personable and freindly.

Edited by ptatc

Guest JimH
I used to play basketball with Pat Foley at the YMCA in Des Plaines several years ago. He was sort of an ass, and one of those players that thought he was pretty good when in reality he sucked big time.

Your description is 100% on track with my experience, although I never played basketball with him.

He's a nasty drunk, but then again I shouldn't hold that against him because too many drinks hit lots of people the wrong way.

I've met him or run into him about a dozen times in the 20+ years he's been doing the games. No one I've been with has ever described him as personable, and actually we've witnessed a couple of times when he's been the exact opposite. Maybe he was just having a few bad days, who knows.

Billy Pierce, the Sox lefthander from the 50's is an extremely nice gentleman, as were broadcaster Vince Lloyd and Jack Brickhouse.

Harry Teinowitz, AM 1000, pleasant guy but my goodness I have never seen a guy more attached to his cell phone in my life.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 13, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
Harry Teinowitz, AM 1000, pleasant guy but my goodness I have never seen a guy more attached to his cell phone in my life.

LMAO... he had to be asked three times to take his blue tooth off during a round of golf at Bollingbrook CC.

Only player I have ever met is Dennis Savard. My buddy and I challenged him and his friend to a game of bubble hockey. they were at Champs in Oakbrook...

We won...and he was like best out of three. So we beat him again. He bought us a couple beers...and said thanks it was most fun he had in a while. I'm like you know I'll be telling everyone I beat Denis Savard..he was like yeah yeah...ya caught me on an off night. He continued to get hammered for like 3 horus after that ..and I was like dam Denny can put them away. 1 month later DUI.... :drink

I have not met any Sox players, but I do have to reply about Pat Foley - yes, I thought he was an asshole too. I'm good friends with Cliff Korroll, who played for the Blackhawks from 1968-1982 (he was Stan Mikita's main assist guy and was the best friend of the late Keith Magnuson - R.I.P.). I worked with Clliff's daughter in Bloomingdale back in the day and became a good family friend. Blah, blah, ...

Anyways, I was at Cliff's 50th birthday party and met Pat Foley there and he just came across as an arrogant, cocky meathead. So, I didn't even waste time talking to him. But, Mikita was kickass, as was Magnuson and Esposito. I went to their house the minute I heard the news about Magnuson to offer my condolences and sympathy. That was horrible. Cliff and Keith pretty much grew up together, played together at college in Denver and then both wound up teammates on the Blackhawks.

But yeah, Foley is not the nicest dude and that's putting it nicely.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ May 13, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
Steff why haven't you posted here??  Don't you know players??

I've found that every time I post in one of these threads I get treated like s*** for a few weeks to follow.

^_^

Billy Pierce is the nicest, classiest sports figure I've ever met. He's also intelligent and has a quick dry sense of humor. He remembers a lot of details from his playing days and is willing to share some of them with you. I met Chuck Tanner when he managed the White Sox. He came across as warm hearted and sincere, with great knowledge of the game. I always felt bad that things did not work out for him in Chicago. He handed the great Earl Weaver his head in the 79 World Series. Great job of managing.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 13, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
I've found that every time I post in one of these threads I get treated like s*** for a few weeks to follow.

^_^

Not by me. I may disagree with you from time to time but always appreciate hearing news from someone like you who actually has access and inside knowledge.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ May 13, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
Not by me. I may disagree with you from time to time but always appreciate hearing news from someone like you who actually has access and inside knowledge.

Yoss.. I don't think you and I have ever had a cross conversation. :cheers

It's just a select few that for some reason think I think my s*** don't stink because I know people who play professional sports.. :rolly

OOOoooooo... big friggin whip. They put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.

QUOTE(Steff @ May 13, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
Yoss.. I don't think you and I have ever had a cross conversation. :cheers

It's just a select few that for some reason think I think my s*** don't stink because I know people who play professional sports..  :rolly

OOOoooooo... big friggin whip. They put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us.

I agree. Some people just take it too far.

As far as them putting thier pants on one leg at a time, this does apply to most except for those how have taken the performance enhacers, theirs go on easier

:cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

Edited by ptatc