The people here who are disappointed with KW...

Princess Dye

.... absolutely wouldve been complaining if the opposite had happened.... if a trade had gone down, ppl would be saying how we gave up too much for Baez, etc

sellers were asking for a lot this year... it's not like we were the only team trying to pry away Baez (or starters)

to those displeased ppl out there... at least be happy we still have a farm system ... one we can trade away next year if we have to, when the market might be a little more fruitful.

and that's another thing: the guys we have are better than a lot of whats available anyway. why throw away your young players for that?

KW had a very rocky start as White Sox GM. Since then he has worked hard to become one of the better ones in the AL. We didn't need him to backslide back to overpaying for dubious talent. I couldn't stand the old KW. The newer one is A OK with me and if he didn't make a major move, it's because it just wasn't there. KW has learned to discipline his natural aggessiveness.

yet you just know he wanted to trade those youngsters.

i think if the asking price had been anywhere near sane, he wouldve parted with some prospects this year.

he loves to win each year. as fans we have to appreciate that.

what fun is it to wait around for prospects forever? think about how much time you have spent thinking about/drooling over prospects that never did a thing at the major league level.

it's scary, i want all that time back

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
.... absolutely wouldve been complaining if the opposite had happened.... if a trade had gone down, ppl would be saying how we gave up too much for Baez, etc

sellers were asking for a lot this year... it's not like we were the only team trying to pry away Baez (or starters)

to those displeased ppl out there... at least be happy we still have a farm system ... one we can trade away next year if we have to, when the market might be a little more fruitful.

and that's another thing: the guys we have are better than a lot of whats available anyway.  why throw away your young players for that?

Exactly, Princess Dye.

I mean look when we traded Dumbass Caballo away -- the threads started about getting a terrible .240 hitter that wouldn't help...yadda yadda yadda. Olivo being the future Hall of Famer and getting Garcia. There was lamenting and gnashing of e-teeth.

If KW traded ANYBODY on the team the reactionaries here would have jumped on "Why did we have to give up X for that player? What a bad move by KW!". And for those who are disappointed, realize a few things.

1. We have the best record in baseball for pretty much the whole season

2. We are currently 14 games up in 1st place & have been enthroned there damn near the whole year.

3. The AL East pitching staffs aren't all that great. The AL Central is one of the stronger divisions in baseball recordwise...especially compared to the East.

4. We are 46 games away from clinching the division and it is possible to have it wrapped up by the end of August.

Kick back. Grab a beer. Enjoy life. Life is good right now...damn good.

"We weren't willing to give up Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, A.J. Pierzynski, Bobby Jenks, Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson or Aaron Rowand," Williams said.

I would have liked to have seen the reaction from those "make a trade at all costs" people if we had to move some of these guys. If Kenny isn't bulls***ting us here, and this is indeed the list of guys brought up in trade proposals, then I couldn't be happier that we didn't make a giant move.

In a market where Chuck Lamar was basically asking for a top pitching prospect (McCarthy, Petit) for a friggin' relief pitcher -- Kenny did good to not overpay.

The Blum move is a good one, too. He's a nice backup to have.

And, I'm 90% sure we'll get a reliever in the next 30 days. IIRC, we got Sullivan that way two years ago.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 04:37 AM)
And, I'm 90% sure we'll get a reliever in the next 30 days.  IIRC, we got Sullivan that way two years ago.

Yes we did. Good players are still obtained after the trade deadline. Larry Walker being a prime example last year.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
Yes we did.  Good players are still obtained after the trade deadline.  Larry Walker being a prime example last year.

We will not be getting any players of significance this year after the deadline. Any contending team that even thinks the White Sox would be part of a trade would put a waiver claim onthe guy to squash it.

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 07:14 AM)
We will not be getting any players of significance this year after the deadline.  Any contending team that even thinks the White Sox would be part of a trade would put a waiver claim onthe guy to squash it.

Not really. It's a risky move. They would have to claim the player & salary and put them on their roster.

Not a lot of teams would do that.

i.e. Larry Walker

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 04:39 AM)
Yes we did.  Good players are still obtained after the trade deadline.  Larry Walker being a prime example last year.

But no relievers of significance will make it thru waivers this yr, there's just too many teams that need them who'll have no qualms about claiming them.

I'm definitely disappointed we didn't get a BP arm but that's also tempered by the fact that neither did Boston, NYY, or Oakland. Those 3 are hurting much worse than us by the "non-trades".

That said, I'm sure Sammy Sosa will clear waivers.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
But no relievers of significance will make it thru waivers this yr, there's just too many teams that need them who'll have no qualms about claiming them.

I'm definitely disappointed we didn't get a BP arm but that's also tempered by the fact that neither did Boston, NYY, or Oakland. Those 3 are hurting much worse than us by the "non-trades".

That said, I'm sure Sammy Sosa will clear waivers.

Sosa might get released.

The Sox did the right thing by standing pat. I'd prefer to have seen a big bat, but realistically, there weren't any available on the market at anything resembling a reasonable price.

No one else made a blockbuster deal, either, so this doesn't shuffle the deck much. I feel pretty good about the Sox' chances.