The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

Van Dyke has a new article in the trib. The gist is the deal is on hold for the time being. However Kenny wants to sign AJ long term and Ozzie has only very very positive things to say about AJ.

The big piece of the deal is the Sox deal is centered around Marte/Bmac, however, there is talk of an expanded deal that would include Contreras.

At first I kind of shutter at the thought of this. However, if the Sox are going to make a trade they would be moving Contreras to the pen. Now whose to say Contreras would make a good closer. What if the Sox got depth in Lowell and Mota (who could definately do a very good job if healthy in the pen). Or could the Sox find some other help?

I don't know, but it makes sense to get a guy like Mota. The only problem I'd have is that if the Sox deal Contreras and Bmac they have zero options if Duque or another starter goes down.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Little more rumors:

Sources indicated Williams also was working on deals to bring in more bullpen help, especially if Marte is traded, and another middle infielder. The reliever will not be Philadelphia closer Billy Wagner, who was taken off the trade market because the Phillies are still in the NL East and wild-card races.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Burnett shrugs off trade talk, shuts down Giants

SAN FRANCISCO - (KRT) - A.J. Burnett can't say with any certainty whether he'll finish the season, much less the week, with the Florida Marlins. What he does believe with some conviction is that he'll be contributing to a contending team's postseason push.

Until told otherwise, that team is the Marlins.

Burnett allowed one unearned run through 7 1/3 innings Sunday, sending the Marlins to a 4-1 win over the Giants at SBC Park. After losing three of four in Philadelphia, the Marlins capped the 10-game road trip with series wins in Arizona and San Francisco to go 5-5.

The Marlins had never won a series at SBC Park. They'd only won two at Candlestick, the last in 1997. This also marked the first time in more than a month that the Marlins won back-to-back series.

``We got a little offense,'' said manager Jack McKeon, whose team averaged 7.2 runs per game on the road trip. ``We said all along, we score four we've got a heck of a chance to win. . . . Hopefully this continues at home.''

Sunday marked the third time in 20 July games the Marlins held an opponent to fewer than three runs. Burnett cast off the ceaseless trade speculation, surrendering six singles, two of which didn't leave the infield, and striking out four.

Jim Mecir entered in the eighth with one out, two on, and Lance Niekro representing the tying run at the plate. He induced a one-pitch double play and Todd Jones followed with a scoreless ninth for his 16th save.

Three of the Marlins' seven hits left the park. Miguel Cabrera and Burnett contributed solo homers off Giants starter Kevin Correia, and Juan Encarnacion added a two-run shot.

His hitting notwithstanding, Burnett's 102-pitch performance no doubt captivated prospective trade partners. Former Marlins third-base coach and current White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said he was sure Burnett would help somebody.

``He's one of the best arms I've ever seen,'' Guillen said. ``He's a pretty good friend of mine. We got along real well when I was coach. . . . When I see his name in the media when everybody wants him, I feel good about it because he's a good friend of mine. Hopefully he can do the best for anybody he's going to play for.''

The White Sox and Red Sox appear to be Burnett's most aggressive suitors. The White Sox seem willing to part with lefty reliever Damaso Marte and pitching prospect Brandon McCarthy. Marte is a quality bullpen arm, but the Marlins also need a veteran starter if they are serious about making a run.

That should lead to talks about Jose Contreras, whom the White Sox also are prepared to move.

A 6-7 right-hander, McCarthy is the White Sox's top pitching prospect, but he hasn't proved ready for the majors. In five starts for the White Sox, McCarthy went 0-1 with an 8.14 ERA and allowed eight homers in 24 1/3 innings. He hasn't done much better at Triple-A Charlotte, where he is 3-7 with a 5.17 ERA. McCarthy has 94 strikeouts in 78 1/3 innings. Last season he led all minor-league pitchers with 202 strikeouts.

Marte, 30, earning $1.25 million this season, is in the second year of a three-year, $4.5 million deal he signed in March 2004. Marte's salary increases to $2.25 million in 2006.

Contreras has one year left on the four-year, $32 million deal he signed with the Yankees. He is owed $10.8 million through next season, including an $8 million 2006 salary.

What might derail a deal with the White Sox is Burnett's willingness to sign an extension. Asked whether he would entertain an offer before filing for free agency, Burnett said: ``I'm kind of both ways with it. If it's the right team and the right place, then why not, but I'm still pretty keen on seeing what's going on in the offseason.''

After helping them win four of six, Burnett doesn't doubt the right team - through season's end, at least - is the Marlins.

``We just showed that this team here, we can win it,'' he said. ``Hopefully I can stick around and see what happens here because we've got a good squad. . . . If (a trade) happens, it happens. If not, why not win it here?''

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
If Contreras is included then I have to agree with others that there is something else in the works. Contreras+Marte+BMac amounts to WSox freeing up $6M.  That's about what they would take on in Wagner & Vizquel.

