Sox @ Rockies 6/8/05 Game Thread

sox-r-us

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:09 AM)
Any problems with how Ozzie handled the bullpen today?

The bullpen was handled properly. If Cotts has control, he's probably more effective than any of our other relievers. I am getting sick of our awful base running/bunting. When's Ozzie going to learn that Crede can't bunt, and Uribe can't run the bases?

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
With Gload getting  hurt again is their anyone out there that KW can get to backup Konerko that is our huge weakness...

right now would have to look at the teams way out of the race. First two that would come to mind is Houston and the Reds...

I don't mean trade for Casey or Bagwell, but look to see who they have on their bench who could fill the role (yes, I know Bagwell is hurt anyway).

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:10 AM)
With Gload getting  hurt again is their anyone out there that KW can get to backup Konerko that is our huge weakness...

I'm 100 pct serious, as sad as it is, that Ozzie probably views Timo as a possible replacement at 1b.

Cubs-Suck23

Lighten up dude. Most of us here love Ozzie. And our statements are not based off one-off events. Do you realize how many game 3's of a series we have lost after winning the first 2?

I guarantee you that Ozzie taking it easy in game 3 spreads to the players to a point where they do not care much either since the series is won. That is good and all, but in case you have not noticed, we are not 10 games ahead in the division and a lock to make the playoffs yet. There is a lot of baseball left, and a lot of games against those Twins. These game 3 losses can come back to bite us pretty quickly if we start taking days off.

One more thing, you said somewhere that Paulie needs a day off once a week...WHAT????????? Are you kidding me? He does not need a day off every week. A catcher may, but a 1B certainly does not. Also, with off days, he does get many days off too.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
Any problems with how Ozzie handled the bullpen today?

Hell no. Cotts was pitching awesome after that 7th and he stuck with the hot arm. I'm sure if Cotts blew it we'd of heard something, but Cotts was fantastic and it was the right call sticking with him.

I thought Ozzie did a good job today. Ozzie usually does a solid job, its just when he's off, he's way way off in my mind and it tends to come in streaks. The big flaw is I don't see the logic behind it. Its not like a move where I go I don't agree with it, but I can see why he's opted this way. Its just me sitting there going, what the f***, this makes absolutely no sense. Usually it involves Timo or Luis Vizcaino, but there are other instances like pinch hitting for a hot Guchi with a slumping Everett.

There's nothing wrong with criticizing the manager, but the thread title is uncalled for. Yes, the Sox seem to take only the first two of three, but unless you're suggesting a curse, there's plenty of blame to go around - especially the players themselves. (Hermanson's throwing error comes to mind right away.)

I have absolutely no love for Timo Perez, but if the Sox are losing games based only on his presence, then they have much bigger problems than we realize. In other words, blaming Timo or even Ozzie for all the team's third game losses is ridiculous. It seems some here expect the Sox to be not 39-19, but 50-8.

I agree about the poor baserunning, but it was Dye stealing second that enabled him to score on AJ's single. Imagine that. Jermaine Dye stealing bases while Uribe and Rowand get caught.

Edited by nvxplorer

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
There's nothing wrong with criticizing the manager, but the thread title is uncalled for. Yes, the Sox seem to take only the first two of three, but unless you're suggesting a curse, there's plenty of blame to go around - especially the players themselves. (Hermanson's throwing error comes to mind right away.)

I agree about the poor baserunning, but it was Dye stealing second that enabled him to score on AJ's single. Imagine that. Jermaine Dye stealing bases while Uribe and Rowand get caught.

Bingo! I believe the thread title is what set a few people off. It is certainly uncalled for, but then, I considered the source.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
The bullpen was handled properly.  If Cotts has control, he's probably more effective than any of our other relievers.  I am getting sick of our awful base running/bunting.  When's Ozzie going to learn that Crede can't bunt, and Uribe can't run the bases?

