What's the best sox game

SnB

The game against the A's in 2000 when Singleton got on base in the bottom of the 9th when the Sox were down a run. He broke to steal 2nd and the catcher threw the ball into center, then he advanced to 3rd. He scored on a balk after that.

They held the A's scoreless in the top of the 10th, then Jose Valentin walked to lead off the bottom of the inning. Thomas hit a line shot right off the top of the wall and Valentin scored from 1st. The play at the plate was so close and Valentin's slide was perfect. There was also just the perfect little delay for the ump to call him safe. And when he did, the crowd went insane.

I saw a couple sweet walk-offs last year, but I still have to say my first.

http://baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/box...id=199407300CHA

It was July of '94, right before the strike. The Sox won the game, and Frank hit a HR, on the first pitch he saw. I'll never forget the first time I saw the park in person too; so awesome.

I went to a Sox series in Milwaukee. It was '87. We stayed in the same hotel the Sox stayed in. My best friend and I wrote down how many times we saw each player. We talked to Fisk, talked to Kenny Williams, got kicked out of the Mecca, and Ozzie brought his kids and they were loud and absolutely crazy, like their dad. It was just fun.

Also, three years in a row, I went to a game where Ozzie homered. Two of those years, it was his only HR.

I just love going to the games, there isn't one that I can say was the absolute best.

I didn't go to alot of games before '03 so i have a limited say.

'03 game against the cubs @ the cell. We had 3rd row seats in the bleachers for this one.

It was a tight game all the way, interrupted by an hour downpour in like the 7th.

It was tied in the 9th when the great d'angelo jiminez scored mags. I don't think i ever jumped so high in my life.

I was also at the paninagua game that year :(

Remember back in 93 when Appier and Fernandez had a pitchers duel going. Bottom of the 8th, Sox down 2-1, Jeff Montgomery was brought in to face Frank with a guy on base and Frank took him yard. Sox won 3-2.

I was at the 2000 game where Jeff Abbott went yard in the bottom of the 9th off the Twins in May.

Any game at when the Sox won, I had a blast. Than there were games in 2002 against Montreal. VLad taking Foulke yard in the 9th and another where CLee got picked off 3rd to end the game and Sox lose by 1.

During the playoff season from a couple of years ago, White Sox were down 1 against the Yankees and Rivera after a long rain delay. Carlos homered to tie the game leading off, and then Valentin had a bloop single to win it. Great game for the few that stayed during the delay.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
During the playoff season from a couple of years ago, White Sox were down 1 against the Yankees and Rivera after a long rain delay.  Carlos homered to tie the game leading off, and then Valentin had a bloop single to win it.  Great game for the few that stayed during the delay.

I remember watching at home and flipping away at the commercial and came back to see Carlos rounding the bases. I was pissed I missed it, but loved Valentin's broken bat single to win it.

Best game I ever went to was actually a Rangers/Rockies game where Dante Bichette hit for the cycle....

The Sox always play like crap when I attend.

Colorado Rockies      AB   R   H RBI      BB  SO      PO   A

Perez ss 5 1 3 1 1 0 5 4

Lansing 2b 5 1 1 0 1 0 2 1

Bichette lf 6 2 4 5 0 0 1 0

Castilla 3b 4 1 3 1 1 0 0 2

Colbrunn rf 3 1 0 0 1 0 1 0

McElroy p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Leskanic p 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0

Walker ph 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0

DiPoto p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Helton 1b 5 1 2 1 0 0 12 1

Manwaring c 4 0 0 0 0 1 4 1

Goodwin cf 5 0 0 0 0 1 4 0

Jones p 2 1 1 1 0 0 0 1

Bates ph 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

DeJean p 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Vander Wal rf 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 0

Totals 41 9 14 9 6 3 30 12

FIELDING -

DP: 2.

E: Helton (3).

BATTING -

2B: Perez (12,off Oliver); Bichette (21,off Oliver).

3B: Bichette (1,off Wetteland).

HR: Bichette (8,6th inning off Levine 0 on, 2 out).

HBP: Manwaring (2,by Oliver).

IBB: Castilla (6,by Oliver).

Team LOB: 10.

