Keith Foulke

aboz56

How ya like him now Boston?

The king of blown saves is striking with regularity this season.

6.23 era with 4 blown saves and 5 losses.

Let me be the first to say, thank you Oakland for Neal Cotts.

:headbang :headbang :headbang

Since this is happening to the Red Sawx, it just makes it even sweeter.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
Schilling to the bullpen.  The new BoSox closer?

What are you talking about? Kurt Schillling is like the best starter in base ball hands down. He won thtem the world series when he couldnt even walk right. They won't disrespect him by sending him to the bullpen right after all he did for them.

/ignorant poster that can't sense sarcasm

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
What are you talking about?  Kurt Schillling is like the best starter in base ball hands down.  He won thtem the world series when he couldnt even walk right.  They won't disrespect him by sending him to the bullpen right after all he did for them.

/ignorant poster that can't sense sarcasm

Because that's what's being discussed......

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2101669

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)
Schilling to the bullpen.  The new BoSox closer?

That would be pretty scary. You're team is down by 1, batting in the 9th inning, and here comes Schilling. Pretty much GAME OVER. Unless he struggles in the bullpen than it's a different story.

I wanted to start a Schilling to the bullpen thread, but see that it's being discussed here.

I wouldn't put it past Schilling to be doing this to make a push for the Hall of Fame (ala Eck). He has about 185 wins, and at 37 it's unlikely that he'll win enough to make the Hall. But I'm sure he thinks that those wins plus a few seasons as a dominant closer would make him Hall worthy. Especially when you consider his post-season stats.

Damn, I hate Schilling.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 6, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
I think he's hurt.  Knee injury or something.  BoSox management wanted him to get surgery in the offseason, and he didn't.  He's lost 2-3 MPH off of his fastball and his mechanics are way off from year's past.

2-3 MPH off of Foulkes fastball means he is throwing some serious BP. I don't want to see Foulke fail. I met him quite a few times, and can honestly say he was a class act. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean anything in the Boston market. Results are what matters, and he isn't getting it done right now.

Keith Foulke had surgery on one of his knees today.

Struggling Red Sox closer Keith Foulke had arthroscopic surgery to repair damaged cartilage on his left knee Thursday, the latest development impacting Boston's ineffective bullpen.

The Red Sox designated outfielder Jay Payton for assignment, activated outfielder Adam Stern from the 60-day disabled list, sent left-hander Lenny DiNardo to Triple-A Pawtucket and traded Ramon Vazquez to Cleveland for Alex Cora in a deal involving utility infielders.

Foulke will begin rehabilitation immediately, and team doctor Thomas Gill said recovery from this type of surgery typically takes about six weeks.

"Everything went well. We need to let him get ready," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said. "We don't want him to come back too early, so he can come back and pitch when he's supposed to."

The moves took place just hours before staff ace Curt Schilling was to pitch in relief for Triple-A Pawtucket with an eye toward joining Boston's bullpen. Schilling, on the disabled list since April 29 with an ankle injury, struggled as a starter in his last rehab outing for Pawtucket.

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has called Schilling's move to the bullpen "short term."

Foulke went on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday. In his absence, the Red Sox could use Schilling, Mike Timlin and Alan Embree as closers. Timlin got the save Tuesday in Texas, and Embree earned one Wednesday against the Rangers.

In the past week, the Red Sox recalled Abe Alvarez from Pawtucket but then sent him back when they called up Jeremi Gonzalez and Lenny DiNardo. On Wednesday, Scott Cassidy was promoted from Pawtucket.

Foulke, outstanding in last year's AL Championship Series and World Series, has struggled all season. He is 5-5 with a 6.23 ERA and 15 saves in 19 opportunities. In his last outing, Texas scored twice in the ninth inning for a 6-5 victory Monday, giving Foulke his second blown save in a week.

Last year, he was 5-3 with a 2.17 ERA and 32 saves in 39 chances. In the World Series sweep of St. Louis for Boston's first championship in 86 years, Foulke pitched in all four games -- earning a win and a save while allowing one run and four hits in five innings.

Payton and Vazquez were acquired last Dec. 20 from San Diego and neither was happy with his playing time. Payton, who started the past two seasons, batted .263 with five homers and 21 RBI in 133 at-bats over 55 games. He also has played for the New York Mets and Colorado Rockies.

"Jay was a valuable part of our club, but he just couldn't handle his role here," Francona said. "Last night he said, 'I tried, I couldn't do it.' It was time for him to move on."

Vazquez had just 61 at-bats in 27 games, batting .197, before being sent to Pawtucket on Sunday.

Cora, who plays second base and shortstop, is batting .205 in 146 at bats with Cleveland. In each of the last five seasons, Cora played at least 100 games with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Stern, 25, has great speed and is a strong defensive player but he fractured his right thumb while sliding into second base on March 5 during a spring training game. In 18 games with Pawtucket, he hit .303 with two homers and 14 RBI.

Under the Rule 5 draft in which the Red Sox selected Stern from Atlanta, Boston had to return him to the Braves if he wasn't promoted to the major leagues by next Tuesday.

"He has a strong arm, he knows how to throw," Francona said. "He moves good in the outfield, plays all three positions and can do really good defensively. He's a very good baserunner with good speed. Offensively, he's been a good minor league hitter."

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 03:36 AM)
For those who are interesting...Schilling made his first bullpen appearance tonight at AAA...gave up a pair of runs in 1 inning.

I hope he sucks and never makes it back fully, I think as a person he is a complete ass clown. Here's hoping he doesnt touch Coopers town.