White Sox preserve core at deadline...

bjm676

I honestly can't complain. We needed a versatile bat on the bench. It was a tough market KW did the best he could.

White Sox preserve core at deadline

BALTIMORE -- Oh, if only the rumors and gossip presented during the past week or two could have played out in reality for the White Sox before Sunday's 3 p.m. CT non-waiver trade deadline.

Not only would the best team in baseball have made a significant upgrade for its push to the franchise's first World Series title in close to 90 years, but it also would have become the most talent-laden crew short of an All-Star team.

The rumor mill began churning full force last weekend, when one Chicago daily newspaper cited sources close to the situation in a story that a trade for Florida starter A.J. Burnett was imminent, with the South Siders giving up left-handed reliever Damaso Marte and Minor League phenom Brandon McCarthy. Versions of this move from two or three weeks earlier had Mike Lowell, Joe Crede, Jose Contreras and even Carl Everett also involved.

By the day after this story was published, a snag popped up that all but squelched the major transaction. Burnett's reported unwillingness to negotiate a new multi-year deal with the White Sox, not to mention the Marlins staying in postseason contention, were part of the problem.

Talk also centered on Philadelphia closer Billy Wagner and Tampa Bay closer Danys Baez, who would have been part of a deal that also brought along outfielder Aubrey Huff to Chicago. Pittsburgh's Rob Mackowiak, a South Side native, also got into the White Sox mix, and one East Coast-based newspaper even went as far as to write about Williams being an interested party as part of a possible Manny Ramirez deal.

Ultimately, when the clock struck 4 p.m. Sunday in Baltimore, the White Sox had added only utility player Geoff Blum in a trade with San Diego. And when you have a 67-35 record and a 13 1/2 game lead over the Twins in the American League Central, that minor improvement really doesn't qualify as tragic.

There certainly wasn't any remorse on the White Sox's part. The players were more than amenable to Williams searching for some level of increased strength, but they quietly voiced their opinions of not wanting to break up a very good thing. In their estimation, the talent and cohesiveness already is in place to win the World Series.

"I don't know how we can't think we can win it," said starting pitcher Mark Buehrle of his team. "With the way we've played to start the season, we haven't gone through that big of a struggle.

"When the playoffs get here, anything can happen. It doesn't matter if you won every game of the season or win the division or win the Wild Card. Once you get to the playoffs, all that gets thrown out and it's a whole new ballgame. But I know we have a chance to do well."

trade deadline 2005

complete coverage >

Buehrle admitted to hearing a couple of teammates' names consistently popping up as trade possibilities. Those players most likely would have been Marte, Contreras and Crede. But Buehrle didn't see an ounce of difference, in terms of clubhouse demeanor, from those veterans as they waited to find out their fate.

He then flashed a wry grin and added that his name was never thrown into consideration, so he was fine. Manager Ozzie Guillen continued the light-hearted approach for a tense time by mentioning that he never worried about this period as a player, because nobody ever wanted him. He added that staying part of a winning team always was a main goal, and that he always hoped the new guy didn't take his roster spot.

"Don't worry about what you can't control" was Guillen's basic message. It was a sentiment echoed by his players in question.

"Whatever they want to do, that's what is going to happen," said Marte in a succinct statement, which hit the mark directly.

Those who believe that Williams and Williams alone makes the trades, from some baseball bunker in U.S. Cellular Field with empty coffee cups strewn about and color-coded notecards for each player close by, are missing the mark a bit with the White Sox. Williams is as prepared as any general manager in the game, but according to Guillen, the decision comes through a committee involving these two leaders, assistant general manager Rick Hahn, Minor League director Dave Wilder and Guillen's coaches.

So, it was no surprise that Guillen had talked with Williams as recently as Saturday and told him that, "Right now, what he has, I don't like it and I don't need it." Guillen also advised Williams to get some sleep and not to make a major deal just to make a deal.

He then reiterated the parameters for the type of player he wanted to be added.

