Harris in LF?

fathom

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
Where's Chris Singleton when you need him. Honestly though, what about Joe Borchard or Ross Gload, I know Gload wouldn't be steller in left field, but at least he would get some hits. I know Ozzie wants a leadoff man, but we're just gonna have to make do for 2 weeks.

Well if it was just a case of needing an OF i'm sure Gload would be brought back up or else they'd go with Anderson or Borchard. But they're lookingt at someone for the leadoff spot, leaving just Harris and Owens as possible minor league options.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
I too would much rather have Harris than Pablo or Timo leading off. Willie, with regular playing time, IMO, would produce much more than the other two. Willie had bright moments last year and even if he played like he did last year as a whole on average, that puts him above Timo in my book.

I agree. As much as i hate to see any of these guys leadoff, Willie is by far the best option in that spot. I just hope Pods isn't out for long, and if he is.. :o

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
He's never played in LF!

He's a very smart defensive player and is perfectly capable of playing the OF. Sure he'll get himself into a few jams, but his speed will bail him out on jumps. Its not like Timo or Pods are any good out there anyway.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 05:59 AM)
He's a very smart defensive player and is perfectly capable of playing the OF.  Sure he'll get himself into a few jams, but his speed will bail him out on jumps.  Its not like Timo or Pods are any good out there anyway.

From my point of view, Willie Harris has absolutely no baseball instincts. Considering he's a below average offensive contributor, there's no reason to put him in the outfield if he's below average in the field. You know how much I hate Timo, and it scares me to say that he's a better option at this point. I just hope Ozzie doesn't get so concerned about the leadoff spot.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 14, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
Don't you mean Timo And PABLO?

No, I never turn down an opportunity to bash Pods defense. He has made some highlight reel plays, but he gets about as bad a jump as any left fielder in baseball. Only one I can safely say is worse would be Garret Anderson who is total trash.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 01:14 AM)
No, I never turn down an opportunity to bash Pods defense.  He has made some highlight reel plays, but he gets about as bad a jump as any left fielder in baseball.  Only one I can safely say is worse would be Garret Anderson who is total trash.

First off Manny Ramierez is the worst outfielder I have ever seen and I saw Carlton Fist try and play LF. That being said, Willie Harris is not a replacement for All Star Scott Posednik. Pods' defense is not good, but Willie can't can't can't get himself on base. He can't bunt and he can't hit the ball out of the infield.

This topic is making me sick, does this actually sound like a team that could win the World series? Would the Redsox, Yankees,or Angels bring up a guy like Willie Harris to play out of position for two weeks? This is the best we have, or the best we can get? Now you know why others around the country don't take us seriously.

This topic is making me sick, does this actually sound like a team that could win the World series? Would the Redsox, Yankees,or Angels bring up a guy like Willie Harris to play out of position for two weeks? This is the best we have, or the best we can get? Now you know why others around the country don't take us seriously.

One of your better posts, can't believe I'm saying this.

Willie Harris in LF? This is ridiculous.

Don't know if this has been tossed up or not, Jermaine Dye's played a bit of LF in his major league career, I know it would suck defensively but you could have Dye or Everett in LF and RF, and call up Ross Gload to be the DH.

Of course due to the premium on defence for Ozzie it's likely not happen.

Look for me its simple, if you cannot find a player elsewhere than you go with a strength. Find a better outfielder in the minors, even if that outfielder is not a lead of hitter. Your lineup at the top will need to change until Pods comes back. If that means bringing up, Borcahrd or Anderson to play the outfield and having less speed at the top of the lineup then do that. Playing Harris out of position and batting his 200 average, with zero bunting ability tells me Ozzie is indeed out of his mind. This should not happen.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
One of your better posts, can't believe I'm saying this.

Willie Harris in LF?  This is ridiculous.

The problem is we have run through all of our other options.

Rowand and Dye will obviously be starting.

Everett is hurt and can't play LF right now, Pods is going on the DL and isn't going to play.

So now we are down to our 5th OFer.

Usually you would be looking at Ross Gload, but his shoulder hasn't been healed enough to the point where he can play LF everyday, or he would be up here.

So that brings us to our 6th OFer which would either be Timo or Ozuna. Timo can't lead off, and Ozuna has looked horrible in the OF, which makes us onto OFer #8, which brings us to Wee Willie Harris.

Granted Willie Harris isn't a great option, but when it gets to the point at looking at the 8th outfielder in a team's system, how many teams have something better?

Yeah it sucks to have Willie Harris in the OF, but to make it out like something is wrong with the team is a bit shortsighted. When you are down to your 8th option in the outfield, you aren't going to be smelling like roses.

Jer-ry Owens (clap) (clap) Jer-ry Owens!

Well, if you can't get someone who's major league ready from outside the system, then you go with the best guy from inside. Ozzie is insisting on a leadoff guy, so this is the best guy in the system who knows how to play OF.

In answer to Mike's post, yes, when you get down to your 8th guy it won't be pretty no doubt.

However, they have OF's in the system and actually two who have performed pretty well at the AAA and AA level, those being Anderson and Owens.

The only reason they might not want to bring these guys up is 40 man roster considerations. If that's the case then Borchard is your man. If Iguchi is hurt then hell yes get Harris up here. But Harris for LF? I don't get it.

I only read the last couple of pages but has it been brought up the possibility of an ongoing trade to Griffey yet? Could one of the reasons we are brining up Willie and not Anderson, etc. is that we are stsill trying to work out a trade for KGJR? If we brought up a m.l. player, we have to buy his minor league contract and put him on the active roster. To then use that player for a trade during this time period, said player would have to clear waivers which is highly unlikely. If we keep these guys down in the minors then we are still able to pull a trade off without having to pass these guys through waivers. Willie already has a contract with us so he wouldn't be part of a trade. I might have my reasoning wrong here but it may be a reason why we are settling on only bringing up Willie back to the team at this juncture. Thoughts?

Dont forget though, certain posters said that Willie was our CF of the future.  I have the quote in my sig.

OMG, that sig with the Harris quote is hilarious! Who posted THAT?

Talk about aiming low ... Willie Harris in CF, Burke, Andres Torres, Bryant Nelson, jeez, was that person aiming for a KC Royals finish???

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 06:48 AM)
First off Manny Ramierez is the worst outfielder I have ever seen and I saw Carlton Fist try and play LF. That being said, Willie Harris is not a replacement for All Star Scott Posednik. Pods' defense is not good, but Willie can't can't can't get himself on base. He can't bunt and he can't hit the ball out of the infield.

Mainly because he is not a ML caliber player. I want to look at him in my rear view mirror, not out in LF.