White Sox looking to deal Thomas or Everett

DBAHO

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
Where the heck would you get that from?  The fact that Ozzie is benching a guy on pace for 100 RBIs for Frank?  Or the newspaper article with no basis in fact that siad they were trying to trade Frank?  That's just insane.

Who cares if Ozzie is benching a guy on pace for 100 RBIs....it's the same player who had been just god awful against right handed pitching for the last two months. If you can't tell that Ozzie has an agenda to keep Timo on the team when he's the obvious person that should be released....you're being a little naive (and no, I'm not talking about Ozzie and Timo's mythical affair).

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
The problem is, if we decide to keep Frank over Everett, we're going to end up seeing a lot of Timo I have a feeling.  Frank can't be counted on to remain healthy the rest of the way, and I can't see how he'd be able to play more than 4 times a week.  If we get rid of Everett, who is going to be the DH?  That's right, everyone's favorite manager fluffer....OMIT TIMO.

Gload would DH, which would be perfectly fine with me.

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
Who gives a s***, as long as he hits.  Cancerous, selfish and greedy didn't seem to be a problem in 1993 or 2000.  When the White Sox aren't winning, the Chicago media searches for scapegoats.  They usually hone in on Big Frank.

ok so not a problem in 1993 or 2000.......

but what about the six years in between?

Look I am not trying to get into a FT bashing argument here, but c'mon, it's not like those words have never been said. Carlos Lee hit and is still hitting better than anyone on this team right now, but the team is winning without him, are they not?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
Of course, but that has mostly been by the media and most of Sox fans have defended Frank.

Actually I have heard if for several years coming from players and people inside the Sox locker room. No, it is not only media driven.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)
Carl Everett was on pace for about 25 HR and 100 RBIs playing everyday.  He was doing the job, all except for OBP.

Personally, his .729 OPS heading into today doesn't do it for me, especially considering he'd be our #3 hitter (if this hypothetical trade went down).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
Who cares if Ozzie is benching a guy on pace for 100 RBIs....it's the same player who had been just god awful against right handed pitching for the last two months.  If you can't tell that Ozzie has an agenda to keep Timo on the team when he's the obvious person that should be released....you're being a little naive (and no, I'm not talking about Ozzie and Timo's mythical affair).

You would think if he was picking Timo over Frank, Timo would be in the starting line up everyday, and he wouldn't be benching Carl Everett for Frank Thomas. You might need a tinfoil hat to go with that theory.

I'm not the biggest Carl fan either, but I think the key here is that nothing is going to happen real soon.  There is no way they will trade anyone until they are assured that Frank can stay healthy and that he will hit.  Who knows if that will happen this year?

I know discussing trading Frank is pointless because the options to do so are extemely limited, but one can't make the assumption that trading Frank would make the offense worse until you see what they get in return and how it affects the team.  What if they traded Frank yet were able to get a 3B to step in and contribute (just an example)? 

My only point is hanging on to Frank as a fan and having a desire for the Sox to win this year, COULD be conflicting.  It's a moot point anyway, but it is POSSIBLE trading Frank could help the club win.

In order for Frank Thomas to have any trade value he would have to show that he can stay healthy and hit. However, if he shows that he can stay healthy and hit, he will fill one of the White Sox missing puzzle pieces (a hitter that other teams actually fear). Why should they trade him under these circumstances?

I don't think there's much point in arguing who we should or shouldn't trade with these two because we have no clue what either one of them would bring us right now. I love FT and I like Everett a lot, but I'll have no problem in trading either one of them away if it means that the team gets better. I'll miss whoever goes, but winning is much more important to me at this point.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
You would think if he was picking Timo over Frank, Timo would be in the starting line up everyday, and he wouldn't be benching Carl Everett for Frank Thomas.  You might need a tinfoil hat to go with that theory.

I never said that the agenda was to play Timo more than Frank....it's a complete different situation. There's no way someone can convince me that Timo deserves to be on the team more than Willie Harris right now. It just doesn't make sense. I would predict that every other team in the majors would send down Timo instead of Willie in a similar situation.

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
In order for Frank Thomas to have any trade value he would have to show that he can stay healthy and hit.  However, if he shows that he can stay healthy and hit, he will fill one of the White Sox missing puzzle pieces (a hitter that other teams actually fear).  Why should they trade him under these circumstances?

