How I learned to keep worrying

Milkman delivers

Guest JimH
I understand that stats are not the end all be all of baseball but are they not an indicator of what is going on?  To supposedly have a lot of speed in your lineup with Podsednik, Iguchi, Rowand, and Uribe, and still being ranked last in doubles and triples in the MLB shows something is going on.  Doesn't it?  I'm not saying that all of those guys are swinging for the fences but I do think that the rest of the lineup is.  Also, demeaning someone about their baseball knowledge when you are having a simple discussion doesn't strengthen your argument.

I'm not demeaning you. I'm simply stating what lots of people on this board have expressed to you, especially those who have studied the game for longer than you've been alive. I do recall I said at least twice it's nothing personal.

If you think AJ Pierzynski, Joe Crede, Konerko, Dye, and Thomas are swinging for the fences (that is by your definition "the rest of the lineup") ... again, you need to look deeper. Look at how many walks Konerko has (a lot). Look at how seldom Pierzynski strikes out historically. Look at Pierzynski frequently hitting to LF (too much in my opinion, he should turn on pitches more). Crede is almost always in protect mode because he's not a great hitter. Throw Thomas' stats out the window for the next month for obvious reasons.

As for last in triples, that is a who cares stat if I've ever seen one.

I don't object to a lot of what you say and I think you know that. I'm not on your ass in the game threads all the time like others are. What I do object to are some of your blanket statements where you state or imply an "everybody" or "all" mindset vs. looking at individual players and situations ... as by your last post you are now starting to do, it appears. Maybe it is the impetuousness of your age bracket, I don't know, but some of you guys are real quick to spout off on "this guy sucks" or "what the f*** is Ozzie doing" when you don't know the whole story. Then, the next day, it's "oh". When I say watch the game and learn, that is much of what I mean. You will learn not to make blanket statements as much when you learn to appreciate knowing the whole story vs. knee jerk reacting on just part of it.

Also, it is a huge long leap from being last in doubles to "they are all swinging for the fences" (my quotes not yours, to avoid confusion). There is much more to it than a simple cause-and-effect relationship. I know you think Harrelson is senile but he makes a good point when he (very frequently) says he is still learning things about the game. Take that to heart.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JimH
I always watch the games on tv, but I had to listen once this year on the radio because of a blackout.  From that one game, Farmer and Rooney really did talk like that.  Now that's just one game, but they did sound like that then.

Ok, so we are talking about one game vs. "all they say on strikeouts". Sorry, I did not understand the context in which you spoke.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
It wasn't anything personal, it just seemed to be a good spot to start cutting.  It could have been any number of people, that just happened to be where I decided.

I understand. I just wanted to clarify that I had no part in this to anyone that stumbles upon this thread.

EDIT: And nice job with the title. :lolhitting

Ok, so we are talking about one game vs. "all they say on strikeouts". Sorry, I did not understand the context in which you spoke.

Like I said, I'm not saying they do it all the time, but they did do it in the one game I listened to them.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
And they didn't score a run for 9 straight innings in Wednesday's game and they got no hit through 4 innings in yesterday's game.  I guess I would like to see them manufacture some more runs rather than just relying on the longball.

It's a game of adjustments. The Sox made them and won.

Guest JimH

Mike, post #27 (mine) from the game thread belongs here, I spent some time on that one, can you move it here ... much appreciated.

Most of these arguments in the game threads stem from blanket all encompassing statements that tend to be made by a handful of posters ... I try to ignore them when the game starts but this is a good time to discuss them and I appreciate them being moved from the game thread, they don't belong in there.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
Mike, post #27 (mine) from the game thread belongs here, I spent some time on that one, can you move it here ... much appreciated.

Most of these arguments in the game threads stem from blanket all encompassing statements that tend to be made by a handful of posters ... I try to ignore them when the game starts but this is a good time to discuss them and I appreciate them being moved from the game thread, they don't belong in there.

Not a problem Jim...

Another point about this "doubles" issue...it also likely reflects the park that we're playing in.

We've spent a couple days in Detroit...how many balls were hit in Detroit that went for outs, doubles, or triples, that would have been home runs at the Cell?

Another point about this "doubles" issue...it also likely reflects the park that we're playing in.

