Griffey Rumor

Mr. Showtime

According to Neyer, wrt PTBNL:

1) Must be completed w/in 6 mos, 2) player can't be in same league as new team, 3) Teams can use cash instead of players if they can't agree

There's no mention of the 40 man roster. The best way to clear up 2) would be to look for a case where the PTBNL was an active ML player. That would tell us whether to interpret it as AL/NL or ML,ml, indep, Japan, etc.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
According to Neyer, wrt PTBNL:

1) Must be completed w/in 6 mos, 2) player can't be in same league as new team, 3) Teams can use cash instead of players if they can't agree

There's no mention of the 40 man roster.  The best way to clear up 2) would be to look for a case where the PTBNL was an active ML player.  That would tell us whether to interpret it as AL/NL or ML,ml, indep, Japan, etc.

The best way to clear it up is to see the actual rule.

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:wcFUW7Q...NL+trades&hl=en

The nice thing about this link is that the guy includes examples.

Search on PTBNL. The only restriction seems to be an AL ML can't go to another AL team & a NL ML can't go to another NL team.

Other than that the PTBNL can be a ml, ML, or even a DL player.

Oddly enough there have been two instances where both the original player & the PTBNL were the same player. A lot can happen w a 6 mo deadline ;)

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:wcFUW7Q...NL+trades&hl=en

The nice thing about this link is that the guy includes examples.

Search on PTBNL.  The only restriction seems to be an AL ML can't go to another AL team & a NL ML can't go to another NL team.

Other than that the PTBNL can be a ml, ML, or even a DL player.

Oddly enough there have been two instances where both the original player & the PTBNL were the same player.  A lot can happen w a 6 mo deadline ;)

I only saw one instance of 'PTBNL' in this link, and refered the same player for himself scenario. Still, not the definitive answer to our question.

I only saw one instance of 'PTBNL' in this link, and refered the same player for himself scenario.  Still, not the definitive answer to our question.

http://www.fantasysportsjunkies.com/index2...do_pdf=1&id=205

This doesn't prevent minor leaguer's from being PTBNLs but it does affect AL-AL, NL-NL trades.

That's pretty definitive that the same league restriction is AL-AL, NL-NL ;)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
Well Griffey just hit his 29th. He's now homered in 3 out of the last 4 games.

If this is only about money ......

GET THE f***ING DEAL DONE, NO MATTER HOW MUCH WE TAKE ON.

Its a deffered contract, this has Reinsdorf written all over it.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
If this is only about money ......

GET THE f***ING DEAL DONE, NO MATTER HOW MUCH WE TAKE ON.

Its a deffered contract, this has Reinsdorf written all over it.

Did you ever think that maybe...just maybe...Cincinnati ain't buyin' what we're sellin'? Just because you would offer everyone to them doesn't mean they want them. Even BMac. They probably want someone that's ready to step into a #1 role RIGHT NOW. BMac ain't that guy. They don't need any more OFs at this point. They don't need a 3B. Seems like they are fine with Lopez at SS. So what does that leave? Rogowski at 1B IF they can dump Casey and the Reds might not want him. Sorry dude, there are two sides to every story. And we don't even know one.

And one more thing...earlier this year, everyone is talking about how aggressive KW is and that he'll get a deal done. How do you know that he isn't? Let's just let this play out and see what happens.

Edited by TheDybber

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
Did you ever think that maybe...just maybe...Cincinnati ain't buyin' what we're sellin'?  Just because you would offer everyone to them doesn't mean they want them.  Even BMac.  They probably want someone that's ready to step into a #1 role RIGHT NOW.  BMac ain't that guy.  They don't need any more OFs at this point.  They don't need a 3B.  Seems like they are fine with Lopez at SS.  So what does that leave?  Rogowski at 1B IF they can dump Casey and the Reds might not want him.  Sorry dude, there are two sides to every story.  And we don't even know one.

And one more thing...earlier this year, everyone is talking about how aggressive KW is and that he'll get a deal done.  How do you know that he isn't?  Let's just let this play out and see what happens.

the only thing i would take issue with here is that the reds do need everything. people think they don't need ofs because they have pena, dunn, griffey and kearns, but after that their system is absolultely depleted of talent. young and rogowski would be better than anyone they currently have in their system and would immediately become two of their top prospects.

the second paragraph i agree with totally.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
Did you ever think that maybe...just maybe...Cincinnati ain't buyin' what we're sellin'?  Just because you would offer everyone to them doesn't mean they want them.  Even BMac.  They probably want someone that's ready to step into a #1 role RIGHT NOW.  BMac ain't that guy.  They don't need any more OFs at this point.  They don't need a 3B.  Seems like they are fine with Lopez at SS.  So what does that leave?  Rogowski at 1B IF they can dump Casey and the Reds might not want him.  Sorry dude, there are two sides to every story.  And we don't even know one.

And one more thing...earlier this year, everyone is talking about how aggressive KW is and that he'll get a deal done.  How do you know that he isn't?  Let's just let this play out and see what happens.

when it comes to position players, all the Reds need is a 2B. they're set for years to come everywhere except 2B. but their pitching is awful from top to bottom. I'm guessing they want 2 close-to-ready starters and maybe another pitcher for the bullpen.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
the only thing i would take issue with here is that the reds do need everything. people think they don't need ofs because they have pena, dunn, griffey and kearns, but after that their system is absolultely depleted of talent. young and rogowski would be better than anyone they currently have in their system and would immediately become two of their top prospects.

the second paragraph i agree with totally.

they don't need everything. they need a starting 2B, and they can stock up on bench players in the offseason, because Kearns, Dunn, and Pena are all young and should be productive for 5+ years. pretty much, their system is depleted because the big club needs the system now.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
If you take $23.5M off their hands for the next 3 yrs they can buy themselves a #1 starter.

