Official NFL General Discussion Thread

Balta1701

So my NFL thought of the day, ranking the teams in the NFC so far;

Philly - Still #1, McNabb will get it going, once he's healthy.

Atlanta - Great defense, Vick and Dunn look good, question about WR's still.

Now this is where it gets iffy. The following teams could be ranked in any order;

Dallas - Bledsoe looked good, as did receivers, defense looked promising at some points.

Carolina - Losing Kris Jenkins is HUGE, but they're too good not to be bogged down from 1 injury.

Seattle - Losing to Jacksonville in Jacksonville tough week 1 assignment. Still have a lot of Q's for mine, such as the receiving corp, and is their defense top 10 or not?

St. Louis - Yep losing to San Fran. ain't good, but they're still a top 5 offense, as always it's the defense.

New York Giants - Demolished Arizona in week 1, defense looks good, will depend on how quickly Eli can turn into a good QB.

New Orleans - Great 1st week win, with Deuce and Joe Horn a good offense, excellent D-Line, usually comes down to the LB's and secondary.

Tampa Bay - Griese still looks fairly good, and Williams is a big upgrade at RB. If they can get the defense back to where it was, they're gonna be pretty good again.

Minnesota - Not a good start, but their offense is too good even without Moss and they've made a lot of upgrades on the D as well. They'll be back.

Detroit - Good start against Green Bay, is the offense too conservative though, and is their defense good enough?

Then you've probably got this group;

Green Bay - Losing Walker not good. Defense maybe worse in NFL. Not good. Still have Favre and Green though.

Chicago - Great defense. Terrible offense.

Washington - Same as Chicago except they have Clinton Portis.

Arizona - Were the sleeper pick for a lot of people. Arrington hasn't looked good at all though, and the defense was terrible in NY. Will need to improve on that side of the ball especially, stat.

And then the last group;

San Francisco - They'll be better than last year, and week 1 showed that, but they still need major upgrades on both sides of the ball.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
Seattle - Losing to Jacksonville in Jacksonville tough week 1 assignment. Still have a lot of Q's for mine, such as the receiving corp, and is their defense top 10 or not?

Actually, I had Seattle in my list of terrible defensive teams going into the season due to their unbelievable lack of depth in the Front 7.

DE: HOLE

DT: HOLE

DT: Marcus Tubbs (Solid)

DE: Grant Wistrom (Solid)

OLB: Jamie Sharper (Solid)

MLB: HOLE

OLB: HOLE

CB: Marcus Trufant (All-Pro Caliber)

FS: Ken Hamlin (Solid)

SS: Michael Boulware (Solid)

CB: Andre Dyson (Solid)

The teams that I had in the 26-32 range:

New Orleans

Oakland

Indianapolis

Detroit

Green Bay

San Francisco

Seattle

Seattle's secondary would probably make them the best of the worst. New Orleans has those vicious all-pro caliber DEs and a good secondary, but they have the worst up-the-gut defense in the entire NFL as far as I can tell:

MLB: HOLE

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
New York Giants - Demolished Arizona in week 1, defense looks good, will depend on how quickly Eli can turn into a good QB.

I watched the vast majority of this game, mostly due to the fact that I love watching Kurt Warner get sacked for losses of 10+ yards. I'll just go ahead and upgrade Gibril Wilson to all-pro caliber right now. Pierce is just about there as well.

If Manning is adequate, I'll remove the Giants from my list of suckers:

Houston

Tennessee

Cleveland

Miami

Oakland

Green Bay

Detroit

New Orleans

NY Giants

San Francisco

If Manning is good, they could very well be playoff-caliber. No other team has that type of upside on this list IMO.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 02:51 AM)
Doesn't look good for Denver and that defense this season. Might be time for Mike Shanahan to finally head elsewhere.

If that D-Line gels later rather than sooner, then yeah, they could have some serious issues.

But with that insane LB core, a CB that could shut down a teams's best receiver, the potential of the D-Line, and their first three 05 picks used on DBs, this is a defense that just oozes of potential:

DE: Trevor Pryce (Solid), Ebenezer Ekuban (Solid)

DT: Gerard Warren ?