I'm not saying he should be traded. Never did I say that. All I am saying is that hanging onto the concept that Frank is an icon and is untouchable no matter what, could be contrary to the overall goal of winning. It is the mindset that Frank can't be traded regardless that I am attacking here. As I have already mentioned, the likelihood of it happening is remote

What I don't understand is why is this situation a surprise to KW and Ozzie? If they wanted to avoid a situation where they had a 4 million dollar bench player, they should have never traded for Everett last season with Carl have the player option for this season. I just hope Ozzie doesn't make the mistake of continuing to put Everett in the outfield. His defense will lose us as many games out there as his offense will.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
I'm not saying he should be traded.  Never did I say that.  All I am saying is that hanging onto the concept that Frank is an icon and is untouchable no matter what, could be contrary to the overall goal of winning.  It is the mindset that Frank can't be traded regardless that I am attacking here.  As I have already mentioned, the likelihood of it happening is remote

Look how good it did the Astros this year of keeping icons Bagwell and Biggio around.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
I never said that the agenda was to play Timo more than Frank....it's a complete different situation.  There's no way someone can convince me that Timo deserves to be on the team more than Willie Harris right now.  It just doesn't make sense.  I would predict that every other team in the majors would send down Timo instead of Willie in a similar situation.

It really seems like Ozzie values Timo more than he does Frank Thomas.  Things really seem to be getting crazy behind the scenes with agendas and feuds.

Then was does that mean exactly? If you value a player more than another, wouldn't you be playin them everyday? And what does Willie Harris have to do with Ozzie valuing Timo over Frank???

I'm not saying he should be traded.  Never did I say that.  All I am saying is that hanging onto the concept that Frank is an icon and is untouchable no matter what, could be contrary to the overall goal of winning.  It is the mindset that Frank can't be traded regardless that I am attacking here.  As I have already mentioned, the likelihood of it happening is remote

I think there still exists, even on my part, a longing to see Frank end his career with the White Sox. The feeling that the White Sox don't have a great, great offensive monster in the Hall of Fame to call their very own probably drives this, to some extent.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:32 PM)
Then was does that mean exactly?  If you value a player more than another, wouldn't you be playin them everyday?  And what does Willie Harris have to do with Ozzie valuing Timo over Frank???

Ozzie values Timo's role and his so-called versatility more than he does Frank's ability to be a tough out/draw walks/put people in the seats. Ozzie seems to go out of his way to get Timo into the lineup as much as possible. I don't see that mindset with other players, especially guys who are swinging the bat good like Widger. There's no rule that suggests you can't play both of your catchers during a game at the same time. If the starting catcher unfortunately gets hurt, then you just activate the DH. It's not the end of the world.

QUOTE(I-HATE-CREDE @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
Look how good it did them last year.

Yeah, when they had outstanding players around them in Beltran and Kent. However, with those players gone this year, they should have known that their team was going to be in trouble this season.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
Actually I have heard if for several years coming from players and people inside the Sox locker room.  No, it is not only media driven.

Rex, I'm not saying those things about Frank aren't true, in fact let's assume they are. My point is that IF the Sox decided to trade Frank, there would be a backlash from the fans as someone else noted in this thread. In order to calm things down, it wouldn't surprise me if the Sox (KW and Oz) suddenly opened up that bag of dirty laundry.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:42 PM)
Rex, I'm not saying those things about Frank aren't true, in fact let's assume they are.  My point is that IF the Sox decided to trade Frank, there would be a backlash from the fans as someone else noted in this thread. In order to calm things down, it wouldn't surprise me if the Sox (KW and Oz) suddenly opened up that bag of dirty laundry.

I understand what you are saying. I am just saying that if he were traded and the team was winning, then there should not be such a backlash. Do the Sox want FT to end up in a Sox uni or win the WS? I know the answer is both, but it may not be possible.

Like I have said before, this isn't going to happen anyway.........

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
I understand what you are saying.  I am just saying that if he were traded and the team was winning, then there should not be such a backlash.  Do the Sox want FT to end up in a Sox uni or win the WS?  I know the answer is both, but it may not be possible.

Like I have said before, this isn't going to happen anyway.........

I feel you on that.