Notes: Harris' days numbered?

greasywheels121

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You got $50 million to give JR for 100 days of service a year from Mr. Griffey Jr.?

But he's worth it!

Ken Griffey's contract details:

2005: $12.5 million

2006: $12.5 million

2007: $12.5 million

2008: $12.5 million

2009: $12.5 million team option; $4 million buyout

* $5.5 million salary deferred until 2009

* $6.5 million salary deferred until 2009 to 2024

4-years, $66 million dollars for Griffey? Ummm, great idea!

Edited by Jabroni

I cringe when I hear the name Ken Griffey mentioned around these parts, without mentioning Austin Kearns or Willy Mo Pena first at least.

I honestly can't believe anyone would even suggest him. Griffey can't stay healthy to save his life, he still has $66 million left on his contract, and he has been on the decline for the past 4 years. The Reds would love to dump him on some stupid team.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:18 PM)
I honestly can't believe anyone would even suggest him.  Griffey can't stay healthy to save his life, he still has $66 million left on his contract, and he has been on the decline for the past 4 years.  The Reds would love to dump him on some stupid team.

They're stuck with him. Period. Other outfielder like Preston Wilson who you've already mentioned on other threads will easily be dealt before him.

They're stuck with him. Period. Other outfielder like Preston Wilson who you've already mentioned on other threads will easily be dealt before him.

Yep, Preston Wilson would make a lot more sense for a contender to add. He can do everything that Griffey can do (at this stage in Griffey's career). Wilson is earning $12 million this season but it is the last year of his contract. He won't be owed a gazillion dollars for years to come like Griffey.

Edited by Jabroni

Are we talking about Preston Wilson going to the White Sox, or going to another team?

Because...

Why the f*** would we want Preston Wilson?

No. We were just laughing at the suggestion that the Sox or any other team try to trade for Griffey. We said that Preston Wilson would be a much better target for other teams that need an outfielder. Neither of us suggested that the Sox should trade for Wilson. We already have Dye and Everett will mostly be on the bench with Frank back. We are probably the last team that needs another outfielder.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
Are we talking about Preston Wilson going to the White Sox, or going to another team?

Because...

Why the f*** would we want Preston Wilson?

I'll take Craig Wilson for 500 Alex. :)

I's like to see one of these guys, and I do not care which one, in a package trade for a starting 3B. Crede + (Harris, Perez, Ozuna) + whatever FutureSox™ we need to toss in. Just tossing one of these guys to AAA isn't helping the here and now.

Guest JimH
This really goes to show how much stock KW puts in clubhouse chemistry.  Timo is a prankster veteran and Willie seems to be a bit bigheaded at times.  I think it's a bad move when considering talent, but for team cohesiveness Timo should stay.

Good point.

If Harris gets sent down I certainly can't agree with it based on performance vs. Timo Perez. Sending Ozuna down would be a mistake, they have no other backup 3B. The reality though is we do not know what goes on in the clubhouse and the chemistry angle may play a big part in this.

Quote: But the organization always has been high on Perez's versatility and veteran presence.

Excuse me? We have PLENTY of veterans this year!

Marte, Hermy, Politte, Everett, Dye, Thomas, Koney, AJ, El Duque, Garcia, Buehrle. Not to mention Sox veterans like Crede, & Rowand.

We don't need veterans who have horrible numbers.

TPA/PA 3.46 He rarely consumes even 4 pitches!

GB/FB 1.12 - worse than Koney!

AB/HR 57 - uggh.

BB/PA .049 (less than 5% of his PA's are Walks!)

And this year his RON, & RISP numbers suck! There's absolutely no reason to keep Timo on this team! They are log jammed in RF & DH.

His D is nothing to write home about either. Between Timo or Carl in RF it's a toss-up. I might take Gload instead.

As for LF, if Pods is healthy he plays. Period. There's no platooning there.

He's young & he's durable. He can spell Rowand from time to time in CF if need be as well. Carl could manage LF for a game every now & then.

If Ozzie keeps Timo over Harris he's dumber than a box of rocks. Is Ozuna going to back up Guch, Uribe, & Crede? That's ridiculous.

Harris 2005:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=6798

He's made the best out of his opps vs LH & he's getting the job done vs RH.

He's always been a good bat vs RH.

Timo 2005:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?statsId=6568

There's nothing there! He sucks against both.

Harris can help you win games in more ways than Perez can. Period.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
Bad f***ing move.

Dump Timo, what the hell is going on here?

Ozuna should be dumped before Willie.

^^^

This is awful. Willie needs to stay with this club. Period.

