Notes: Harris' days numbered?

greasywheels121

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Notes: Harris' days numbered?

Trip to Minors likely for utility guy upon Gload's return

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Willie Harris' gregarious demeanor in the White Sox dugout during Saturday's contest against Cleveland, joking with Carl Everett on the bench in between innings, would indicate a player who seems to be especially enjoying the team's season-long perch at the top of the American League Central.

Harris also is a realist. He knows that a desired return to the starting lineup might come sooner than later, but unfortunately, it will be with the White Sox's Triple-A affiliate in Charlotte. When Ross Gload gets the call from a Minor League rehab assignment, which could come as early as the end of this weekend or as late as the end of the next road trip, it looks as if Harris is the player targeted for a demotion to the Knights.

Gload, Harris and even Timo Perez all have options remaining, meaning the White Sox can send them down without having to put them through waivers. But the organization always has been high on Perez's versatility and veteran presence, while Gload would serve as a valuable left-handed presence off the bench and reserve at first base.

The decision apparently comes down to Harris and Pablo Ozuna. But with Ozuna out of options and standing as the only true backup to Joe Crede at third, Harris would lose this particular numbers game. Harris is well aware of the possible move, but doesn't spend much time mulling it over in his mind.

"You have to keep going and get your work in and wait for whenever that day comes," Harris said. "If it's me, it's me. I'm going to go and play the game the same way I've played here and there and everywhere else I go.

"I could handle (the reassignment) because I can't change it. You might as well make the best of the situation and try to work on your game down there."

Harris, who turns 27 in two weeks, has proven in spurts that he is a second baseman of starting caliber at the Major League level. His speed and solid defense, as well as his ability to play center field, would make him a solid addition to most lineups. It just doesn't look as if he will obtain that job with the White Sox.

Picking up just 51 at-bats over 22 games and 11 starts has been a tough situation for Harris to handle at times, but it also has served as learning experience. Harris gleans baseball knowledge from players such as Frank Thomas and Everett during casual chats in his down time.

There is a strong affinity held by Harris toward the White Sox. But Harris also knows the ties that bind might have to be cut in order for his career to progress.

"Me and Ross Gload joke all the time that our team is so good that we don't even play," said Harris, who is hitting .275 with four stolen bases, with a laugh. "It's just one of those things. Some days are worse than others, but I'm dealing with the situation the best I can.

"I care a lot about this organization personally. This is where I grew up. This is where I learned the game of baseball. This is where I learned situations and matured into a baseball player, instead of just playing baseball. I wouldn't want to go anywhere else, but sometimes, things are out of my control."

Hard work: News of Livan Hernandez's 150-pitch effort Friday night against Florida made its way back to the White Sox clubhouse Saturday, where Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez marveled at the work turned in by his half-brother for Washington.

El Duque was not surprised, though, by the inordinately high pitch count.

"It's OK. He's strong. He's an animal," said Hernandez, pointing to the 1994 season in Cuba, when Livan completed 13 of 17 starts that he made.

The high-water pitch count for El Duque in Cuba was 154. But Guillen just laughed when asked if he could currently reach that mark.

"Maybe, if we had paramedics around," Guillen said.

Sliding in the rain: The modest-sized group of fans huddled under the upper deck during Saturday's 15-minute rain delay were treated to an entertaining side show from Mark Buehrle and Man Soo Lee. Both the left-handed ace and the White Sox's bullpen catcher took two running starts apiece from the outfield and slid across the rain-soaked tarp. After the second dive, Lee flopped on top of Buehrle. Lee then took a bow in front of the crowd, as Buehrle entered the dugout.

Buehrle appears to have mastered the rain-induced belly flop. He made the dives two years ago with then-closer Billy Koch.

Down on the farm: Robert Person was released earlier this week from the White Sox organization. The veteran right-hander posted a 2-3 record with a 7.00 ERA in seven starts with Charlotte. He struck out 24 and walked 25 over 36 innings.

Joe Borchard launched his seventh home run and raised his average to .214 during the Knights' 5-4 loss at Indianapolis on Friday night. Brandon McCarthy suffered the setback, allowing five hits and one home run over 6 1/3 innings. He struck out eight and didn't walk a batter.

Leo Daigle had five hits, including his 13th home run and 20th double, as Class A Winston-Salem split a doubleheader. Daigle leads the Carolina League in hits (73), RBIs (51) and extra-base hits (33). Thomas Collaro added his league-leading 14th home run, and Ehren Wasserman picked up his league-best 13th save.

Coming soon: With scattered showers forecast for Sunday and the White Sox looking to get away to Colorado, Buehrle (7-1, 3.07 ERA) appears to be the perfect man to have on the mound vs. the Tribe. His efficient style has led to six straight victories, and the left-hander has lasted at least six innings in 39 straight starts. It's the longest Major League run since Curt Schilling did the same from 2001-03.

Cleveland counters with left-hander C.C. Sabathia (4-3, 3.58).

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
This really goes to show how much stock KW puts in clubhouse chemistry.  Timo is a prankster veteran and Willie seems to be a bit bigheaded at times.  I think it's a bad move when considering talent, but for team cohesiveness Timo should stay.

Team cohesiveness at the expense of a total butcher?

Bad move thinks me.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
This really goes to show how much stock KW puts in clubhouse chemistry.  Timo is a prankster veteran and Willie seems to be a bit bigheaded at times.  I think it's a bad move when considering talent, but for team cohesiveness Timo should stay.

That's a good point and one in which many including myself probably didn't consider.

This really would make no sense. We will have a glut of outfielders with Gload back. If Willie gets send down, we will have two righty-hitting 2nd basemen (Iguchi and Ozuna). What is the point of that?

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 06:39 PM)
Timo has provided some solid clutch hitting with his time on the club. I think many of you are overreacting. Besides, with Iguchi on the team, it's still likely that Harris will get dealt at some point.

Nobody's overreacting. Timo hasn't been clutch this year and he's been hurting the team consistantly, whereas Harris has been batting well, getting walks, and providing good speed off of the bench (and he can also play the IF and OF well). Timo can't even play defense well.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Nobody's overreacting.  Timo hasn't been clutch this year and he's been hurting the team consitantly, whereas Harris has been batting well, getting well, and providing good speed off of the bench (and he can also play the IF and OF well).

He must have forgottten when Timo couldn't hit a sac fly with a man on 3rd earlier in the season. He just remembers Monday's game.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
He must have forgottten when Timo couldn't hit a sac fly with a man on 3rd earlier in the season.  He just remembers Monday's game.

Maybe you were missing last year, but Timo was on the team and he certainly provided clutch hitting.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
Nobody's overreacting.  Timo hasn't been clutch this year and he's been hurting the team consistantly, whereas Harris has been batting well, getting walks, and providing good speed off of the bench (and he can also play the IF and OF well).  Timo can't even play defense well.

Timo has been clutch, and as far as his defense is concerned, the guy can't first base. So what. That's why we need Gload.