Thomas done for the year

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wouldn't say that Frank was the most important hitter in our lineup. Without Pods or Gooch this year, I think we'd be f***ed. But that's besides the point.

As I said earlier, there was serious doubts on whether we'd see Frank again this year before we heard the news today. I don't think our urgency has increased at all. Our hitting needs were already pretty urgent. If there is anything good about Frank being done, its that it resolves the uncertainty that we'd have on his health the rest of the year. Now we can move on and assess our needs knowing that Frank is out of the equation.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
I think we all agree that we can't rely on Carl to be the dh, correct??  I just think we differ in opinion on how good Frank was.  He started off fine imo but just kept getting worse and worse.  To many k's in big situations when we needed to get a runner in from 3rd with less then 2 outs.  Frank just wasn't that good imo no matter what his ops was.

Well... in 7 ABs with a man on third (less than 2 outs), Thomas had .429 AVG, a .364 OBP, and a 1.650 OPS. With 11 RBI's. So... I don't know if this page is wrong, or if we're just remembering the times he failed, or what...

In 25 ABs with RISP, he had a .240/.353/.560 line.

This is the page I'm looking at, BTW. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...tting&year=2005

You're going to be extremely hard pressed to convince me that a guy with a .905 OPS 'isn't very good'...

Edited by CWSGuy406

Statement by Dr. Richard Ferkel

"Frank Thomas was evaluated by me recently at the Southern California Orthopedic Institute for acute onset of pain in his left foot. It appears Frank has re-injured his foot over the last two weeks while playing baseball, and recent evaluation shows a new fracture through the navicular in his foot. Because of the healing time involved with this fracture, it does not appear that Frank will be able to return back to the White Sox this season. I want to emphasize that I do not feel this injury is career ending. The plan for Frank will be to immobilize him in a cast and follow him with sequential x-rays until the fracture is healed. If the fracture does not heal with conservative treatment, he may require additional surgery in the future."

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
with all his injuries does anybody think that because of all Frank's injuries that Sox could sign to like a Matt Morris type deal in the off-season.  That's all he could hope for.  Maybe like a base of $3 million with a lot of bonuses.  This is assuming he isn't completely done.

Frank is going to get a $3.5 million buyout. Considering 3 of the last 5 years his season has been cut short by major injuries, if he's able to play again, I doubt any team would guarantee him anywhere near $3 million . That is assuming Levine's report to be correct. Its also funny how people who have bought the White Sox "more balanced" offense bunk, are also going on and on about what a force Frank was this season. He was the ultimate all or nothing guy, that's all his body would allow him to do. It was basically a homerun, a strikeout, a pop out or a double play this year. Hopefully KW can get a legitimate #3 hitter in the next couple of days. The White Sox will be far better off with someone new than with Frank Thomas playing at 50-75%.

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
Damn.  It hurts when its real.

Big hurt took a lot of abuse, some rightfully so but he is a damn great player. Its a good thing he came back this year and received all those standing O's from all the sox fans. Get well and good luck to the Big Hurt.

This time in the rehab work, assuming he is going to attempt to come back, does anyone think he needs to lose a little weight to relieve some of the stress on the ankle? I don't have any weight numbers in front of me but it seems as though Frank has gained a few pounds over the years and he might be well served to lose 15-20 pounds. Feel free to rip but just wanted to throw it out there.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Well...  in 7 ABs with a man on third (less than 2 outs), Thomas had .429 AVG, a .364 OBP, and a 1.650 OPS.  With 11 RBI's.  So...  I don't know if this page is wrong, or if we're just remembering the times he failed, or what...

In 25 ABs with RISP, he had a .240/.353/.560 line. 

This is the page I'm looking at, BTW. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/spli...tting&year=2005

You're going to be extremely hard pressed to convince me that a guy with a .905 OPS 'isn't very good'...

Then I apologize for not doing my research. Like i said though, he started off fine and just was getting worse and worse, I just don't think he played that well his time here but trust me I'm not trying to convince you of anything cause I know I'm not going to change your opinion.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
Big hurt took a lot of abuse, some rightfully so but he is a damn great player. Its a good thing he came back this year and received all those standing O's from all the sox fans. Get well and good luck to the Big Hurt.

Yeah, I am happy that I got to see him play once this year, hitting what would turn out the be a GW HR vs the D-Rays. You simply cannot describe his presence, and seeing him in a different uni would be unimaginable. Hopefully the Sox can find a spot for him for a couple years until he decides to hang it up...

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
This time in the rehab work, assuming he is going to attempt to come back, does anyone think he needs to lose a little weight to relieve some of the stress on the ankle?  I don't have any weight numbers in front of me but it seems as though Frank has gained a few pounds over the years and he might be well served to lose 15-20 pounds.  Feel free to rip but just wanted to throw it out there.

IIRC Frank is right now at his slimest in 5 years. And I don't think it would matter. His body frame is what it is, and the damage has been done.

Folks, just in case Frank's Sox career is finished or his career is finished in general, remember seeing him person. Remember all of his accomplishments, all of the Sox records that he set. Those two (shoulda been three) MVP seasons. He may never be the same Frank again. But at least we remember the Frank of old, one of the most feared hitters of the '90s. If he does decide to hang it up, it won't be long until his face up there on the left-center field wall, and #35 is retired. Then in 2010, we can all join the celebration as he enshrined in Cooperstown.

Just remember that you were alive to see the greatest hitter in Sox history.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
IIRC Frank is right now at his slimest in 5 years. And I don't think it would matter. His body frame is what it is, and the damage has been done.

For a second, I thought that said slimiest. Ha Ha!! Now I'm gonna cry.....

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
Hello, Red Sox management, this is Kenny Williams.  In return for Manny Ramirez, I am prepared to offer you the Charlotte and Birmingham rosters; and your grandson may have Scott Podsednik and Lisa Dergan's future daughter's hand in marriage.

SFF

just as long as it isn't Lisa Dergan.

Never thought I'd say this...but I'd rather have Everett out there than Thomas. Everett has come up with some big hits for us and has a lot of RBI's.

Now at least the weight of having to share time is off of Everetts mind.

If he can, he cant...if not, who cares, honestly...this team was better before Thomas' arrival.

We have holes, sure...but everyone else does, too. We have the best starting pitching in the AL, nobody else even comes close, nobody else has a solid #1-2, let alone a solid 1-3 and El Duque for backup...nobody has anything NEAR that.

We have a bit weaker of an offense compared to others, but if they execute, that will not matter.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 29, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
If he can, he cant...if not, who cares, honestly...this team was better before Thomas' arrival.

Thank you very much, as you are exactly right.

Perhaps they were playing over their heads, but then again, they didn't have a guy swinging for the fences in the 3-hole.

Like it or not, that is exactly what Thomas was doing in his limited stint this year, going for the longball.

That, in my view, does not fit in with what has made this Sox team successful this season, especially a team which has had to scratch and claw for runs at times.