LOL, you are cracking me up Juggs. You are clinging to whatever shred of truth and possibility this trade holds. I hope it goes through as much as you do.

These dog days of August sure are strange. Among the Reds headlines "Lindher calls Griffey Jr". It turns out he wanted to offer him tickets to a Tennis tournament his family sponsors or something like that. If it was just a call based on his Griffey Jr's wife's love of Tennis then why make it on the eve of the tournament? Why not last week when KGJ's family could prepare?

It turns out his wife is coming up to OH for the weekend so she's sure to enjoy the tickets. But I can't help but think that Lindher was really trying to feel Griffey Jr out.

The rumor's not going away. It's selling papers & ESPN. ESPN finds it more noteworthy to show a clip of Sox fans chanting "Griffey" than the game itself. It's selling MLB in general. Lindher probably can't watch TV, read the paper, or listen to the radio without hearing/reading Ken Griffey Jr's name. The fact that KGJ is the hottest player in MLB right now only fuels the interest.

The last time MLB's head was swirling in regards to a player like this was A-Rod. We all know what happened in that story. The Sox could pull 1/2 a million more fans than 2004 this year. If they can get past the first round they might be in store for 100% growth in season ticket holders. There is that much riding on the line this year.

Now maybe Lindher was just playing games with a Sox fans. Maybe the call was just about tennis & maybe the fact his family sponsors the event just slipped his mind a week ago. Regardless it still creates an opening for the WSox & KW needs to be relentless for the next 13 days to try & convince Lindher the Reds would be better with what the WSox have to offer.

It's not about KGJ being the savior for the White Sox. This team remains the best combination of pitching & defense in the league. It might not own the best record in MLB but when you combine the pitching & defensive stats it's the stingiest team in baseball. With KGJ it just becomes a more potent & dangerous team.

Pods-Iguchi-Griffey Jr : would be the best top of the order in MLB. Add that to the stingiest team in MLB & a championship is expected.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

Pods-Iguchi-Griffey Jr : would be the best top of the order in MLB.  Add that to the stingiest team in MLB & a championship is expected.

Yea, I can only think of how great the lineup would look if we got griffey:

PODS

IGUCHI

JR.

PAULIE

AJP

AROW

DYE

CREDE

URIBE

Thats solid with our staff and defense!

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 20, 2005 -> 12:07 AM)
If you take $23.5M off their hands for the next 3 yrs they can buy themselves a #1 starter.

Yep because that's exactly what they did last off-season with Eric Milton right?

The only #1 starter out there this off-season is A.J Burnett, and I don't think he'll be wanting to go to Cincinatti somehow.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
These dog days of August sure are strange.  Among the Reds headlines "Lindher calls Griffey Jr".  It turns out he wanted to offer him tickets to a Tennis tournament his family sponsors or something like that.  If it was just a call based on his Griffey Jr's wife's love of Tennis then why make it on the eve of the tournament?  Why not last week when KGJ's family could prepare?

It turns out his wife is coming up to OH for the weekend so she's sure to enjoy the tickets.  But I can't help but think that Lindher was really trying to feel Griffey Jr out. 

The rumor's not going away.  It's selling papers & ESPN.  ESPN finds it more noteworthy to show a clip of Sox fans chanting "Griffey" than the game itself.  It's selling MLB in general.  Lindher probably can't watch TV, read the paper, or listen to the radio without hearing/reading Ken Griffey Jr's name.  The fact that KGJ is the hottest player in MLB right now only fuels the interest. 

The last time MLB's head was swirling in regards to a player like this was A-Rod.  We all know what happened in that story.  The Sox could pull 1/2 a million more fans than 2004 this year.  If they can get past the first round they might be in store for 100% growth in season ticket holders.  There is that much riding on the line this year.

Now maybe Lindher was just playing games with a Sox fans.  Maybe the call was just about tennis & maybe the fact his family sponsors the event just slipped his mind a week ago.  Regardless it still creates an opening for the WSox & KW needs to be relentless for the next 13 days to try & convince Lindher the Reds would be better with what the WSox have to offer.

It's not about KGJ being the savior for the White Sox.  This team remains the best combination of pitching & defense in the league.  It might not own the best record in MLB but when you combine the pitching & defensive stats it's the stingiest team in baseball.  With KGJ it just becomes a more potent & dangerous team. 

Pods-Iguchi-Griffey Jr : would be the best top of the order in MLB.  Add that to the stingiest team in MLB & a championship is expected.

you need help bad

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/cont...9redsnotes.html

Ken Griffey Jr.'s cell phone rang Wednesday and when he looked at caller ID he shuddered, took a deep breath, and answered. "I just knew it was Carl Lindner," he said, referring to the Cincinnati Reds' chief executive officer. A female voice said, "Hold for Mr. Lindner." Griffey figured this was it, the call asking him if he would accept a trade. "For three seconds, I thought, 'This is it,'" Griffey said. "This is the call." After making small talk for a few minutes, Lindner got to the point."You know the tennis tournament is in town, and I know your wife (Melissa) is into tennis and wondered if you wanted tickets." That was it? Asked if the 'T' word came up, whether he asked Lindner about the truth or fiction that Griffey was traded to the Chicago White Sox before Lindner stopped the deal, as reported, Griffey said, "No, never came up. And I didn't ask. And Carl never mentioned a thing." So both men ignored the huge hippopotamus standing in the room. "I don't think it happened," Griffey said, referring to the trade.

Looks like the potential trade is still on Griffeys mind a little bit.