Hurricane Katrina

Heads22

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, thx Heads.

I don't know why it's taken everyone so long to realize the magnitude of this sutation. Four days ago, I said N.O. was done.

Oh, by the way, the Holiday weekend is here. I'm sure everyone is just gonna jump up and give up a 3 day weekend to help these people.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Reddy @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
not true man, it just seems to me that you've been trying to downplay the seriousness of whats going on down there.  and you have been - saying that killing etc happens anyway.  i'm pretty sure ANARCHY doesnt happen on a regular basis is NO

In what post? I've been pointing out that while the negative gets the headlines, we should also know that thousands of volunteers, like yourself, are working around the clock to help people. That humans are for the most part, generous and peaceful, and come together in a tragedy. If you wish to think that the looters are the norm, go for it. But out of the 500,000+ effective, do you believe there are 100,000 muggers, snipers, and rapists? 250,000?

And yes, I did mention these crimes will happen tonight in Chicago. Trying to show a little context. These are in many cases the same criminals that would have been committing violent crimes without a hurricane. To believe that the hurricane, and the aftermath, turned law abiding persons suddenly into rapists and murderers is wrong. It did turn law abiding persons into petty thieves if you believe taking water and food off store shelves to survive is stealing.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
Reddy and Tex - deep breaths.  We are all on the same side here.

I'm cool. I believe most people here know I am a kind and sensitive person who does not downplay human tragedy. I'm not going to trot out my volunteer resume as some sort of badge of honor but my conscious is clear.

But thanks for the advice.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:24 PM)
In what post? I've been pointing out that while the negative gets the headlines, we should also know that thousands of volunteers, like yourself, are working around the clock to help people. That humans are for the most part, generous and peaceful, and come together in a tragedy. If you wish to think that the looters are the norm, go for it. But out of the 500,000+ effective, do you believe there are 100,000 muggers, snipers, and rapists? 250,000?

And yes, I did mention these crimes will happen tonight in Chicago. Trying to show a little context. These are in many cases the same criminals that would have been committing violent crimes without a hurricane. To believe that the hurricane, and the aftermath, turned law abiding persons suddenly into rapists and murderers is wrong. It did turn law abiding persons into petty thieves if you believe taking water and food off store shelves to survive is stealing.

now the crazy thing about this argument we're having is that i agree 100% with everything you said in this post. i've just been royally pissed off by what i've been seeing and hearing. i'm glad you can manage to stay optimistic in times like these cuz it's not something i'm great at. People do come together in a tragedy and i'm sure there are people down there working their asses off - harder than they've ever worked in their lives - to help. i just cant believe the inept-ness of our government to do anything to really help out. so hopefully we're both on the same page and we can stop this stupid argument when obviously there are more important things going on.

The next sad part of this will be the people who will try to use this tragedy for political gain.

The minute the military starts shooting the armed gangs and looters you will hear an outcry from some members of the press/society talking about: "Do you really have to shoot them? Doesnt the goverment have non lethal technology? I guess due process suspends in the US when its the poor, etc.

I hope they eliminate every single thug and moron who is out there using this as a platform to hurt innocent people. This reminds me of the images of BlackHawk down, as Mogudishu decended into chaos. The military has to get security back in New Orleans not only for this sake and for the sake of these people, but for future disasters. If the law of man doesnt suffice in this tragedy, what happens in the next disaster man made or other. The men and women who are on the ground risking their lives right now are heros in that town. Now its up to the US to give aid to this town and get it back up on its feet and save as many as possible.

On a small scale, how you survive a disaster or life threatening situation, is your attitude. I believe that is magnified on this scale. A very big part of what President Bush can do today is ease fears. He can assure the victims that are fearing physical violence that he is taking action and that criminals will be dealt with. He can boost the moral of the workers and volunteers that are working around the clock in filth and death. He can look the directors and the government people in the eye and say, Do it!

In this case he is a cheerleader and damn important one. People who are not fearful, who are confident, or at the minimum hopeful, will make it through a lot better than the others.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)
On a small scale, how you survive a disaster or life threatening situation, is your attitude. I believe that is magnified on this scale. A very big part of what President Bush can do today is ease fears. He can assure the victims that are fearing physical violence that he is taking action and that criminals will be dealt with. He can boost the moral of the workers and volunteers that are working around the clock in filth and death. He can look the directors and the government people in the eye and say, Do it!

In this case he is a cheerleader and damn important one.

in my book it's four days too late

Just got off the phone with my friend in Houston. She is 2 blocks from Reliant and says things are very organized and under control there. On one side of the stadium are all the emergency vehicles and ambulances and on the other side of the stadium are all the volunteers and donated food and water and supplies.

Sounds like once they get to Tex., they're ok.