I don't think the Sox have the chips to make all those type of deals. However, they could get Vizquel and Eyre...that would make sense. Valido and Gio and Bmac are dealt at the deadline (plus Marte and Contreras)

Sox get Burnett, Vizquel, Mota and Eyre. Maybe they move Lowell or they could keep him. I'd think any expanded deal with the Marlins would give teh Sox something else they'd want. They aren't going to give up Contreras, Bmac, and Marte all in the same deal for just Burnett thats for sure.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
Van Dyke has a new article in the trib.  The gist is the deal is on hold for the time being.  However Kenny wants to sign AJ long term and Ozzie has only very very positive things to say about AJ.

The big piece of the deal is the Sox deal is centered around Marte/Bmac, however, there is talk of an expanded deal that would include Contreras.

At first I kind of shutter at the thought of this.  However, if the Sox are going to make a trade they would be moving Contreras to the pen.  Now whose to say Contreras would make a good closer.  What if the Sox got depth in Lowell and Mota (who could definately do a very good job if healthy in the pen).  Or could the Sox find some other help?

I don't know, but it makes sense to get a guy like Mota.  The only problem I'd have is that if the Sox deal Contreras and Bmac they have zero options if Duque or another starter goes down.

The only problem I'd have is that if the Sox deal Contreras and Bmac they have zero options if Duque or another starter goes down.

That doesn't sound like Ozzie at all, if Contreras is part of any deal, I think it would have to be one helluvah deal(s) favoring us.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
The only problem I'd have is that if the Sox deal Contreras and Bmac they have zero options if Duque or another starter goes down.

That doesn't sound like Ozzie at all, if Contreras is part of any deal, I think it would have to be one helluvah deal(s) favoring us.

So you're saying we'll get Burnett and Schmidt, eh?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)

Thats what I'm saying. It really wouldn't make sense for the Sox to lose that option, especially considering El Duque isn't exactly a workhorse whose known for staying healthy.

I can't see the Sox giving up both Contreras and Bmac unless they get something to the point that Kenny feels confident rolling the dice. You also have to figure at this point, assuming the other 4 starters stay healthy, the Sox are going to make the playoffs, so if Duque went down, sure it would hurt the Sox down the stretch, it wouldn't knock them out of playoff contention (its going to take a lot more than having a s***ty 5th starter to do that, imo) and quite frankly your 5th starter is rarely a contributing factor in the playoffs (I know Lowe kicked ass last year for the BoSox).

Actually that report makes it more interesting. There's no mention of the money that NYY gave to the White Sox with Contreras going to Florida.

So they would inherit the original terms of the contract.

My understanding was that he had $17M left for 05-06 & the NYY's threw in $3M. Dropping his cost to about $7M/yr. But the contract is backloaded which means if Contreras is traded his services to the White Sox will cost no more than $3.5M for 2005. That would make the E-Lo for Contreras deal one of the best in KW's resume.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:39 AM)
I'm now going to sleep a little disappointed because of Bruuuuuuuuuuce.  If he hadn't said this, I really wouldn't have been hoping all day that he was right.  That son of a b**** better be right and Burnett's on the Sox when I wake up in the morning.

Yeah I know. I have to wake up at 9 AM tomorrow but I want to stay up as late as possible with enough sleep to go find my new doggy as possible. Gawsh Bruce Levine, way to get out hopes up!

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
I'm now going to sleep a little disappointed because of Bruuuuuuuuuuce.  If he hadn't said this, I really wouldn't have been hoping all day that he was right.  That son of a b**** better be right and Burnett's on the Sox when I wake up in the morning.

You're best off not getting your hopes up over rumors. Just wait for it to be true. You'll save yourself big time.

What is Boston's offer for Burnett? Arroyo and a AA pitcher named Anibel Sanchez?

I googled Anibel Sanchez, and this is the first thing that popped up: "Anibel Sanchez is getting absoulety skull f***ed in the Dominican League. Maybe Zenny can do a full preview for us? 0-3 7.82 ERA in 4 starts."

If Florida wants to compete this year, why wouldn't they take Contreras and Gio instead? Heck, we could throw in Munoz or Diaz too, or Bajenaru. I think there are a lot of offers we could make that are better than Boston's offer that wouldn't require BMac.

KW, DON'T BLINK FIRST. Burnett is going to be moved, and you don't have to overpay to get him.

Jason, I like your thoughts about getting those guys (Vizquel/Eyre/Mota/Burnett), but I really can't see it happening. I've never bought the whole 'chemistry' argument when a GM is trying to improve the team, but with that scenario, your replacing basically a fifth of the 25-man roster.

