TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

The Florida Marlins have talked to at least six teams, including the Orioles, in the past few days about trading starting pitcher A.J. Burnett, baseball sources confirmed yesterday. The Orioles are apparently in the Burnett sweepstakes, which may be headed by the aggressive Chicago White Sox. Also showing interest are Toronto, San Diego and both Los Angeles teams.

The Blue Jays might be the most intriguing option because A.J. Burnett (5-5, 3.33) has made no secret of his desire to be reunited with former Marlins pitching coach Brad Arnsberg, now with Toronto. The Blue Jays are willing to deal closer Miguel Batista, a former Marlin, but he's owed more than $6 million on a contract that runs through 2006. Burnett will make about $1.8 million the rest of this season.

Every time I read something about Burnett, he wants to be somewhere for some reason. He wants to be a Yankee so he can be with his buddy Pavano, he wants to be in Toronto because of their pitching coach. Is this guy a prima donna in the making?

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
jimbo this happen in my back yard earlier this year but it was a rabbit. Hawk swooped down in front of our eyes and snatched the rabbitt. It was tremendous. Fantastic actaully. I hate rabbitts, going to buy a pellet gun they eat my whole yard.

quick and jimbo with some more pillow talk.....awwww

Effective and inexpensive, Brian Fuentes has the two most sought-after qualities in a relief pitcher. And, as you may recall, he has a third attribute of note: He is a former Mariner, like fellow All-Stars Alex Rodriguez, Jason Varitek, David Ortiz and Scott Podsednik. The 29-year-old left-hander is a bargain for the Colorado Rockies at $328,000, given his All-Star performance this season (1-3, 2.41 ERA, 12 saves). Young and cheap, he will be attractive to contending clubs as the trade deadline nears. "I've heard some rumors," he admitted.

Hopefully the Sox are putting out some feelers on Fuentes. I was really impressed with him when the Sox were in Colorado.

On a side note, I had no idea that Ortiz and Podsednik were former mariners.

I hate this friggin thread, but thought this was rather interesting.

Per Rotoworld:

A.J. Burnett - S - FLA

With The Blue Jays reeling from Roy Halladay's injury, they could be the favorites to land AJ Burnett. The key would be Burnett agreeing to a contract extension with the Blue Jays.

Apparently the Marlins covet Toronto's rookie left-hander Gustavo Chacin and Toronto will part with him if it lands them Burnett. ''If [Toronto] could sign Burnett, the deal would get done now,'' the source said. Stay tuned. Jul. 13 - 11:38 am et

Couple of interesting things:

-Marlins are serious about dealing him

-Burnett would consider signing contract extensions

-It appears a young arm, the likes of Chacin, could get it done

...all things the White Sox should be paying very close attention to.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
Every time I read something about Burnett, he wants to be somewhere for some reason. He wants to be a Yankee so he can be with his buddy Pavano, he wants to be in Toronto because of their pitching coach.  Is this guy a prima donna in the making?

You mean like Freddy Garcia wanted to be with his buddy and White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen? Just because you want to go somewhere where you already know someone that you feel would make you more comfortable has nothing to do with being a prima dona. He is not demanding a trade to one of these teams.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
Hopefully the Sox are putting out some feelers on Fuentes.  I was really impressed with him when the Sox were in Colorado.

Colorado stated that they will not trade him and both the Red Sox and Marlins were after him. Why would they feel the need to trade him? He is pretty damn good and costs nothing. I wouldn't mind having Jay Witasick though.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
I hate this friggin thread, but thought this was rather interesting.

Per Rotoworld:

A.J. Burnett - S - FLA

With The Blue Jays reeling from Roy Halladay's injury, they could be the favorites to land AJ Burnett. The key would be Burnett agreeing to a contract extension with the Blue Jays.

Apparently the Marlins covet Toronto's rookie left-hander Gustavo Chacin and Toronto will part with him if it lands them Burnett. ''If [Toronto] could sign Burnett, the deal would get done now,'' the source said. Stay tuned. Jul. 13 - 11:38 am et

Couple of interesting things:

-Marlins are serious about dealing him

-Burnett would consider signing contract extensions

-It appears a young arm, the likes of Chacin, could get it done

...all things the White Sox should be paying very close attention to.

Per RotoWorld, this is from eariler in the day today

A.J. Burnett - S - Marlins

The Marlins have reportedly talked to at least six teams about A.J. Burnett.

The White Sox are rumored to be the most aggressive pursuers of Burnett, and you can expect him to go somewhere before the deadline. Other teams in the sweepstakes include Baltimore, Toronto, San Diego, the Dodgers and the Angels. It sounds like the Marlins are willing to part with former closer Jorge Julio, whom the Marlins reportedly want, as well as Larry Bigbie. If you're in an NL only league, you should probably try to move him. Jul. 13 - 8:26 am et

Source: Miami Herald

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
Hopefully the Sox are putting out some feelers on Fuentes.  I was really impressed with him when the Sox were in Colorado.

if the mariners keep there teams together they would be killer.