Yup, I said it. Upper management is really starting to lose me with all these bonehead decisions.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 04:47 AM)
LOL.

You said Timo himself won us two games this year, when, the game he hit the homer in Minny, we went on to score three more runs after the homer.  Yet, I guess if Timo hadn't hit that homer, we wouldn't have scored any runs, huh?

And, if he doesn't f*** up at first base, we sweep Anahiem.

Timo sucks.

The homerun was clutch. How do you know it didn't start a rally? As far as first base, give me break. He doesn't make the lineup. Blame Ozzie for putting him there, he's obviously not a first baseman.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
^^^

This is awful.  Willie needs to stay with this club.  Period.

Yup, I said it.  Upper management is really starting to lose me with all these bonehead decisions.

The same boneheaded moves people complained about in the offseason are the ones that have us in first place. If Willie getting sent down, when at any time we could have him back up, loses you with a club with the best record in baseball, I have to say you have issues. Geez, has anyone considered that they want Willie to have more consistant playing time for when we may need him more down the stretch. Once you guys have your mind made up, that's it. You don't even consider what the true reasoning may be. All of you can think Ozzie is stupid or whatever, but the fact remains that he has this club playing good baseball. If that doesn't do it for you, maybe you should get a Knights hat and watch Willie down there.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
The same boneheaded moves people complained about in the offseason are the ones that have us in first place. If Willie getting sent down, when at any time we could have him back up, loses you with a club with the best record in baseball, I have to say you have issues. Geez, has anyone considered that they want Willie to have more consistant playing time for when we may need him more down the stretch. Once you guys have your mind made up, that's it. You don't even consider what the true reasoning may be. All of you can think Ozzie is stupid or whatever, but the fact remains that he has this club playing good baseball. If that doesn't do it for you, maybe you should get a Knights hat and watch Willie down there.

Listen bub, I think you ought to refamiliarize yourself with my post history before typing something as ignorant as that.

A) I loved every move this off-season save one--Orlando Hernandez.

B ) I loath Willie Harris with every inch of my being. You have no idea what the f*** you are talking about.

C) Getting Willie consistant playing time for when we need him down the strech? Excuse me for a moment won't you. :lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Timo :whichway Willie

You make the call.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
Listen bub, I think you ought to refamiliarize yourself with my post history before typing something as ignorant as that.

A) I loved every move this off-season save one--Orlando Hernandez.

B ) I loath Willie Harris with every inch of my being.  You have no idea what the f*** you are talking about. 

C) Getting Willie consistant playing time for when we need him down the strech?  Excuse me for a moment won't you. :lolhitting  :lolhitting  :lolhitting

Timo  :whichway  Willie

You make the call.

I'm just pointing out that you haven't considered all there is to consider. You have your mind made up, and that's great. However, the team has been put together well by management, as you point out that you recognize. Isn't there a chance that there is legitmate reasoning to this? How many at bats has Willie gotten this year? He's an everyday player. I don't think it's such a funny notion to want to give him more playing time when we are able to call him back if needed. Try being open minded Bub.

Edited by SEALgep

Guest JimH
What if one positive Timo has over Willie?

Willie can pinch run, Timo can't.

Willie is a way way better defender.

Willie can draw more walks.

Willie is a better contract hitter.

There is very little to refute your points.

I truly believe it has a lot to do with what goes on in the clubhouse, this is a chemistry issue.

This board can go on and on that chemistry is a stupid reason but the fact is we do not know what goes on in the clubhouse.

I've gotten to a point with this whole argument whereby if Guillen and KW think better chemistry is the determining factor in deciding who the 24th/25th man will be ... so be it.

Two other things to consider:

1. The move hasn't been made yet, other things can happen

2. Harris can be brought back up at any time

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
I'm just pointing out that you haven't considered all there is to consider. You have your mind made up, and that's great. However, the team has been put together well by management, as you point out that you recognize. Isn't there a chance that there is legitmate reasoning to this? How many at bats has Willie gotten this year? He's an everyday player. I don't think it's such a funny notion to want to give him more playing time when we are able to call him back if needed. Try being open minded Bub.

They want to give him more playing time?

So, they're sacrificing contributions to the major league team so a 26 or 27 year old can get consistent AB's?

I don't buy it. I'm callin' BS.

And,

The homerun was clutch. How do you know it didn't start a rally? As far as first base, give me break. He doesn't make the lineup. Blame Ozzie for putting him there, he's obviously not a first baseman.

You tried making an argument for Timo "winning" us two games. Well, If you want to use that nonsensical bulls***, I can just as easily make an argument for Timo losing for us several games. It goes both ways, bud...