White Sox preserve core at deadline...

bjm676

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
No it does not, but a team that got swept in 2000 and has not won a home playoff game since 1959 sometimes a fan expects a little more.

so expect us to do well in the playoffs this year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
No it does not, but a team that got swept in 2000 and has not won a home playoff game since 1959 sometimes a fan expects a little more.

And that's why you're a fan not a general manager. Realism seems to separate the two.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
Lets see if you feel the same if they lose in first round SS2K.

So what would you have done of the deals that were out there? Lets here you actually expound on a though instead of giving us the usual negative one liner.

Would you have sent McCarthy, Contreras, and Marte for Lowell and Burnett? Would you have required a resigning of Burnett as a part of the deal? Who would have been your next started if and when Hernandez got hurt?

Would you have sent McCarthy, Anderson, and Contreras for Schmidt? If so would you have exsized his 2006 option at $10.5 million? And once again who would be your emergency starter if either Schmidt or Hernandez got hurt?

If neither of those deals what would you have done? Who would you have gotten and who would you have given up?

Here's the thing guys. The market was just ridiculous this year so nothing happened, in other years with a little better market price, Kenny makes a deal and so do others. I wanted Huff and I love Huff as a player but Tampa is ridiculous to deal with. We're the best team in baseball nobody improved a ton, I fail to see how this deadline hurt us. Everyone should just be happy that we wont have to see Pablo at 3rd anymore and that's no knock on Pablo as an overall player, he's just not a good third baseman

would you seriously give up Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia, Damaso Marte, Aaron Rowand, Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson, Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney. According to Scott Reifort KW was being asked pretty much to trade these guys if he wanted to get a big impact player.

I like the addition of Blum. :)

He is versatile when it comes to playing all the infield postions and some outfield. KW did his best to get someone in this market. WE could have done more have it not have been for San Diego and them letting everyone in the west be a contender. But still there are a lot of teams in contention for the WC so it would have been hard anyways. I cant wait to see what Blum has. :gosox3:

Edited by Ozzie Montana

I don't really care about all of these trades.

All I was happy about was that we got a MLB ball player, traded a guy that we'd never use anyway, and that the trade deadline is over.

All these rumors, all this bulls*** was driving me insane.

I like our chances in the playoffs, and may I remind you, the idiots talking about the 2000 team, that this year the Sox are a much more different ball club?

I can't stand some fools on this board. While I wanted a few things for the deadline, we all are fans and have opinions. But don't question KW's authority.

Plenty of baseball left, still non-waiver deals to be made, and realize that the teams contending with us didn't do jack s***. I didn't see any Rogers, Burnett or Schmidt's being traded.

Keep in mind, in the playoffs, you only really need 3 starting pitchers.

Have a nice day, you few pessimists.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
I don't really care about all of these trades.

All I was happy about was that we got a MLB ball player, traded a guy that we'd never use anyway, and that the trade deadline is over.

All these rumors, all this bulls*** was driving me insane.

I like our chances in the playoffs, and may I remind you, the idiots talking about the 2000 team, that this year the Sox are a much more different ball club?

I can't stand some fools on this board. While I wanted a few things for the deadline, we all are fans and have opinions. But don't question KW's authority.

Plenty of baseball left, still non-waiver deals to be made, and realize that the teams contending with us didn't do jack s***. I didn't see any Rogers, Burnett or Schmidt's being traded.

Keep in mind, in the playoffs, you only really need 3 starting pitchers.

Have a nice day, you few pessimists.

whoa the beast steppin out and making some comments...knuck knuck knuck. Would have liked to have seen another bullpen guy so we wouldn't need adkins.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:36 PM)
whoa the beast steppin out and making some comments...knuck knuck knuck. Would have liked to have seen another bullpen guy so we wouldn't need adkins.

whoa quickman coming out of the closet.. :bang

The last time I checked, Steve Kline was available.

Edited by Beastly

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
So what would you have done of the deals that were out there?  Lets here you actually expound on a though instead of giving us the usual negative one liner.

Would you have sent McCarthy, Contreras, and Marte for Lowell and Burnett?  Would you have required a resigning of Burnett as a part of the deal?  Who would have been your next started if and when Hernandez got hurt? 

Would you have sent McCarthy, Anderson, and Contreras for Schmidt?  If so would you have exsized his 2006 option at $10.5 million?  And once again who would be your emergency starter if either Schmidt or Hernandez got hurt?

If neither of those deals what would you have done?  Who would you have gotten and who would you have given up?

Just so you know... your silence speaks volumes.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
would you seriously give up Mark Buehrle, Jon Garland, Freddy Garcia, Damaso Marte, Aaron Rowand, Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson, Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney.  According to Scott Reifort KW was being asked pretty much to trade these guys if he wanted to get a big impact player.

The first 5 are obvious and while I was in no rush to trade BMac or Young, but Anderson, Sweeney, Jenks should not have been untouchable.

Btw:

I'll be quite interested to hear(and it will come out) what the impact trade was that was nixed by the other teams ownership group. I'm betting it was Guardado.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:59 AM)
The first 5 are obvious and while I was in no rush to trade BMac or Young, but Anderson, Sweeney, Jenks should not have been untouchable.

Btw:

I'll be quite interested to hear(and it will come out) what the impact trade was that was nixed by the other teams ownership group. I'm betting it was Guardado.

One of the Chicago papers said it was Wagner.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
Nothing was learned from 2000 and JR pocket more money from attendance and act like you want to go for it. This is not what Sox fans have been promised. :angry:

WHO WAS THERE TO GET?

Burnett? No.

Wagner? No.

Soriano? No. and we dont need em

Manny? Yes. but at 20 million dollars he's laughable

Griffey? Maybe. but his contract would have the sox paying him for the next 20 YEARS. and do you want to bench the heart of ur team in rowand?

THERE WASN'T ANYONE AVAILABLE! WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO WHEN THERE ISN'T ANYONE WILLING TO TRADE GOOD PLAYERS?

nobody got better this deadline except maybe the cubs, stop blaming Kenny or JR because there's no blame to be placed. It wasn't a buyers marker, it wasn't a sellers market.... there was no market.

What happens when youre the best team in your league and nobody gets better? Your still the best team in your league.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Some folks have a hard time understanding that it's not alway possible to make that blockbuster move just before the trading deadline. The pickings were slim and the asking prices too high this year.

The people who are criticizing KW for not making a major trade are people who just want to make trade for the sake of making trade. The trading market is as dry as the desert. If you want a glass of water, you have to pay an arm and a leg.

To those people, what would have you done if you were KW? Would you trade away Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, etc? I don't believe you know what you really want!