Randa can bunt.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:23 AM)

I have absolutely no love for Timo Perez, but if the Sox are losing games based only on his presence, then they have much bigger problems than we realize. In other words, blaming Timo or even Ozzie for all the team's third game losses is ridiculous. It seems some here expect the Sox to be not 39-19, but 50-8.

nv

Once the manager starts taking the 3rd game as a day off, it creeps to the players. Although the players may not intentionally relax during game 3's, I bet they unconsciously do not give 100% and make mental errors.

And players are smart. They can see how Ozzie treats the 3rd game of a series.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)
nv

Once the manager starts taking the 3rd game as a day off, it creeps to the players. Although the players may not intentionally relax during game 3's, I bet they unconsciously do not give 100% and make mental errors.

And players are smart. They can see how Ozzie treats the 3rd game of a series.

I disagree.

I don't consider giving the bench some playing time as taking a day off. Outside of Perez, the bench has performed quite well anyway, so I fail to see your point. Harris started tonight, and the Sox won the game, so Ozzie doesn't sub exclusively in the third game of a series.

It sounds like you're claiming Ozzie is conceding the last game of each series, and I'm not buying that, though you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I also seriously doubt the regular starters give anything but 100% in each game. Why they would relax just because Ozuna, Perez, Widger or Harris are in the lineup is beyond me.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
Ok enough of Ozzie....back to the game thread.

ANyone know much about this Francis guy????

Can we hit him? How about match ups between our hitters vs Francis?

He's awesome in MVP baseball.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
Ok enough of Ozzie....back to the game thread.

ANyone know much about this Francis guy????

Can we hit him? How about match ups between our hitters vs Francis?

Lets add up the particulars before we jump to conclusions that we will have problems hitting him.

We have never seen him, check.

He has a plus 5 ERA, check.

He is a lefty, check.

Its coors field and our guys are trying to conduct physics experiments with how far the magic white baseball will travel in the thin air.

Last years Baseball Americas minor league pitcher of the year 2004, check.

At coors field he pitches better. at Coors Field 30.2 innings pitched he is 4-0 with a 2.93 ERA

The tall lefty has an 88-92 MPH fastball that is rated as being an adequate pitch. He also throws a good curveball with slight slurve (curveball plus slider) movement. In the past year and a half, the Rockie prodigy has refined his changeup to the point where it is useable at the Major League level. He has sharp control and will throw strikes and change speeds.

This of course is after Byung Yung-Kim three hitted us over 6+ in Coors.

After taking all of the facts into consideration there are two distinct possibilities. We will either rock this guy out of Coors by hitting long pull home runs. Or we will show the rox how nice the pop ups fly in the thin denver air. If he spots the fastball on the outside corner we will get 4 hits max on this guy.

Here's the line on Francis:

Making his 19th major league appearance, all starts (7 starts last year).

Went 7.2 on April 19th, his longest outing. Failed to go 5 only once.

Outings have been erratic, giving up 1 run three times, 6 twice and 5 twice, with 2s and 3s inbetween. Walks a batter every two innings.

Last outing, June 3rd vs. Cin: 6.0 IP, W, 4 hits (2 HR), 2ER, 3BB, 6SO, 107 pitches

Spodesdnik should play today. Ozuna will be factored in today but it could be either at ss or 2b. With iguchi being hurt I dont expect him play till friday. I think Everett will play today which means our hottest hitter Jermaine Dye will not play.

Can someone please post our record in the final games of series we've played in so far this year, to put a little more "stock" in this Ozzie in the 3rd game thing.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
So? Does that mean that we can't question a move that we think is questionable? In the words of Herm Edwards "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME! HELLO?!" Sometimes it seems that Ozzie hands the third game of a series to the other team by playing players in situations where they should not be playing seemingly because we already have the series. There are so many times that has happened this season that some of us have come to expect it. That's called observation, not criticism.

You don't play to win the game. You play to win the World Series.