"The thing about deals with the Chicago White Sox now is I don't want names. I don't want superstars," Guillen said. "I want baseball players to get along with the guys over there. I want them to do what we have been doing all year long.

"It's not easy to find those kind of people," Guillen added.

There also are no guarantees for success. It doesn't matter if you possess the best regular-season record in franchise history or pull off a blockbuster trade along the lines of the Freddy Garcia deal from last June.

If the White Sox still need to find a piece for the bullpen or an offensive upgrade, Williams will find a way to get this player through waivers. If not, then the White Sox simply hope to maintain their control and daily focus. This high level of success through 102 games is heavily steeped in fact, not some second-hand piece of information.

"Everybody didn't expect anything, the way we are playing," Buehrle said. "It's not like we are chasing after someone. We didn't need that one big trade to push us over the top. We are doing well with what we've got here, and it shows that [Williams] doesn't want to mess with what's going on here."

"We get to this point right now and if that's the team I'm going to take all the way, then I'll take my chance with this team," Guillen added. "I'm happy with the players we have."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
I honestly can't complain.  We needed a versatile bat on the bench.  It was a tough market KW did the best he could.

Offense still inconsistent? Last I checked, yes.

Bullpen still void one more quality arm? Yes.

He did his job last offseason season and for that I applaud his work. But Williams failed. We need to stop treating him like a five year old child by complimenting him for simply trying.

My reason for criticizing Williams is simple: our team, as assembled, may be one of the best in franchise history. Our record would certaintly suggest that. However, it's obvious we're void one quality bat and one contributing arm in the bullpen. Neither move would guarantee us a World Series championship--nothing does. But no one can suggest to me this team, as currently standing, was not in need of improvement.

If KW felt it necessary to give up more than necessary in the past, why is it any different the one year a postseason birth is almost guaranteed? It's obvious the market is weak, general managers are attempting their Jim Hendry rape proposals. But it's also obvious more than previous years this current club is expected to advance far into the playoffs. I doubt an abundance of talent would have been needed to pry Guardado from Seattle. Huff, while possible to acquire, may have been more difficult. Trade Andersen. Trade McCarthy. It doesn't, and shouldn't have, mattered at this juncture.

I'm disappointed in Williams. You all can continue to pad his ass, but as I've said before, this team collapses or finds itself one-and-done in the playoffs it's all coming back to this point in the trading deadline where KW sat on his hands. And don't think otherwise, because it will.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Kenny has said he isn't willing to trade away the farm for a rental player.

I trust his judgement that we wouldn't be able to get someone decent without giving up too much.

Look around the league too, how many blockbuster trades were there? It looks to me like the deals weren't there to be made.

Just enjoy this season, seriously, some people on here would find a way to complain if we won the division by 10 games instead of 20.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
Kenny has said he isn't willing to trade away the farm for a rental player.

I trust his judgement that we wouldn't be able to get someone decent without giving up too much.

Look around the league too, how many blockbuster trades were there? It looks to me like the deals weren't there to be made.

Just enjoy this season, seriously, some people on here would find a way to complain if we won the division by 10 games instead of 20.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

I think the fact that none of the teams chasing us made a significant move shows that the few sellers were trying to rape the buyers. I am disapointed we don't have every great player available but I am happy that we wern't raped. The morale of the chasing teams has got to be lower by no additions than our group who seem to like each other. They see it as a vote of confidence. Those who seemed destined to go may relax and go on a streak.

While Kenny was willing to trade McCarthy, there was no good option if any starter goes down or for next year. I was afraid of a Doyle Alexander for John Smoltz result.

I don't think it could be much more obvious that the market just wasn't there for us to make an impact trade. You shouldn't just make a move for the sake of making a move, especially when you're 30+ games over .500 with a 13 game lead in your division. Could we use a bat? Sure, but we've also scored 41 runs in our last 6 games. Could we use a bp arm? Sure, but as we stand now our staff ERA is amongst the best in baseball. Could we use a utility IF? Yeah, it was a GLARING weakness and KW filled it.

