"The" Griffey Rumor

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
Well, if we're getting Griffey you should say your farwells to Chris Young.

I still don't understand where he'll play. Will Griffey be fine with a DH roll his extended stay in Chicago?

we need griffey to have some sort of presence in the middle of this lineup.

he'll play DH yes, but also maybe be able to give pods/rowand/dye a day off when needed as well. Both him and everett will get plenty of ABs

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)

he'll play DH yes, but also maybe be able to give pods/rowand/dye a day off when needed as well.  Both him and everett will get plenty of ABs

With Pods most likely going on the DL tomorrow he could play LF for a while or rotate with Hot Carl.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 01:49 AM)
Well, if we're getting Griffey you should say your farwells to Chris Young.

I still don't understand where he'll play. Will Griffey be fine with a DH roll his extended stay in Chicago?

I'm think that if he was concerned about where he'd play, he wouldn't accept a trade here. Also, we wouldn't bring him here if we didn't have a plan on how'd we use him. My guess is that you can expect the bat to be in the lineup every day, while splitting time between CF and DH. If Scotty goes on the DL, you can definitely expect Junior to swap LF/CF duties with Aaron.

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)

he'll play DH yes, but also maybe be able to give pods/rowand/dye a day off when needed as well.  Both him and everett will get plenty of ABs

A lot depends on Scott.

I think they'd be better off letting him DH to save his legs and Griff could play LF, but no need to think that far ahead just yet.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
A lot depends on Scott.

I think they'd be better off letting him DH to save his legs and Griff could play LF, but no need to think that far ahead just yet.

well whatever the case is, griffey HAS a spot on this team, none of this "where's he gonna play" hawk keeps gabbing about.

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
Comcast's earlier sports show at 6:00 said to be sure to watch for Bruce talking about Griffey in the 10:00 show tonight.

I swear this better be some solid information.

If Bruce comes on and says he cleared waivers and the Sox are still trying to get him, which I think everyone knows by now, I'm going to be upset.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
Griffey Jr. would play CF, and Rowand would play LF.  Griffey Jr. has played CF his entire career, while Rowand has a lot more experience playing LF.

He's older and fragile....might be a better idea to have Rowand stay in CF.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:01 AM)
Griffey Jr. would play CF, and Rowand would play LF.  Griffey Jr. has played CF his entire career, while Rowand has a lot more experience playing LF.

Pretty sure thats the way it'll go...at least till Scotty gets back. Once he does, I can see Junior being used mostly as a DH and being used in LF or CF when Scotty or Aaron need a day off. I sure hope Junior would be cool with the DH'ing, cause that would be my preference. His injury history and the fact that he's 35 still scare me, and I'd like to keep him healthy at all costs.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:04 AM)

I agree with you....but that's not going to happen. I think KW and Ozzie would have an easier time telling Rowand to go to LF than they would a guy who's viewed as a HOF at the CF position.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)

Jr. should DH, with carl returning to his rotation that he had before with thomas, where he can play DH once a week, left, right, to spell dye, griffey, pods, and aaron once a week. it keep everyone fresh giving everyone at least a day off.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
I agree with you....but that's not going to happen.  I think KW and Ozzie would have an easier time telling Rowand to go to LF than they would a guy who's viewed as a HOF at the CF position.

I think KW would sit down and tell Griffey that he would DH 90% of the time with us. I would much rather see Everett in LF, Rowand in CF, and Griffey at DH while Scotty's on the DL for those 2 weeks. We don't need to push for anything, and Griffey's bat would be one of the most important things that this team would need come October.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:09 AM)
I think KW would sit down and tell Griffey that he would DH 90% of the time with us.  I would much rather see Everett in LF, Rowand in CF, and Griffey at DH while Scotty's on the DL for those 2 weeks.  We don't need to push for anything, and Griffey's bat would be one of the most important things that this team would need come October.

Everett in the field over Griffey Jr.? Are you nuts?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:01 AM)

That would be a NO. Here's the zone rating of all major league CFs. Notice that Rowand is #2, and Griffey is dead last. Sure, Griffey could fill in for Pods while he's on the DL (if he goes), or spell Dye like Everett does, but he's a DH, plain and simple.

Jeremy Reed, Sea .950

Aaron Rowand, CWS .930

Grady Sizemore, Cle .923

Vernon Wells, Tor .919

David DeJesus, KC .917

Nook Logan, Det .907

Corey Patterson, ChC .903

Brady Clark, Mil .896

Torii Hunter, Min .891

Andruw Jones, Atl .890

Jim Edmonds, StL .889

Brad Wilkerson, Was .888

Carlos Beltran, NYM .880

Juan Pierre, Fla .872

Johnny Damon, Bos .872

Preston Wilson, Was/Col .867

Willy Taveras, Hou .854

Mark Kotsay, Oak .850

Steve Finley, LAA .845

Ken Griffey Jr., Cin .821

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
Everett in the field over Griffey Jr.?  Are you nuts?

For those 2 weeks while Scotty is on the DL? FOR SURE. Defensively Griffey is far superior. However, that upgrade in LF does not justify the injury risk that there would be for those 2 weeks. Griffey would be brought here SOLELY because of his bat. To put that in jepardy would be a mistake.