Paul Konerko Will Sign With The Sox???

Southside hitmen

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
The White Sox cut ties with Lee and Magglio Ordonez over the winter, and Konerko is eligible for free agency at the end of the season. There has been some talk that Konerko is also heading for a new home, but look for the Sox to lock up the 29-year-old first baseman.

I hope not. He's going to get far to much money and he just isn't worth it. I'd rather give Ross or Rogo a shot and use the money elsewhere but that's jmo. Meanwhile the sox got the best record in baseball and who cares about the offseason :P

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
Does this mean they are talking about a deal, or is it just speculation?

Pure conjecture...much like the rest of the "suppos'ed" stories we manage to unearth.

Regardless, I'm hoping this is not the case.

My guess right now is that the sox are 60%-40% leaning towards re-signing him. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing him go if we can replace him with a lefty who can spray the ball to all fields and hit for a high average and at least be konerko's equal defensively.

the question is, whom would you rather have?

Pauly or Lyle Overbay? Overbay will be available because Prince Fielder is coming up through the Brewers system. I think Overbay would be a better fit on this team, especially considering Konerko's inability to hit in the clutch and what I am sure are going to be ridiculous salary demands. He will ask for Sexson money; maybe more.

I hate to bid adieu to Pauly, but we can't afford to have him here. We are good right now because we aren't paying any single player a ludicrous amount of cashola.

PS look for Konerko to be in a Yankees uniform next year. Giambi/Martinez are not going to be the everday boys...

Edited by Steve9347

Pauly or Lyle Overbay?  Overbay will be available because Prince Fielder is coming up through the Brewers system.  I think Overbay would be a better fit on this team, especially considering Konerko's inability to hit in the clutch and what I am sure are going to be ridiculous salary demands.  He will ask for Sexson money; maybe more.

I hate to bid adieu to Pauly, but we can't afford to have him here.  We are good right now because we aren't paying any single player a ludicrous amount of cashola.

PS  look for Konerko to be in a Yankees uniform next year.  Giambi/Martinez are not going to be the everday boys...

Giambi will be. He has $80 million dollars left on his contract and the Yankees won't be able to dump it.

I don't mind re-signing Paulie at the right price. But that price is not Richie Sexson's price or Carlos Delgado's price. The right price is about what Paulie makes now - $8 million.

The right term is about 3 years. Paulie should have about that left in the tank before he degrades. It's likely that Paulie will degrade really, really fast, too.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 08:38 AM)
They aren't going to pay him $80 million and not start him.  He will be playing 1st base or be their DH, just like this season.

I still think they're going to try to find some way to buy his contract out. He's costing them a lot in both playing time and in just filling in a roster spot that they could fill with another FA.

I bet he gets darn near Richie Sexson money, not quite though. We better not be paying him 14 million a year when he is 34. He is not a very good athlete so its not hard to imagine a big decline at 31-32. Overbay will be a tough get though. THe BRewers won't take prospects for him, just big league talent.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 30, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)

Pauly or Lyle Overbay?  Overbay will be available because Prince Fielder is coming up through the Brewers system.  I think Overbay would be a better fit on this team, especially considering Konerko's inability to hit in the clutch and what I am sure are going to be ridiculous salary demands.  He will ask for Sexson money; maybe more.

I hate to bid adieu to Pauly, but we can't afford to have him here.  We are good right now because we aren't paying any single player a ludicrous amount of cashola.

PS  look for Konerko to be in a Yankees uniform next year.  Giambi/Martinez are not going to be the everday boys...

The Brewers are just going to give us Overbay? Awesome!

If I was confident Gload would stay healthy, and PK left, I would be quite happy with him there given the numbers he put up in 2004.

.321 average, 7 home runs in 234 at bats...He keeps that up the whole year and we've got a guy who hits 15-20 long balls, hits .320, takes 50 or so walks, and plays near gold-glove caliber defense. All for a very small price.

He'd probably generate just about as many runs hitting .320 with 20 home runs as Konerko does hitting .250 with 40 home runs.