Notes: Harris' days numbered?

greasywheels121

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
The reason they are keeping Timo over Harris is that Timo can play the OF and 1B

I know, it still does not make much sense since now Gload can man 1B back up duty and Everett is already there for OF back up duty

Harris would be better served being up here as he can back up both 2B and SS

Ozuna can back up all IF spots except 1B

I stopped reading after you said timo can play the outfield and first base. Good one.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
The reason they are keeping Timo over Harris is that Timo can play the OF and 1B

just because timo has played 1st base doesn't mean he can play 1st base.

With RISP, Perez is hitting .143, when the game is close and late, he is hitting .214.

Now, Harris is better with a .273 with RISP and worse when it is close and late at .167.

Now, lets look at the magical OBP

Harris: RISP: .385

Close and Late: .286

Perez: RISP: .200

Close and Late: .214

Guys, it was obvious this was going to happen, Ozzie likes timo because he's one of the best bunters we have and stats or not stats Timo's been a clutch hitter and yes this year too. He's been bad this year no doubt but with the few hits he has he'd had some huge ones, the homer vs minny, the bases loaded bunt and of course the hit on memorial day. Also he just had a countless number of clutch hits last year. I personally think it's the wrong move because I think willie is the better player however this move won't kill me either way.

Willie gives you a pinch runner off the base, and a back-up 2nd baseman to face tough righties or when Iguchi goes into a slump (his batting average has been consistently going down for the last few weeks). Timo adds no dimensions to this team at all.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:16 AM)
Guys, it was obvious this was going to happen, Ozzie likes timo because he's one of the best bunters we have and stats or not stats Timo's been a clutch hitter and yes this year too.  He's been bad this year no doubt but with the few hits he has he'd had some huge ones, the homer vs minny, the bases loaded bunt and of course the hit on memorial day.  Also he just had a countless number of clutch hits last year.  I personally think it's the wrong move because I think willie is the better player however this move won't kill me either way.

So who's our back-up 2nd baseman? Do you really want Ozuna facing a tough righty if Iguchi has the day off?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
So who's our back-up 2nd baseman?  Do you really want Ozuna facing a tough righty if Iguchi has the day off?

I think ozuna is perfectly capable so yes that'd be fine with me, actually.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
I think ozuna is perfectly capable so yes that'd be fine with me, actually.

The same Ozuna that can't hit the ball out of the infield? I like Ozuna's hustle and enthusiasm, but he's nowhere close to being a MLB caliber hitting. The funny thing with all of this is that by no means am I a Willie Harris fan. However, I get pissed when I see that our manager's personal feelings for a player (Timo) screws with his decision making when determining what's best for our team.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
The same Ozuna that can't hit the ball out of the infield?  I like Ozuna's hustle and enthusiasm, but he's nowhere close to being a MLB caliber hitting.  The funny thing with all of this is that by no means am I a Willie Harris fan.  However, I get pissed when I see that our manager's personal feelings for a player (Timo) screws with his decision making when determining what's best for our team.

The same Ozuna with a .349 obp and yes I know willie's is higher but Pablo is perfectly capable being the backup 2nd baseman imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:34 AM)
The same Ozuna with a .349 obp and yes I know willie's is higher but Pablo is perfectly capable being the backup 2nd baseman imo.

The same Ozuna that's averaging about 50 feet per hit this year. Hell, he'd be perfect if he was batting in a hit-and-run situation. However, if Iguchi were to suffer an injury that would keep him out for more than a day or so, I'd be much more confident with Willie at 2nd base than I would Ozuna.

Obviously some people are very upset about the idea of Harris being optioned. However, it should be noted that nothing has been publicly stated that this is indeed what will happen. Harris is just preparing himself for the possibility. Maybe Harris gets traded prior to any of this becoming necessary. Maybe Timo is the one sent down. Maybe they keep Gload down until he gets his full arm strength (although it seems that could take quite a while, and it doesn't seem to be affecting his bat.) I feel Timo has the ability to be clutch as we've seen numerous times, although I would rather keep Willie as well. We'll see what happens, but let's not jump off the bridge just yet. We're still in first.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
The same Ozuna that's averaging about 50 feet per hit this year.  Hell, he'd be perfect if he was batting in a hit-and-run situation.  However, if Iguchi were to suffer an injury that would keep him out for more than a day or so, I'd be much more confident with Willie at 2nd base than I would Ozuna.

But if Iguchi went down, they could still call Willie back up. Ozuna is fine for the spot start at second.

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:43 AM)
But if Iguchi went down, they could still call Willie back up. Ozuna is fine for the spot start at second.

That's a good point. For some reason, I just neglected the fact that Willie has an option left.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
Guys, it was obvious this was going to happen, Ozzie likes timo because he's one of the best bunters we have and stats or not stats Timo's been a clutch hitter and yes this year too.  He's been bad this year no doubt but with the few hits he has he'd had some huge ones, the homer vs minny, the bases loaded bunt and of course the hit on memorial day.  Also he just had a countless number of clutch hits last year.  I personally think it's the wrong move because I think willie is the better player however this move won't kill me either way.

Timo's primary asset is supposedly as a "clutch" left handed pinch hitter. Well, Ross Gload also fills that role quite nicely as he has proven last year.

Ozuna can play every position on the field except probably pitcher and catcher.

Willie is our best defensive 2B, can back up passably at SS and CF, and hits lefty with a good OBP.

Timo should be the odd man out, his clutch hitting notwithstanding.

But the organization always has been high on Perez's versatility and veteran presence

Haha, that quote made me laugh. Yup, OMIT is real versatile...he is an equal opportunity butcher from any position defensively.

To me, its no question who goes. If OMTI has an option left, and apparently he does...then enjoy hitting in Knights Stadium OMIT, cause we have no roster spot for you right now.

Don't make the boneheaded move KW...

If they send Willie down, you can't use your fastest runner on the bench, Ozuna, to pinch run for Frank in a critical situation because that leaves you with no backup IF's on the bench.

If you do pinch run Ozuna, you can no longer pinch hit for Crede or the other IF's later, because you have no IF left to replace them.

That's another reason why this would be such a bad move.

If they send Willie down, you can't use your fastest runner on the bench, Ozuna, to pinch run for Frank in a critical situation because that leaves you with no backup IF's on the bench.

If you do pinch run Ozuna, you can no longer pinch hit for Crede or the other IF's later, because you have no IF left to replace them.

That's another reason why this would be such a bad move.

Really good point, I'd say e-mail it to Ozzie but he won't even let Cora read past the first line.

QUOTE(doUrememberwhen @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 02:04 AM)
OZZIE IS S-T-U-P-I-D, no reason to even think about this Willie>>>>Timo, but I guess Ozzie never thinks anyways.  What a f***ing douchebag.

Again, no one is considering the X factors that may exist in this decision.