Official Draft Talk Thread

farmteam

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason I have a feeling its Chris Carter. Here is info on Chris.

"Cimarron Memorial High RHP Mark Willinsky ranked alongside Rasner as Nevada’s best high school prospect at the start of the year, but the 92-93 mph fastball he had as a sophomore and junior leveled off to the high 80s. With Willinsky’s fall, 6-foot-4 OF Chris Carter (12) moved to the head of the Las Vegas high school class. He has athletic ability and raw power, but lacks baseball instincts."

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/2005..._ncarolina.html

Unreal.  guy is a college senior and they don't have a 2nd rounder this year and blow their cheese on a kid who would have been there in the 5th freakin round!

Dumbasses.

Cubs have already come to terms with Pawalek.

can you post it what it says there. I don't subscribe to Baseball America Online.

I go to vandy and go to pretty much every game, so ive seen ryan rote (5th round) pitch dozens of times. you can see the BA scouting report before but ill tell you what i think....

in one of the best pitching staffs in the nation I would say in terms of pure stuff, rote had the second best raw stuff behind sues who went a few picks earlier, but has better stuff but less pitchability than lewis and mullins who went 102 and 105. Hes tall and has a pitchers frame. He can and should get stronger but throws plenty hard already. He came to Vandy 2 years ago and instantly inherited the closers role. His best assest is certainly his fastball which my buddy who works the gun at Vandy said he has hit 99. consistently he prolly sits low to mid 90s. hes not afraid to throw inside and hits his fair share of batters. he struggles with his command and in the one game he started this year, he threw well, but had numerous past balls. he lacks a true offspeed pitch but throws a hard tight slider that mostly moves away to righties. There is no doubt that he can dominate against hitters who cant catch up to heat. when he is on, he paints the fastball and uses his slider as his out pitch and can be untouchable, as he struck the side out to close the game quite a few times. he seemed to have a tendancy to get hit by the better hitting ball clubs, and when he got rattled he would walk batters, which lead to fastballs being laid out over the plate. In terms of his makeup he is a pretty heady player, one of the smartest off the field and in the classroom for sure. He had a reputation as being one of the hardest working guys out there and rarely did anytype of partying that would put him in bad situations. id say hes a risk but has great upside, especially as a reliever. If he wants to become a starter, he needs to develop a better offspeed pitch.

in summation i would say hes a typical hard throwing righty who if he can harness his command has the ability to dominate.

on another note I know he played with Paul Moviel back when he was at his JC so hoepfully thatll help his comfort level if he starts out at GF

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
I go to vandy and go to pretty much every game, so ive seen ryan rote (5th round) pitch dozens of times. you can see the BA scouting report before but ill tell you what i think....

in one of the best pitching staffs in the nation I would say in terms of pure stuff, rote had the second best raw stuff behind sues who went a few picks earlier, but has better stuff but less pitchability than lewis and mullins who went 102 and 105. Hes tall and has a pitchers frame. He can and should get stronger but throws plenty hard already. He came to Vandy 2 years ago and instantly inherited the closers role. His best assest is certainly his fastball which my buddy who works the gun at Vandy said he has hit 99. consistently he prolly sits low to mid 90s. hes not afraid to throw inside and hits his fair share of batters. he struggles with his command and in the one game he started this year, he threw well, but had numerous past balls. he lacks a true offspeed pitch but throws a hard tight slider that mostly moves away to righties. There is no doubt that he can dominate against hitters who cant catch up to heat. when he is on, he paints the fastball and uses his slider as his out pitch and can be untouchable, as he struck the side out to close the game quite a few times. he seemed to have a tendancy to get hit by the better hitting ball clubs, and when he got rattled he would walk batters, which lead to fastballs being laid out over the plate. In terms of his makeup he is a pretty heady player, one of the smartest off the field and in the classroom for sure. He had a reputation as being one of the hardest working guys out there and rarely did anytype of partying that would put him in bad situations. id say hes a risk but has great upside, especially as a reliever. If he wants to become a starter, he needs to develop a better offspeed pitch.

in summation i would say hes a typical hard throwing righty who if he can harness his command has the ability to dominate.

on another note I know he played with Paul Moviel back when he was at his JC so hoepfully thatll help his comfort level if he starts out at GF

Awesome info.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
Do any of the BA people work for a major league organization? Didn't think so. The Sox know what they're doing.

We will see but there was better value than Brooks.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
We will see but there was better value than Brooks.

Maybe the Sox were worried another team was going to grab him before their 4th round pick?

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
Question for the FS/Draft experts...

Do you guys/gals expect any signing difficulties, especially with the Sox re-drafting Brooks and Getz?

Thanks.

I think both will be easy signs. In fact, my inclination would be that Brooks worked out a pre-draft deal. I'm working on getting some info on Brooks straight from the source, but I'm sure he's pretty busy. Getz is gonna sign and quick. In fact I'd bet the Sox have most of there guys signed really fast.

Cunnigham could be a tough sign, cause he's only got room to grow, imo and may take a little more money, but at the same time the Sox drafted some guys that should be easy signs to cancel it out and than the kid Cortez (SP?) that is committed to SDSU could be a tougher sign, but I think they'll get it done.

Sox are one of, if not the very best team, when it comes to knowing whether a guy wants to play pro's. They almost always sign their top 20 picks or so it seems. Every once in a while they'll take a flyer on a guy (Tony Richie, Donald Veal, Moviel, and Wes Hodges for example) but usually they are really good.

Any sleepers/favorite picks yet? Obviously, we don't know how these kids will do once they hit the minor leagues, but I really like the pick of Getz. Seems like he can handle the bat well at the plate, walk a bunch, and play good defense.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
Any sleepers/favorite picks yet?  Obviously, we don't know how these kids will do once they hit the minor leagues, but I really like the pick of Getz.  Seems like he can handle the bat well at the plate, walk a bunch, and play good defense.

Getz is one of my fav's, but I'm really warming up to the closer from Vandy. I love power arms in bullpen spots. I could care less when it comes to starters, but for whatever reason I always like a reliever that can come in and throw gas.

Cunnigham is another guy I flat love and the kid committed to SDSU sounds pretty nice too. I also noticed the Sox drafted a few guys with sinking action, a big plus in my book.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 01:29 AM)
Guys, I just wanted to say good luck finding some of these guys. I've never seen a draft that has this many guys that I can't find squat on. Its amazing.

Yeah, I've been spending a little while trying to do research, but it's tough. With so many JC/CC, HS, and small college players, it's hard to find their stats and stuff on them. It's fairly easy with the major college guys, at least.