NY POST Article about AJ Burnett

The Yankees had scouts at Burnett's last performance before the break, but it appears they are not one of the teams the Marlins can find a match with if they decide to deal the right-hander, who is a free agent after the season.

If the Yankees lose Burnett to the Orioles, White Sox or Blue Jays, it would be a double blow.

Marlins catcher Paul Lo Duca has been a big reason for Burnett's recent improvement, finally convincing the 28-year-old to throw his changeup more.

How good is Burnett, in Lo Duca's expert opinion?

This good: "He really has the ability to throw a no-hitter any time he starts," Lo Duca said

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
NY POST Article about AJ Burnett

The Yankees had scouts at Burnett's last performance before the break, but it appears they are not one of the teams the Marlins can find a match with if they decide to deal the right-hander, who is a free agent after the season.

If the Yankees lose Burnett to the Orioles, White Sox or Blue Jays, it would be a double blow.

Marlins catcher Paul Lo Duca has been a big reason for Burnett's recent improvement, finally convincing the 28-year-old to throw his changeup more.

How good is Burnett, in Lo Duca's expert opinion?

This good: "He really has the ability to throw a no-hitter any time he starts," Lo Duca said

AJ> LoDuca, therefore, Burnett would improve hear on the South Side....which is scary. Also, reading about how it would be a blow to the Yankees if we got Burnett...how did they react when the were so "close" to acquiring Freddy last year???

Stick a fork in Schmidt talks???

Giants | Team Looking to Acquire Starting Pitching

Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:38:16 -0700

Laurence Miedema, of Contra Costa Times (Knight Ridder), reports the San Francisco Giants are looking to acquire starting pitching via a trade, according to Giants general manager Brian Sabean.

Nats/Rox close on deal???

Nationals | Deal for Wilson Near Completion

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:24:46 -0700

The Washington Post's Barry Svrluga reports the Washington Nationals are near completing a trade to acquire Colorado Rockies OF Preston Wilson for SP Zach Day and OF J.J. Davis. The only thing holding up the trade is the amount of money the Rockies would like the Nationals to pay on Wilson's contract. The amount is likely to be between $2 million to $2.5 million, but the clubs were discussing how best to structure the financial part of the deal.

Orioles front-runner for Burnett???

Orioles | Several Players May Be Part of Deal for Burnett

Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:27:51 -0700

Dan Connolly, of the Baltimore Sun, reports several Baltimore Orioles, including RP Jorge Julio, SP Daniel Cabrera and SP Hayden Penn, have been discussed as being possibly included in a deal that would bring Florida Marlins SP A.J. Burnett to the team.

All per kffl.com

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
If the Marlins were in town looking at sox guys, bullpen is where they need the most help. Guys I could see them interested in would be Cotts, Vizcaino and Jenks.

Seeing how they only have one LHP in the pen, cotts would have to look very appealing to them [young, cheap and good].

O NOES!!! NOTT HOTT COTTS!!!111!!11!11!!1!1111

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
AJ> LoDuca, therefore, Burnett would improve hear on the South Side....which is scary. Also, reading about how it would be a blow to the Yankees if we got Burnett...how did they react when the were so "close" to acquiring Freddy last year???

Seriously, what do the Yankees have to offer? Their minors are bare, and they are trying to add pitchers, not subtract them. The Yankees really dont make much sense, but if Georgy Porgy starts throwing around money who knows.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
WE would have the MLB record for most AJs on one team!!

That's precisely why we can't get Burnett. It's a physical impossibility to have to AJs on one team. How many AJs are there on Earth? Like 12, and they can never be in the same room at the same time or else their heads will explode. Then what do we have? Two headless players, and that's just useless and a waste of money and prospects.

I don't make the rules of physics, people. I just follow them.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
Seriously, what do the Yankees have to offer?  Their minors are bare, and they are trying to add pitchers, not subtract them.  The Yankees really dont make much sense, but if Georgy Porgy starts throwing around money who knows.

The Yankees have a few worthy trade pieces...Cano, Wang, and maybe 1 or 2 other elements sitting around. They're still somewhat bare, but they have things to dump.

I can't disagree more strongly with those of you dissing El Duque. Few pitchers in this league feature a 5 pitch arsenal & that is what makes El Duque so lethal in the post season. He is not a power pitcher. He is an off-speed master.

His pitches can dip from mid 50's to low 90's featuring:

2 seam fastball, 4 seam fastball, changeup, curveball, & slider.

If that were not enough OH is a freak of nature. He can & often does vary his release point on any of the 5 pitches. Which makes him one of the toughest pitchers to read & steal on. For example he might throw the slider from a high arc or a low arc.

