The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
And Hawk was slamming Marte yesterday. Maybe its my imagination, but Hawk never slams Marte, could he be preparing fans for his departure? One thing I can't understand about Marte is he has had a lingering arm problem this year. He comes off the DL and in almost every game since he has made an appearance or at least warmed up. I think there may have been 1 or 2 games tops where this wasn't the case. I would think they would be more catious with him.

Marte's problems are not the lingering arm problems. Its his mechanics. He had the same exact problem last year. He short arms the fastball rushing the delivery too much and the ball sails. This is why he broke Chavez's hand last year. Its why he doesnt feel comfortable going against lefties and gets deep into counts. When he follows through on his fastball its a crisp 94-95mph with movement in on righties away from lefties. When he short arms it, it sails into lefties and high and away. Its a Rick Ankiel type pitch. If you watch his meatballs, its always when he slows down his delivery a bit, and takes it down to 91 without any movement. He aims it at that point.

But I agree when Hawk starts to do a number on someone, HE GONE!!!!!

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
Looks like it is McCarthy and Marte for Burnett..Should be annouced Tuesday Morning. I read on another MB.. Take it for what it is worth..

which message board? did it seem legit?? gotta give us some more info here

which message board? did it seem legit?? gotta give us some more info here

Chicago bears MB , Someone at the trib called the Guy who is his friend, don't know the guy at all so I can .. Semes about 60% Legit.. I find out more information, and let you guys know.. I miss having a relative working at the paper.. Trades were so much easier to get info for!

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:17 AM)
Marte's problems are not the lingering arm problems. Its his mechanics.  He had the same exact problem last year.  He short arms the fastball rushing the delivery too much and the ball sails.  This is why he broke Chavez's hand last year.  Its why he doesnt feel comfortable going against lefties and gets deep into counts.  When he follows through on his fastball its a crisp 94-95mph with movement in on righties away from lefties.  When he short arms it, it sails into lefties and high and away.  Its a Rick Ankiel type pitch.  If you watch his meatballs, its always when he slows down his delivery a bit, and takes it down to 91 without any movement.  He aims it at that point. 

But I agree when Hawk starts to do a number on someone, HE GONE!!!!!

Bad mechanics sometimes are a result of compensating for injuries. His arm has been bothering him for most of this season, and maybe some of last.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
There was never a 24 hour window. Levine said something could be done in the next 24 hours. I read somewhere where Florida was going to wait a couple of days before moving forward.

The only 24 hour window I was referring to was the thread title.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
That's what I was saying. The thread title was inaccurate.

Exactly, how is that?

Bruce said he expected something to be done within the next 24 hours. Never, and I repeat, never, did I once imply if the deal wasn't done within the next 24 hours it wouldn't get done.

Some of you folks b**** just for the sake of b****ing.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:37 AM)
Exactly, how is that?

Bruce said he expected something to be done within the next 24 hours.  Never, and I repeat, never, did I once imply if the deal wasn't done within the next 24 hours it wouldn't get done.

Some of you folks b**** just for the sake of b****ing.

You're the one b****ing. Levine said something could happen in the next 24 hours. Using the phrase 24 hour window implies the teams have 24 hours to get something done or that window is shut. Here's an example,if they give the Sox a 72 hour "window" to negotiate a contract extension, if that extension isn't agreed upon during that time, the negotiation would be terminated unless Burnett became White Sox property. I don't like Levine, and find some of his stuff incredibly inaccurate. But all he said was talks were serious and a deal could be struck in the next 24 hours. People on this thread are calling him a liar. He actually hasn't said anything that isn't true, even if no deal is eventually agreed to.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
You're the one b****ing. Levine said something could happen in the next 24 hours. Using the phrase 24 hour window implies the teams have 24 hours to get something done or that window is shut.  Here's an example,if they give the Sox a 72 hour "window" to negotiate a contract extension, if that extension isn't agreed upon during that time, the negotiation would be terminated unless Burnett became White Sox property. I don't like Levine, and find some of his stuff incredibly inaccurate. But all he said was talks were serious and a deal could be struck in the next 24 hours. People on this thread are calling him a liar. He actually hasn't said anything that isn't true, even if no deal is eventually agreed to.

