Hurricane Katrina

Heads22

QUOTE(mreye @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:19 AM)
Actually, I heard a list of about 40+ nations that have offered help and aid this morning on Fox. That list included France, Russia and China.

I posted the list earlier in this thread. As well as GDub's comments that "we can handle this"...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the blog I am reading...

10:01a The City is ON FIRE

Teams Alpha and Bravo finished the medium range recon and there are 3 separate locations on fire. We have pictures coming shortly.

During the recon, I spoke to some Federal Marshalls and NOPD. Morale is LOW. Very low. They're not seeing the military presence they say they were promised. I told those guys they can't possibly imagine how much we (the world) appreciate their dedication. I asked what civil rights the citizens have and the US Marshalls looked at me like I just fell off the turnip truck and chuckled. I asked if citizens can have guns for protection and he said if someone thinks he needs a gun, he should have already evacuated. He also said they are setting the city on fire.

The NOPD wants to know where "the two active duty brigades" were that he says they were told were supposed to arrive today. When I asked him what he would want to tell the world, he said Everyone keeps talking about the military presence in the city, and then asked me," Do you see any military around here" in dusgust.

We reconned our roof also, to get a better view of the city and took... I hesitate to call them "amazing" pictures. My city... it has been punched in the face and is on the canvas being counted out.

And yes, that's smoke you see out of the windows. The city is under a haze from the fires. Smoke and ash are floating miles away from the fires.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
That's probably because most countries think the United States can handle something like this, considering they're the world's biggest country, and have a big enough economy to handle a disaster like this, compared to the Asian Tsunami where countries like Sri Lanka and Indonesia don't.

Not saying it's right, but that's probably the perception. I know from down here our government has pledged to help with aid and that, but nothing has been done for certain as of yet. We've still got diplomats trying to get as close to New Orleans as possible to find out info about Aussies that may be missing there etc, but they're not letting any foreign officials anywhere near there.

Australia has been one of the US's best allies and one of my favorite countries to visit. I am going to Adelaide sometime in January(looking forward to seeing some of the southern coast.) Been to Sydney about 5 times. :headbang :aussie:

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 3, 2005 -> 01:23 AM)
Australia has been one of the US's best allies and one of my favorite countries to visit.  I am going to Adelaide sometime in January(looking forward to seeing some of the southern coast.)  Been to Sydney about 5 times. :headbang  :aussie:

Hope you have fun down here Irish, best time to come down in January, you'll get 90+ temp's every day, even on the south coast. Adelaide is a pretty nice place, an old city kind of like Chicago, but a nice one. Make sure you head down to the beach though, that's prob the best place to go.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
A shortage of money is NOT the problem. Being unorganzied, having no plan in place, passing the buck, and flat out not giving a s*** is the problem.

I just don't understand how the state government of LA and the federal government can be so unorganized.

Wasn't there an emergency plan for if one of the levees broke? :huh:

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
I just don't understand how the state government of LA and the federal government can be so unorganized. 

Have you seen their Gov. on tv these past few days? She's clueless.

Apparently no plan was in place. Not only that, but for years and years experts have been asking to have the levees rebuilt and nothing got done.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)

A good preview of this was 9/11 in NYC. Remember the disorganization, and the problems with bad communtications between agencies and local, state, and federal governments? Now take into account this is a much larger area, involving many more people, in much more dire conditions, and you have a recipe for disaster.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
Have you seen their Gov. on tv these past few days?  She's clueless.

Apparently no plan was in place. Not only that, but for years and years experts have been asking to have the levees rebuilt and nothing got done.

well beloved dubya aint doing much to help either now is he. god damn what a horrible situation. i love our country...

Have you seen their Gov. on tv these past few days?  She's clueless.

That's not entirely correct.. work was being done on them as late as '02 until the federal g'ment took away all funding. Apparently independent contractors were working on them for free but had to stop once their private $$ ran out. IIRC wino posted the linke earlier in this thread.

Not only that, but for years and years experts have been asking to have the levees rebuilt and nothing got done.

I was just talking about that with a coworker (and Brian and I talked about this when it happened).

With the age of those levees there should have been a plan in place if there should have been a breech. How in creation could there NOT be a plan for this? :banghead

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
I was just talking about that with a coworker (and Brian and I talked about this when it happened).

With the age of those levees there should have been a plan in place if there should have been a breech.  How in creation could there NOT be a plan for this? :banghead

It's not a good answer.. but how do you plan for the unknown...?

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:26 AM)
It's not a good answer.. but how do you plan for the unknown...?

With the age of those levees, there was a strong chance of failure, they had to be prepared. Considering what is going on, they didn't even think about this potential disaster once.

i love this, why isnt our national guard there? cuz its in f***ing iraq!

there were 2 snipers that kept a local hospital from evacuating. 2 f***ing snipers - one detachment of national guard could deal with that s*** but no. i'm just pissed as hell at the moment. this is WORSE than 9/11 and since it doesnt have to do with a middle eastern country bush doesnt give a damn. what a f***ing asshole.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 2, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
But they have known that if they got hit head-on with a bad hurricane that they would be in SERIOUS trouble.

Apparently they knew anything stronger than a 3 would do serious damage.

I'm sorry.. I don't have any more answers than anyone else, just tossing stuff out there. I can't imagine they sat around and said "hey.. we know they aint gonna hold, but oh well..." The bottom line is that NO and the levies were not a priority for the boys in Washington. It's useless to point fingers at this point.. but if they need to be pointed, they should be pointed in the right direction.

There are literally tens of thousands of situations like "what if the NO levee is breeched or gets a direct hit." and we do not have the resources to address them all. There are "overall" responses that are drilled and practiced. Like a hurricane hit, but not specific to anyone town or region.

And while we are seeing images of a few looters and criminals, there are literally hundreds of volunteers for each idiot. There are thousands of people helping each other not hurting each other. The human spirit always comes through. As I have combed through some news stories and blogs you read about people sharing, offering aid, protecting each other.