TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Pods70Rowand33 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
On Rotoworld, they said that the Blue Jays seem to be the team that will get Burnett.  But then I thought of last year when Freddy was on the block, we weren't the expected suitors for him.  So I'm hoping that the same will happen again.  :gosoxretro:

Time will only tell how everything will turn out, but hopefully it will help us.

QUOTE(Pods70Rowand33 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 01:01 PM)
On Rotoworld, they said that the Blue Jays seem to be the team that will get Burnett.  But then I thought of last year when Freddy was on the block, we weren't the expected suitors for him.  So I'm hoping that the same will happen again.  :gosoxretro:

The Miami Herald article says that's because Burnett want's to be reunited with his old pitching coach up there. However, what do the Marlins care about that? It's the GM's decision and he's going to take the best offer. Hopefully it's KW's

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
I cannot disagree with this more.  Im not going to start a numbers discussion, I will just state that I disagree.

I agree furthermore I still don't think he is injury free. El Duque is still hurt.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
I agree furthermore I still don't think he is injury free. El Duque is still hurt.

I was thinking that his throwing session over the AS break got no pub whatsoever. You know if ozzie and KW liked what they saw, it would be all over the media. I dont think he is healthy either.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
I was thinking that his throwing session over the AS break got no pub whatsoever. You know if ozzie and KW liked what they saw, it would be all over the media. I dont think he is healthy either.

I concur, thanks for the 7 wins el duque, but RIP-thumb.jpg

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)

Yeah, that 4IP and 1ER in Charlotte, just proves it...

:sweep: him out the door. He's done.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)

Gene he might have pitched that but then he may have experienced pain. What we do know is he is coming off an off season injury, he is old, and he went down twice this year. When he was pitching for us he was erratic. therefore my only point is he may not be a person to count on down the stretch.

Holy cow! 4 IP!!! He's ready!

if he's ready, I hope that our bullpen is ready to throw A LOT of innings!

Didnt you expect to hear something about his pitching session in Florida this week? He pitched fairly well in charlotte, who knows what happened afterwards?

All I know is that we only have 4 starting pitchers on our active roster. either a trade is imminent and KW already has some random man set up... or there is going to be a significant roster move to get both Gload and a starter up here (El Duque/McCarthy/Tracey)

The only option of those three is El Duque, and if he isn't ready, there are no options.

Cotts or Hermanson? Not Hermanson, he closey, baby.

Cotts won't start either.

I smell a trade, boys. smell.jpg

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
Didnt you expect to hear something about his pitching session in Florida this week?  He pitched fairly well in charlotte, who knows what happened afterwards?

It was SUNDAY.

People were making a big deal about Buehrle throwing on 2 days rest. They insunuated that Garland on 3 days rest may have caused his lack of control.

pitching TODAY would be 2 days rest for El Duque. But who knows what happened afterwards.... It's the freakin' all-star break. The minor leagues and their limited beat writers are all on break also. The Major League beat writers are all busy covering actual all-stars. What happened afterwards.

Why are you surprised nothing was reported?

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
Gene he might have pitched that but then he may have experienced pain. What we do know is he is coming off an off season injury, he is old, and he went down twice this year. When he was pitching for us he was erratic. therefore my only point is he may not be a person to count on down the stretch.

I'll grant you all those points, but I don't think it's right to say he's gone down twice this season...I'd say he's gone down 1 time, tried to come back too early, and failed. I think both times it was basically the same problem, and he only had about 1-2 starts inbetween DL stints.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
I'll grant you all those points, but I don't think it's right to say he's gone down twice this season...I'd say he's gone down 1 time, tried to come back too early, and failed.  I think both times it was basically the same problem, and he only had about 1-2 starts inbetween DL stints.

