Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
Remember that ass whipping we gave you in the big house? Remember the OSU game in the big house? Jealous U of M fans. :P

BCS! BCS! BCS!

Why you little...

I just wish Michigan fired Carr last year and hired Weis I guess.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
There is no doubt in my mind that Weis is God.

Did anyone else notice how the key decision of that game was basically made by Weis with about 1:50 left in the game? The Cardinal had the ball at the 4 yard line with 1:50 left, they ran a play that went no where, and Weis called a time out. The ABC Guys were saying it was a terrible call since it gave Stanford a chance to figure out what they wanted to do...and on the next play they scored.

Then you just kinda noticed...hey, ND gets the ball back with 1:45 on the clock. Suddenly they have plenty of time. Wonder how that happened.

Charlie Weis may very well have won that game by calling a timeout.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:49 AM)
Yes I am.

Congrats ND you beat Stanford. The Stanford Cardinal who lost to UC Davis. Put ND in the Big Ten and they're a 7-4 team. I know they meant well with their schedule this year but it ended up being pretty weak looking back at it.

Name me the 4 teams in the Big 10 that they would lose to.

The way I see it...OSU probably beats them. I don't think much of PSU and I think on a good day Iowa could give them a run for there money but I think in the end ND's secondary is stronger than Iowa's and that Nd's offense is better than Iowa's (I happen to think Iowa has a very strong offense).

So basically put, I think OSU clearly could take them, and that the PSU and Iowa games would be games. They are better than the rest of the Big 10 though.

Of course people would argue that I'm a homer when it comes to Iowa. I still they right now they are playing very good football and If I were a highly ranked team I wouldn't want to play them.

The Hawks are a well coached team who have been in big games before and they aren't afraid of them. Plus they have as much talent and skill as most of the best teams in the country.

We know how I feel though, I Think there are more than a few over-rated Top 10-15 teams this year.

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 12:32 AM)
Iowa?

Come on Jas.

Right now they are playing the 3rd best football in the big 10. I happen to think they'd beat PSU on a neutral field. I know they'd get clocked by OSU on a neutral field.

They blew the Michigan game, they blew the NU game. They are a better team than the one that was in either of those games.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 01:16 AM)
Noooo, Gioia needs to be the kicker.

Hell I'd love to see Carl be the kicker next year, my statement really had nothing to do with him. I'm just glad we have a kid coming in that Weis wanted and that can kick the ball...having depth at kicker isn't a problem at all.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 02:49 AM)
Yes I am.

Congrats ND you beat Stanford. The Stanford Cardinal who lost to UC Davis. Put ND in the Big Ten and they're a 7-4 team. I know they meant well with their schedule this year but it ended up being pretty weak looking back at it.

7-4? That's pretty much downright laughable. The only team I'd see ND losing to is OSU, w/PSU giving them a run for their money. The rest of the teams probably don't have the defense to match up with ND's offense (well potentially Iowa, but their lack of a pass rush would do them in). Of course this is entirely moot, seeing as though the Big Ten wants no part of ND ever in their conference. Michigan and OSU will always block that from ever happening, not that I want it of course...I'm just saying that's how it is.

Besides, ND plays about 3-4 big ten teams each year. In fact, Michigan, Purdue, PSU, and Michigan State are on our schedule next year. Hell, some teams in the big ten don't even play all of those teams in the same year. Also, ND plays them four games in a row so I guess they'll have the Big 10 title wrapped up around Sept 30th. :lol:

I could go on, but really I'll let ND prove themselves on the field. They have all year. :D

Edited by Fotop

ND is a pretty damn good team. With that said, it wouldn't surprise me to see them 5-3 in the Big Ten. OSU beats em easy. MSU already did. Penn St. is way overrated, ND would clean them out if that's the BCS matchup. I could see one of Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Northwestern beating ND. The thing is when you are playing good teams on a weekly basis you can't have a bad game and get away with it. 5-3 in the Big Ten is pretty good, I don't know how you can say ND is 7-4 when you don't know what games you are cutting out of the schedule left for non-conference.

I think ND is a good team as much as I hate to admit it. I should add that I'm not saying they would go 5-3 in Big Ten play, but it wouldn't surprise me. I would expect 6-2 to be honest, which is still worthy of a top 15 ranking in the country if not higher.

Just in case anyone is wondering here's ND's 2006 Football Schedule:

S 02 @ Georgia Tech

S 09 PENN STATE

S 16 MICHIGAN

S 23 @ Michigan St.

S 30 PURDUE

O 07 STANFORD

O 21 UCLA

O 28 @ Navy (Baltimore)

N 04 NORTH CAROLINA

N 11 @ Air Force

N 18 ARMY

N 25 @ Southern Cal

Outside of the service academies (some of which we have history with...I don't get why we added army), they play a major conference team EVERY week. But I'm sure people will say they play nobody when said major conference teams don't live up to their hype (see: this season). So let the b****ing begin... :P

In the grand scheme of things it's pretty impossible for ND to win in the eyes of its haters...because now that they're winning it's because their schedule is "easy". I guess it just comes with the territory, but it's good to be hated again. :cheers

Team #1

10-1

Only loss to USC

Beat Stanford by 24

Team #2

9-2

Lost to USC and a non-bowl team

Beat Stanford by 7

Team #3

9-2

Lost to the #4 team and another ranked team

Beat 3 top 30 teams

One is BCS bound, the other 2 aren't.

Guess which? :P

Oh well.

Congrats, Irish fans.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
Team #2

9-2

Lost to USC and a non-bowl team

Beat Stanford by 7

You forgot the fact that team #2 only beat 3 teams with winning records, two of those teams being BYU and Navy.

As bad a schedule as ND played this year, Oregon played an even worse one (their best win was against Fresno, who finished 3rd in the WAC....and they were LUCKY to win that game), and ND brings A TON of money to any bowl it goes to, so the BCS taking them makes a lot of sense.

With that said, Notre Dame has a great offense and a miserable defense....so they need to hope for the right matchup in their BCS game or they will have issues.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
As bad a schedule as ND played this year, Oregon played an even worse one (their best win was against Fresno, who finished 3rd in the WAC....and they were LUCKY to win that game), and ND brings A TON of money to any bowl it goes to, so the BCS taking them makes a lot of sense.

With that said, Notre Dame has a great offense and a miserable defense....so they need to hope for the right matchup in their BCS game or they will have issues.

Thats the only reason ND will be in a BCS bowl.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 27, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
Thats the only reason ND will be in a BCS bowl.

and, even as an ND hater, I accept that.

What I hate is, if the Irish have an agreement with the Big East about bowl games, whereas the Irish can be picked over other Big East schools, why the hell is there going to be a Big East team getting an automatic BCS bid?

How many years in a row now are we complaining that the Big East's BCS representitive is by far the weakest, and seems to be there over more deserving clubs? Get them the f*** out of the BCS.

5 conferences, and 3 at large.