If you look at his career he's been very consistant.

2004 OH 15GS 8W-2L 3.30ERA, 1.29WHIP, .230BAA.

2002 OH 22GS 8W-5L 3.64ERA, 1.14WHIP, .236BAA

1987+ OH 147GS 68W-42L 4.03ERA, 1.26WHIP, .240BAA

Mid 1.20WHIP, solid 50% more wins than losses, & a mid .230BAA.

He showed that same consistency in 2004

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlib...dez_Orlando.stm

The stat that matters most when it comes to El Duque is how many times his performance has left his team in a position to win the game.

Regular Season wise: 147GS, 68W, 42L. In 73% of his starts his team was either tied, ahead, or within striking distance of tying or going ahead. How many pitchers can make that claim?

Post Season wise: His last big game (Oct, 2001)

http://stewthornley.net/worldseries.html

El Duque (Mr October), having won his 1st 8 post-season decisions starting 1998 was facing Schilling.

Hernandez had struggled through much of 2001 hampered by injuries.

Schilling stifled Yankee hitters while Hernandez worked his way in and out of trouble.

1st: single, walk, HBP, 1 out: retires Williams & Finley.

2nd: 1-2-3

3rd: walk, walk, 1 out: retires Durazo & Williams.

4th: single, DP, Mark Grace HR

5th: RON 3, 1 out: runner throw out at plate

6th: 1-2-3

7th: With the score tied 1-1, El Duque exits having given up a walk & HBP.

7th: Stanton in relief got Womack to end the inning with a DP.

The score after 7IP: 1-1. El Duque had once again left a start with his team either tied or ahead.

His last post-season action was Oct, 2004

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gameLog?gameId=241017102

1st: Damon GO, Cabrera K, Ramirez walk, Ortiz walk, Varitek K.

2nd:Nixon FO, Millar PO, Mueller 1B, Bellhorn K

3rd: Ahead 2-0, Damon LO, Cabrera FO, Ramirez K.

4th: Ortiz FO, Varitek K, Nixon FO

5th: Ahead 2-0, Millar walk, Mueller GIFC, Bellhorn walk, Damon GIFC, Cabrera 1B, Ramirez walk, Ortiz 1B, Varitek K. Behind 3-2.

6th: The Yankees scored 2 to take the lead 4-3. Sturtze replaced El Duque.

9th: Boston scores 1 off Rivera. Tied 4-4.

12th: Boston scores 2 off Quantrill & wins 6-4.

For El Duque it was yet another no-decision. He'll give you a heart attack but he'll rarely lose.

If he now appears healthy we don't need Schmidt or Burnett.

ALDS: Mark, Freddy, El Duque. Long relief: Jon, & Jose.

ALCS+WS: Mark, Freddy, El Duque, Jon. Long relief: Jose.

What team has better long relief options in case a starter gets in trouble? Nobody.

Will Burnett or Schmidt give you a better chance to win than Mark or Freddy? No.

Will Burnett or Schmidt give you a better chance to win than El Duque or Jon? Maybe.

You have to believe in El Duque but Jon is still a question mark. One that Jul will certainly hope to answer. But even so Jose is there waiting in the wings if either should falter.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
That's precisely why we can't get Burnett.  It's a physical impossibility to have to AJs on one team.  How many AJs are there on Earth?  Like 12, and they can never be in the same room at the same time or else their heads will explode.  Then what do we have?  Two headless players, and that's just useless and a waste of money and prospects.

I don't make the rules of physics, people.  I just follow them.

good point, i dont really see this helping our team.

headless.jpg

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
For El Duque it was yet another no-decision.  He'll give you a heart but he'll rarely lose.

yes, but this el duque could dish a fastball 90+, while our el duque is lucky to hit 85. its harder to be deceptive when you extremes start to head back toward the average. All of the sudden, you're seeing five different pitches that move differently but reach home at the same time.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
His pitches can dip from mid 50's to low 90's featuring:

2 seam fastball, 4 seam fastball, changeup, curveball, & slider.

What? El Duque has hit 90 one time that i can recall. He has been 80-87 with his fastball most of the time, and he hasnt been able to spot his changeup, curve or slider, resulting in his 2 and 4 seamers getting crushed.

I like El Duque, but he has not shown much this season (durability and recent performance) to warrant my undying faith in him during the second half. If he is shipped to the bully because a trade is made, I will not cry about it, thats for sure.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 12:36 PM)
The Yankees have a few worthy trade pieces...Cano, Wang, and maybe 1 or 2 other elements sitting around.  They're still somewhat bare, but they have things to dump.

Right now Cano and Wang are pretty key to the Yanks getting out of their early season slump. I really dont foresee either of them being tradebait.