June 10, 1998

July 2nd, 2003

Pauly was in one of the worst slumps you're ever gonna see and comes through with a game tying HR against Guardado in the 11th, it was Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar's first game with the Sox and Frank hit a walk off in the 12th off of Guardado. There may only of been 19,555 fans there but it sounded like 40,000.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 10:30 PM)
July 2nd, 2003

Pauly was in one of the worst slumps you're ever gonna see and comes through with a game tying HR against Guardado in the 11th, it was Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar's first game with the Sox and Frank hit a walk off in the 12th off of Guardado. There may only of been 19,555 fans there but it sounded like 40,000.

that's the best sox game i've ever seen.....too bad it was on tv.

hawk went nuts

Ventura Grand slam off of Gossage

2 out bottom of the ninth back against the wall grand slam to win the game.

I remember the fireworks and then the reaction of the fans. Going down the ramps after the game and it seemed that the place was shaking. That was the most electric I can remember the place being.

I remember not wanting to leave.

New ballpark, new memories.

Edited by southsideirish71

Best game I ever went to was actually a Rangers/Rockies game where Dante Bichette hit for the cycle....

Oh the cycle story I have...

I went to a Red Sox/Marlins interleague game in 2003 at Fenway. The Red Sox scored 10 runs before the first out was recorded, a new MLB record. In the FIRST INNING (which lasted a full hour), Johnny Damon and David Ortiz completed 3/4 of the cycle. Damon was a HR short, Ortiz a triple short.

Needless to say, Damon never got that HR, Ortiz never got that triple. It was hilarious seeing them try, though. Also, the Red Sox fans left in droves after it was obvious the game would go into the wee hours and the result was certain, so I had front row seats behind first base before I too left early at around midnight.

Best Sox game I ever saw was the one this year against the Dodgers where they came back and AJ hit the walk off homer of Yhancy.

A close 2nd is a game I saw in 1999 or 2000 when the Sox came from behind to beat Percival and the Angels in Anaheim. I was going absolutely crazy and ended up being one of the background people on the ESPN telecast (it was a Sunday night game and a couple of my friends said they could specifically hear me cheering on the Sox).

Best game I ever attended was a game at Dodger stadium where Dennis Martinez threw a perfect game. A close 2nd was the no hitter I saw Mark Langston and Mike Witt combine on in Anaheim.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:30 AM)
July 2nd, 2003

Case Closed that was the best game I have ever seen... Konerko finally came up huge and Frank ripped one inside the pole down third base... amazing :headbang

It was 1989....the Sox played the Angels at old Comiskey. We were down the 3rd base line on the lower deck in the last row before the walkway. They had a make-shift beer vender (50gal drums full of ice and beers) along the rail right directly behind us. We didn't have to leave our seat once or wait for a vendor...nothin...just turn around. The best part (if it gets any better than that)...there were 3 gorgeous girls sitting right in front of us that we hit it off with. After the game we went to Lake Shore Drive with them and back to their place and pretty much partied all night. To this day I have no idea if the Sox won or lost?!? God smiled on us that day!!!

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
July 2nd, 2003

yep same here it was great! I Remember maggs grounded into DP i think with bases loaded that could of won the game...good thing they won,also coming back from 8 against the cubs that was awesome, i guess i get lucky with games

Edited by Spod=Ratings

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 7, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Ventura Grand slam off of Gossage

2 out bottom of the ninth back against the wall grand slam to win the game. 

I remember the fireworks and then the reaction of the fans.  Going down the ramps after the game and it seemed that the place was shaking.  That was the most electric I can remember the place being.

I remember not wanting to leave.

New ballpark, new memories.

I was at this game too...but I would have to go with this year's Dodgers game when AJ hit the game winner....that was so exciting to witness in person.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 8, 2005 -> 03:30 AM)
July 2nd, 2003

I have that game on tape and pull it out and watch it whenever I need a Sox related thrill. Great to do in the winter.

I was at the all-star game at Comisky when Fred Lynn hit the grand slam. Fantastic!

Edited by Carlo Paz

I have two favorites, one is Lee's slam to beat the Cubs it was great becuase I was with my best friend who is a cub fan, and close second would be AJ's walk off this year against the Dodgers, I couldn't even fall asleep that night because I still jacked up when I got home. Other than those two games I have been to alot of s***ty games like Camerons 4 hr game, I been thru two seperate 8 game losing streaks when I go.

I was at the AJ walkoff against the Dodgers this year, that was up there, but #1 was probably 6-27-03 when Valentin hit a walkoff homer to beat the Cubs. Another great game I was at was on 6-3-01 against the Tigers. We were down 6-0 in the middle of the 8th, got 4 in the bottom of the 8th, 2 in the bottom of the 9th, and Konerko hit a three run homer in the 10th to win 9-6.

Edited by UofIChiSox