Its the same problem that kept him out of the last month last season. A "tired" shoulder. The same shoulder he had surgery on that forced him to miss the 2003 season. I cannot understand how he possibly can be counted on to hold up the rest of the regular season and the playoffs. I also truly doubt KW and Ozzie expect him to hold up either.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
I'll grant you all those points, but I don't think it's right to say he's gone down twice this season...I'd say he's gone down 1 time, tried to come back too early, and failed.  I think both times it was basically the same problem, and he only had about 1-2 starts inbetween DL stints.

semantics, he missed his starts twice due to injury

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
Its the same problem that kept him out of the last month last season. A "tired" shoulder. The same shoulder he had surgery on that forced him to miss the 2003 season. I cannot understand how he possibly can be counted on to hold up the rest of the regular season and the playoffs. I also truly doubt KW and Ozzie expect him to hold up either.

you are correct sir

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
1. Mark Buehrle

2. A.J. Burnett

3. Freddy Garcia

4. Jon Garland

CL-Billy Wagner

SU-Dustin Hermanson

SU-Cliff Politte

RP-Neal Cotts

RP-Luis Vizcaino

RP-Shingo Takatsu

LR-Jose Contreras

Sorry, just wanted to type it out...

It's okay to dream- we all do it. Who knows maybe your dream and KW's dream are similar!?! Only time will tell..

All I can say is this about El Duque: It's always better to be LUCKY than good ;)

But this guy just doesn't benefit from luck he is a lucky charm in itself!

From 1998 thru 2002

Orlando Hernandez Post Season #'s: 97IP 9W 3L 2.51ERA (-1.52 vs regular season)

He did not play in 2003, & he had 1 post season appearance in 2004 & earned a no-decision.

I agree with everything your saying as far as logic goes. Nobody in their right mind would expect a guy with a career 4.03ERA in 147GS to have those kind of post season #'s. No one would expect such a guy to have lost only 27% of his starts over his career.

But somehow, someway, whether it be vodoo, blessing, or he's a baseball God he manages to defy the odds.

Some Yankee fans believe to this day that if Torre had started El Duque over Brown in game 3 there is no way the Yanks lose that series.

It was a weird series. 2 in NY, 2 days off, then 5 days straight between BOS & NY. Brown lasted 2 innings, Vazquez 4, Quantrill 2, Gordon 1.

The Yanks prevailed 19-8. Brown's inepitude gobbled up the Yankee pen.

The next night El Duque pitched 5, in what would be a marathon night of 12. Another 7 more innings gobbled up by the Yankee's pen. The Yankee's pen had pitched 14 innings in those 2 games. No pen can survive that without a day off.

Mussina outpitched Pedro in the next game but Gordon collapsed having pitched 3 innings in the past 2 days.

Schilling outpitched Lieber to tie the series, & Brown's inepitude (not even lasting 2 ip in gm 7) completed the downfall for the Yankees.

Replay it with El Duque instead of Brown:

Gm 3: Let's say EL-D does his 5IP/3ER (he's never done worse in the post). That gives the Yanks a 13-3 lead after 5 in that game. Sturze pitches 2 & Quantrill pitches 2 to end the game. Vazquez, Gordon, & Rivera good to go in Gm 4.

Gm 4: Brown vs Lowe. The Yanks pretty much concede this game after

Brown leaves after 2IP/4R. Vazquez takes over & gives up 4R. The Yanks send E-LO out for mop up duty.

Gm 5: Mussina vs Pedro. With Gordon, Rivera rested odds are the NYY's

close it out.

Gm 6: Schilling vs Lieber. No one could beat Schilling that night.

So if you say BOS wins Gm 5 then you have to say they win Gm 6 as well.

Gm 7: El Duque (3 days rest) vs Lowe (2 days rest).

El Duque did not surrender a run until the 5th in his 1 start vs BOS.

Lowe had surrendered 2 in the 3rd & 2 in the 6th in his start vs El D.

I believe we can assume a similar type game with El D surrendering 3R over 5IP & Lowe surrendering 4R over 6IP. It's a lot easier for Lowe to pitch with a 6R cushion that a scoreless game or behind.

Past the starters both bullpens go on to surrender 2R. It's a much closer game & it comes down to Rivera in the 9th.

Torre made it easier for Boston to come back down 3-0 by starting Brown over El Duque.