Well...

kapkomet

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said he expects Silva to be checked again by team doctors, possibly an outside doctor, and then have the knee surgery scheduled, without waiting for the end of the season. "We're not going to mess with it," he said. "He's pitched enough."

Gardenhire said he has already discussed with other team officials the likelihood of putting super prospect Francisco Liriano in Silva's rotation spot — possibly inserting him in Johan Santana's slot Wednesday and backing up Santana to Friday to allow his sore finger extra time to heal.

We face Liriano or Santana on Friday. OH f***ING JOY!!!!!!!!

Either a guy who just owns us or a new rookie that hits 97 from the left side.

Liriano will be the next Santana. His delivery even reminds me of Santana's. I watched him pitch against Texas last week and his offspeed pitches, while not located well, were still nearly 12 mph off his fastball.

Even if he doesn't become their next ace, he'll only be another outstanding pitcher out of their bullpen throwing above 94 with a plus offspeed pitch. Every year their minor league is producing hard throwing pitching talent. Although Liriano was acquired from the Giants, he's hardly the exception to their drafting techniques.

I've always believed in the first few rounds our organization should concentrate on drafting pitchers with good velocity. You can't teach that. With velocity as a starting base you can always develop a changeup, curveball, slider, etc. It's your middle rounds where you often find a Mark Buehlre, Erik Bedard, Brandon McCarthy. Even then, it's pure luck. Might as well have picked Buehlre or McCarthy's name out of a hat.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Roy Oswalt was taken in the 23rd round by the Astros back in '96, probably one of the best examples of great scouting and using those late picks to your advantage. Some teams will just take a chance on a STUFF guy in the later rounds who noone really projects to be a major league caliber pitcher. A few of those guys make it and become great players.

Edited by Kalapse

Even then, it's pure luck. Might as well have picked Buehlre or McCarthy's name out of a hat.

I wouldn't call either of them luck. That was solid Draft and follow technique right there... they got top round talent and mid-round prices. -- Between the two of them they had something like 1 loss in JuCo.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
Roy Oswalt was taken in the 23rd round by the Astros back in '96, probably one of the best examples of great scouting and using those late picks to your advantage. Some teams will just take a chance on a STUFF guy in the later rounds who noone really projects to be a major league caliber pitcher. A few of those guys make it and become great players.

I'd like to add I don't believe the Sox should draft velocity alone and ignore success earned at high school/college level. I hope in future drafts, if we're choosing between two pitchers with comparable success for their respective teams, our scouts would prefer the pitcher with quality "stuff."

However, I understand how it's just as easy to suggest our team should draft the best talent (good velocity or not) and take its chance in later rounds with someone who throws hard and possesses a quality arm.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Liriano will be the next Santana. His delivery even reminds me of Santana's. I watched him pitch against Texas last week and his offspeed pitches, while not located well, were still nearly 12 mph off his fastball.

Even if he doesn't become their next ace, he'll only be another outstanding pitcher out of their bullpen throwing above 94 with a plus offspeed pitch. Every year their minor league is producing hard throwing pitching talent. Although Liriano was acquired from the Giants, he's hardly the exception to their drafting techniques.

I've always believed in the first few rounds our organization should concentrate on drafting pitchers with good velocity. You can't teach that. With velocity as a starting base you can always develop a changeup, curveball, slider, etc. It's your middle rounds where you often find a Mark Buehlre, Erik Bedard, Brandon McCarthy. Even then, it's pure luck. Might as well have picked Buehlre or McCarthy's name out of a hat.

We have drafted all kinds of "stuff" guys for years. They just have never really worked out for us. I am sure the minor league gurus can fill you in with names, but it seems to me that more than a few guys with 98 mph fastballs and nothing else have been drafted and never amounted to anything.

We have drafted all kinds of "stuff" guys for years.  They just have never really worked out for us.  I am sure the minor league gurus can fill you in with names, but it seems to me that more than a few guys with 98 mph fastballs and nothing else have been drafted and never amounted to anything.

This is very true. A lot of times when a team drafts a player strickly on his "stuff" they don't turn out to be much. It's when you draft one of those guys in the later rounds and strike paydirt that is so much in the minority. But when you do get one of those guys in the 20 something round and they turn out to be an ace that makes your organization look oh so great.

We play so poorly against pitchers that have a good changeup, its not even funny. Even that guy from the Royals who beat us, had a nothing fastball. BUt all he did was drop changeup after changeup on our hitters, making them look stupid. They seem to always be caught in between with no real approach to the at bat. You have to key in on either the heat of the change, and foul off the other pitch. Thats the only way to wint he at bat.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
We play so poorly against pitchers that have a good changeup, its not even funny.  Even that guy from the Royals who beat us, had a nothing fastball.  BUt all he did was drop changeup after changeup on our hitters, making them look stupid.  They seem to always be caught in between with no real approach to the at bat.  You have to key in on either the heat of the change, and foul off the other pitch.  Thats the only way to wint he at bat.

Why not try to hit the fastball to right field. If you catch the change you will pull it. If you get in betweeen you wind up pulling the change foul usually at home run distance or you K silly on the fastball.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
Usually I'm pretty positive about this season, but this weekend told me that we don't belong.  We just don't.

I don't know where our guts, and clawing, and swagger went, but I didn't see it all weekend.

Barring a serious attitude adjustment, I don't see us getting very far now.

This is definitely reminding me of 2000 all over again.

^ Sums it up to me. They just completely lost focus but I'm trying to stay optomistic here...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)

This is very true. A lot of times when a team drafts a player strickly on his "stuff" they don't turn out to be much. It's when you draft one of those guys in the later rounds and strike paydirt that is so much in the minority. But when you do get one of those guys in the 20 something round and they turn out to be an ace that makes your organization look oh so great.

Mark Buehrle...38th round.

Brandon McCarthy...17th round.