I do agree with you, however, that a trade for Burnett wouldn't send both Contreras and McCarthy -- rather, one or the other. I'm still hoping that he's sticking to his guns, and basically telling Florida to take it or leave it, Contreras and Anderson/Sweeney for Burnett. And, if we were to take on part of Lowell and his contract, Contreras + a lesser prospect.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 05:31 AM)
I'm still hoping that he's sticking to his guns, and basically telling Florida to take it or leave it, Contreras and Anderson/Sweeney for Burnett.  And, if we were to take on part of Lowell and his contract, Contreras + a lesser prospect.

your forgeting that bernett said he would not sign a contract extrention for the sox. why trade contreras for a rental? we have contreras locked up past 2006 maybe even 2007 if i recall correctly.

basicly we would give up a sured up rotation of the furture for a some what better rotation for 1/2 a year

f*** that

KW wont do that, he got garcia and contreras for now and later

why would he turn contreras around for bernett? if it was his choice between an unproven Bmac or an improving signed up contreras, hed choose bmac

however, i think the marlins would want contreras

im just gonna try not to read about any of this s*** until it happens

oh, btw: f*** flordia, i want ordais perez from LA.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
Marte+McArthy is almost too much

Your kidding right?? Marte and McCarthy are both expendable. Cotts can get out lefties, and McCarthy, while impressive in spring training, looks like he is at least a year or 2 away from being a legit ML starter. Burnett on the other hand is a very solid ML pitcher right now, who has WAY better stuff than McCarthy, and has the ability to be a legit #1 starter, something we really need. Yes Buehrle is a nice #1, but not someone that scares you in the playoffs. Burnett can shut down anybody's offense, which is why KW is trying to acquire him.

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:26 AM)
Your kidding right?? Marte and McCarthy are both expendable. Cotts can get out lefties, and McCarthy, while impressive in spring training, looks like he is at least a year or 2 away from being a legit ML starter. Burnett on the other hand is a very solid ML pitcher right now, who has WAY better stuff than McCarthy, and has the ability to be a legit #1 starter, something we really need. Yes Buehrle is a nice #1, but not someone that scares you in the playoffs. Burnett can shut down anybody's offense, which is why KW is trying to acquire him.

Why isn't Buehrle feared in the playoffs but Burnett is??

Buehrle>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Burnett.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 07:30 AM)

How 'bout getting some f***in' sleep, eh? :D

I, myself, would go to sleep, but it turns out that my internal clock doesn't want me to go to sleep until like 4:00. That's what happens in the summer. So my choices are Soxtalk, or Jane Eyre for AP English. Tough choice, huh? :lol:

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:36 AM)
How 'bout getting some f***in' sleep, eh?  :D

I, myself, would go to sleep, but it turns out that my internal clock doesn't want me to go to sleep until like 4:00.  That's what happens in the summer.  So my choices are Soxtalk, or Jane Eyre for AP English.  Tough choice, huh?  :lol:

I don't go to sleep until around 8. Don't ask me why but for some reason I don't get tired until that time. So what else would I do but sit on soxtalk. :P :D

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)

Buehrle throws 89, Burnett 98. If Buehrle is off his game he will give up runs. Burnett can get away with alot more mistakes, and still not give up any runs. I'm not saying Burnett is better than Buehrle right now, but he definitely can be. Burnett has probably THE best stuff in the league, and is entering his prime with a new elbow. I think this guy w/ the right coaching could be the most dominate pitcher in the league, and I'd love to see him do it w/ us. Buehrle/Garland/Garcia/Burnett in the playoffs = WS. IMO

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
Buehrle throws 89, Burnett 98. If Buehrle is off his game he will give up runs. Burnett can get away with alot more mistakes, and still not give up any runs. I'm not saying Burnett is better than Buehrle right now, but he definitely can be. Burnett has probably THE best stuff in the league, and is entering his prime with a new elbow. I think this guy w/ the right coaching could be the most dominate pitcher in the league, and I'd love to see him do it w/ us. Buehrle/Garland/Garcia/Burnett in the playoffs = WS. IMO

AJ has a dynamite arm, nobody and I mean nobody is going to argue that. There are a lot of pitchers who have the "potential" to be better then Mark but very few are better then him. Why? Because he knows what the hell he's doing out there and just flat out knows how to pitch. You say Burnett can get away with more mistakes then Mark well check out the amount of quality starts between the two just because a guy can do something doesn't necessarily always make it true. As of right now AJ isn't even in Mark's league.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:54 AM)
AJ has a dynamite arm, nobody and I mean nobody is going to argue that.  There are a lot of pitchers who have the "potential" to be better then Mark but very few are better then him.  Why?  Because he knows what the hell he's doing out there and just flat out knows how to pitch.  You say Burnett can get away with more mistakes then Mark well check out the amount of quality starts between the two just because a guy can do something doesn't necessarily always make it true.  As of right now AJ isn't even in Mark's league.

I never said Burnett was better than Buehrle right now, but in the playoffs if Burnett is on his game, NOBODY will touch him. The same can't necessarily be said about Buehrle, if he makes 1 or 2 mistakes, which every pitcher does, that could be the game. Burnett can get away with those mistakes. I'm not saying we should go w/ Burnett in game 1, but he is the kinda pitcher who can shut down ANYONE's Offense, and when your facing teams like Boston, the YAnkees or Anaheim that's important.