I think MB hit the nail on the head in the posted article, the Sox aren't in a position to overpay for decent, not great, decent talent (Huff, Baez, Vizquel, Burnett). If it were a matter of overpaying just a bit, I'm confident that KW would have made the move (see El Caballo trade, which we certainly did overpay for Pods) while having faith that the player he's targeted will be a stronger, more valuable contributor to the vision he has in his head. So, knowing that KW won't hesitate to overpay a bit if necessary, it's clear that those selling GMs were asking for ridiculous returns on their trades. There was not ONE blockbuster deal that went down, that really says a lot about this season's parity as well as the state of the market.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
Offense still inconsistent? Last I checked, yes.

Bullpen still void one more quality arm? Yes.

He did his job last offseason season and for that I applaud his work. But Williams failed. We need to stop treating him like a five year old child by complimenting him for simply trying.

My reason for criticizing Williams is simple: our team, as assembled, may be one of the best in franchise history. Our record would certaintly suggest that. However, it's obvious we're void one quality bat and one contributing arm in the bullpen. Neither move would guarantee us a World Series championship--nothing does.  But no one can suggest to me this team, as currently standing, was not in need of improvement.

If KW felt it necessary to give up more than necessary in the past, why is it any different the one year a postseason birth is almost guaranteed? It's obvious the market is weak, general managers are attempting their Jim Hendry rape proposals. But it's also obvious more than previous years this current club is expected to advance far into the playoffs. I doubt an abundance of talent would have been needed to pry Guardado from Seattle. Huff, while possible to acquire, may have been more difficult. Trade Andersen. Trade McCarthy. It doesn't, and shouldn't have, mattered at this juncture.

I'm disappointed in Williams. You all can continue to pad his ass, but as I've said before, this team collapses or finds itself one-and-done in the playoffs it's all coming back to this point in the trading deadline where KW sat on his hands. And don't think otherwise, because it will.

Good grief. Sure there was obvious room for improvement. Same for 29 other teams. The deal simply wasn't there. Kenny is an aggressive GM and has been known to even overpay if need be. His inability to pull off a big move only confirms to me that the asking prices for guys like Huff, Burnett, etc. were totally rediculous. I know its easy being an arm-chair GM, but in the real world, trades don't happen as easy as you'd like.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
Yes and Bryan Dolgin is now Refering to Ryan Meaux as Ryan Moh! :puke Anyways thumbs up to KW for not making any moves just to make a move.  He made a good pick up with Blum and i think we will like Blum a lot.

It's pronounced MO.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Yes and Bryan Dolgin is now Refering to Ryan Meaux as Ryan Moh! :puke Anyways thumbs up to KW for not making any moves just to make a move.  He made a good pick up with Blum and i think we will like Blum a lot.

I'd figure he'd be saying it right then.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Dec 27, 2004 -> 10:50 PM)
Meaux........how is that pronounced?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 27, 2004 -> 10:51 PM)
Mow....

Like mowing the lawn

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Nothing was learned from 2000 and JR pocket more money from attendance and act like you want to go for it. This is not what Sox fans have been promised. :angry:

This is so ignorant. Open your eyes and see that NO ONE made a big move. This speaks volumes to how overpriced the market is. Any major move we would have been made would have cost us multiple starters on this team, and that would have been just stupid.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
This is so ignorant.  Open your eyes and see that NO ONE made a big move.  This speaks volumes to how overpriced the market is.    Any major move we would have been made would have cost us multiple starters on this team, and that would have been just stupid.

Lets see if you feel the same if they lose in first round SS2K.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
Lets see if you feel the same if they lose in first round SS2K.

i don't understand.

what did you want to do?

Trade our entire AAA team to tampa just for Huff?

The ESPN analysts (the ones that are supposed to hate us, remember?) were commending KW for working his ass off and working with what he had to improve the team, even if it was little.

Get over yourself, the world is not against you

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
And a move guarantees us to get into the 2nd round?  GMAFB.

No it does not, but a team that got swept in 2000 and has not won a home playoff game since 1959 sometimes a fan expects a little more.