We've spent a couple days in Detroit...how many balls were hit in Detroit that went for outs, doubles, or triples, that would have been home runs at the Cell?

Good point. I'm sure McCarthy would know the answer. ;)

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
No one is whining.  I think some people just recognize that our offense isn't hitting as well as they should be and think it is a valid concern...

Sortable Team Stats:

.260 team AVG (ranked 24th in MLB)

.323 team OBP (ranked 26th in MLB)

*waits for the obligatory, "look at our record!" response* ;)

I guess we could be like the Marlins who are 5th in BA and 5th in OBP yet 12th in runs and in 4th place.

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
I agree with everything else you said, but this is the most important part I think.  When Jason created this board he wasn't thinking, gee I'd like to make a place where people could just bash everything the Sox do or don't do everyday while other people actually try and have meaningful discussions.

I only read a few posts in the game thread (which is more than I've probably read in a few weeks combined) and they were ridiculous.  People b****ing about how this team sucks and the best record is a fluke and we can't hit s***ty pitching etc.  ENOUGH.  The constant negativity of a few people on this board has ruined the game threads to the point where I don't even like to read them anymore.  Instead of interesting discussion on the best team in baseball we get "They suck, all they do is swing for the fences"  "Here comes Shingo to f*** it up"  "Ozzie is an idiot for not putting in (player x)".

I'm f***ing tired of it.  You kiddies want to b**** about everything on the internet, go make a livejournal.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

My sentiments exactly. Yesterday's thread was a joke and the sox won.

We need a seperate game thread for b****ing. Then the people b****ing can b**** that the b**** thread is too big from everyone b****ing.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
No one is whining.  I think some people just recognize that our offense isn't hitting as well as they should be and think it is a valid concern...

Sortable Team Stats:

.260 team AVG (ranked 24th in MLB)

.323 team OBP (ranked 26th in MLB)

*waits for the obligatory, "look at our record!" response* ;)

Other people will complain about the fact that you left out runs...I'll complain that you left out slugging. The Sox have turned their hits into more bases by hitting a lot of home runs - more so than similarly averaged teams. It's not particularly clutch, because we are outscoring teams by about a run per game - which is perfectly consistent with a very good team.

If the Sox had a team average of .270 with a .333 OBP and .430 SLG (10 points better in all the rate categories), they would be in the top third of the league in all three categories, I believe. That's one more hit per 4 games. But their record wouldn't be much better (if at all) than 53-24. At some point, the extra runs and hits have diminishing returns. The Sox this year have been remarkably consistent in putting up runs - they are not boom and bust like last year - and that has been of tremendous value. Not all runs are created equal.

The key to the Sox's success has been pitching. No two ways about it. They will rise and fall on the performance of the pitching staff in the rest of the regular season and the playoffs.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
:notworthy  :notworthy  :notworthy

My sentiments exactly.  Yesterday's thread was a joke and the sox won.

We need a seperate game thread for b****ing.  Then the people b****ing can b**** that the b**** thread is too big from everyone b****ing. 

we need a seperate forum for jabroni/milkman/fathom.

there are others, but those are the big 3 that have completely ruined the gamethread.

I also still say that a large portion of our low team BA is due to the month of May, where Konerko, Dye, Crede, Uribe, and Everett were all basically in the toilet.

In June, with a couple other guys not producing much in the way of hits (Uribe still, Thomas, Pierzynski, even Rowand somewhat), we're 16th in batting average in all of baseball. In April, we were 17th.

In May we were 24th.

May is the month that is dragging this team's offensive numbers down. There's no reason to assume right now that May was anything but an abberation, especially given how many people were hitting extremely far below their career averages coming out of that month.

In almost every offensive Category, in April and June both, we were in the middle of the pack, somewhere between 10th and 20th (except for runs scored of course, where in June we were #7). In May we fell into the low 20's in categories like hits, OPS, etc. We've gradually been moving back up each and every one of those rankings since May ended.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
we need a seperate forum for jabroni/milkman/fathom.

there are others, but those are the big 3 that have completely ruined the gamethread.

Don't forget SSI71, him and Jabroni belong together.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
It's pretty f***ing sad when I feel like I'm in the minority for ENJOYING a 53-24 team.

b....b....bb....ut, THEY'RE REALLY BAD IN GETTING DOUBLES.

c'mon people, get a f***ing grip.