Here. This is for you. Now, do we all feel better?

cookie.jpg

EDIT: By the way, I've done nothing BUT defend Levine in this thread; if you could find some b****ing, I'd love to see it. The guy heard a deal would get done within the next 24 hours; I started a new thread in hopes of preventing an influx of repetitive Burnett threads for at least the next day or so. It didn't happen within the 24 hours Bruce mentioned, get over it.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
You're the one b****ing. Levine said something could happen in the next 24 hours. Using the phrase 24 hour window implies the teams have 24 hours to get something done or that window is shut.  Here's an example,if they give the Sox a 72 hour "window" to negotiate a contract extension, if that extension isn't agreed upon during that time, the negotiation would be terminated unless Burnett became White Sox property. I don't like Levine, and find some of his stuff incredibly inaccurate. But all he said was talks were serious and a deal could be struck in the next 24 hours. People on this thread are calling him a liar. He actually hasn't said anything that isn't true, even if no deal is eventually agreed to.

I understood what he meant.

And take it easy. Nobody's calling for Levine's head. I think we're all just having a little fun with him being wrong again.

Bruce Levine sucks.

Is Levine really wrong? As far as I can tell (Trib articles), it sounds like KW has made something like an official offer to the Marlins. They, in turn, are taking their time on making a decision. Something was done in the 24 hour window, it's just that the Marlins have neither accepted nor declined the trade.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
Is Levine really wrong?  As far as I can tell (Trib articles), it sounds like KW has made something like an official offer to the Marlins.  They, in turn, are taking their time on making a decision.  Something was done in the 24 hour window, it's just that the Marlins have neither accepted nor declined the trade.

:P

I can not believe we are discussing this. I mean, Soxtalk LOVES to get nitpicky, but the past page or so have taken it to heights the likes of which have never been seen.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)

I can not believe we are discussing this.  I mean, Soxtalk LOVES to get nitpicky, but the past page or so have taken it to heights the likes of which have never been seen.

seriously, can we maybe talk about how someone on here is reporting that the deal is done and will be reported tomorrow morning, as opposed to arguing about the timeframe of bruce levines reports and who was right who was wrong who was b****ing about it whether levine is wrose than gammons. sheeeeeeeesh

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)

I can not believe we are discussing this.  I mean, Soxtalk LOVES to get nitpicky, but the past page or so have taken it to heights the likes of which have never been seen.

Oh really? I think you are the one nitpicking!!!! :lol:

Bruce stopped just short of gauranteeing that Burnett would come to the Sox, rental or not. he was talking about how JR ok'ed adding a rental if it was necassary. He also talked pretty highly of Burnett, saying that Matt Clement told him that Burnett has more electric stuff than Prior, Wood, Beckett, anyone he has ever pitched with.

I think I read on chicagosports.com or benmaller.com that JR is going to ok a rental, it was KW who prefers to get him signed if possible.

I agree, things are fluid, things can change. Levine said last night he expects this to happen soon. He can report something one day and then things change on him. We are at a disadvantage because we listen to what he says and hold hm to it. Sometimes he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

My main objection is when he's so definitive about stuff, he really stepped in it on the Vizquel thing last winter, but hey, s*** happens. He is in a tough spot sometimes.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
Bruce stopped just short of gauranteeing that Burnett would come to the Sox, rental or not.  he was talking about how JR ok'ed adding a rental if it was necassary.  He also talked pretty highly of Burnett, saying that Matt Clement told him that Burnett has more electric stuff than Prior, Wood, Beckett, anyone he has ever pitched with. 

I think I read on chicagosports.com or benmaller.com that JR is going to ok a rental, it was KW who prefers to get him signed if possible.

No. Effing'. Way.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
Bruce stopped just short of gauranteeing that Burnett would come to the Sox, rental or not.  he was talking about how JR ok'ed adding a rental if it was necassary.  He also talked pretty highly of Burnett, saying that Matt Clement told him that Burnett has more electric stuff than Prior, Wood, Beckett, anyone he has ever pitched with. 

This is good news to me.