DT: Monsanto Pope (Solid)

DE: Courtney Brown (Solid)

OLB: DJ Williams (All-Pro Caliber)

MLB: Al Wilson (All-Pro Caliber)

OLB: Ian Gold (Solid)

CB: Champ Bailey (All-Pro Caliber)

CB: HOLE

SS: HOLE

FS: John Lynch (Solid)

The road schedule from here on out:

Oct 2 at Jacksonville

Oct 23 at NY Giants

Nov 13 at Oakland

Nov 24 at Dallas

Dec 4 at Kansas City

Dec 17 at Buffalo

Dec 31 at San Diego

Plus home games vs. Philadelphia, New England, Baltimore, NY Jets, and of course, the offensive powerhouses within their own division.

I'm much more worried about their offense, actually. Miami is healthy on defense right now, though. But I suspect that the Dolphins will start to get murdered once Bowens and Chester go down. They're just too f***ing old overall. And I know I said this last year for comedic effect, but it's true...they have perhaps the worst offensive line in the history of the NFL (taking expansion into account). They are absolutely dreadful. Horrendous.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
So my NFL thought of the day, ranking the teams in the NFC so far;

Philly - Still #1, McNabb will get it going, once he's healthy.

Atlanta - Great defense, Vick and Dunn look good, question about WR's still.

Now this is where it gets iffy. The following teams could be ranked in any order;

Dallas - Bledsoe looked good, as did receivers, defense looked promising at some points.

Carolina - Losing Kris Jenkins is HUGE, but they're too good not to be bogged down from 1 injury.

St. Louis - Yep losing to San Fran. ain't good, but they're still a top 5 offense, as always it's the defense.

New Orleans - Great 1st week win, with Deuce and Joe Horn a good offense, excellent D-Line, usually comes down to the LB's and secondary.

Tampa Bay - Griese still looks fairly good, and Williams is a big upgrade at RB. If they can get the defense back to where it was, they're gonna be pretty good again.

Minnesota - Not a good start, but their offense is too good even without Moss and they've made a lot of upgrades on the D as well. They'll be back.

Detroit - Good start against Green Bay, is the offense too conservative though, and is their defense good enough?

Then you've probably got this group;

Green Bay - Losing Walker not good. Defense maybe worse in NFL. Not good. Still have Favre and Green though.

Chicago - Great defense. Terrible offense.

Washington - Same as Chicago except they have Clinton Portis.

Arizona - Were the sleeper pick for a lot of people. Arrington hasn't looked good at all though, and the defense was terrible in NY. Will need to improve on that side of the ball especially, stat.

And then the last group;

San Francisco - They'll be better than last year, and week 1 showed that, but they still need major upgrades on both sides of the ball.

These rankings are probably the worst I have ever seen. Honestly, how can you even live with yourself? But seriously, they are way wrong. How Philly is #1 with a whining TO, hurt QB, and a week 1 loss, I dont know. Definitely not a #1 after Week 1. Atlanta is deserved of #2. I agree there. And I know you said that the rest could be in any order but Dallas 3rd? Talk about a bias! Ya homer! :lol: Carolina falls off a lot because 1) They lost and 2) they lost....Jenkins and Smith got roughed up big too. Seattle that high as well? New Orleans should be 3rd IMO. Their defense is still iffy but their showing was huge. They got a win and an entire country on their side. Detroit should be higher...they dominated the Slackers. Giants and Tb should be higher, Burress was big for NY and Smith for TB. Minnesota with a loss over Detroit with a win? Hmm. San Fran last? They are the only NFC West team with a win! Arizona is an upset to me because I really thought they would be good but they got shanked and gave up 42. Another one that mystifies me....Bears OVER Redskins.....who just beat the Bears. Green Bay is probably last to me. My rankings (based on Week 1 performance):

NY Giants

Atlanta

San Francisco

Dallas

New Orleans

Detroit

Tampa Bay

Philadelphia

Seattle

Washington

Carolina

St. Louis

Arizona

Minnesota

Chicago

Green Bay

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
These rankings are probably the worst I have ever seen. Honestly, how can you even live with yourself? But seriously, they are way wrong. How Philly is #1 with a whining TO, hurt QB, and a week 1 loss, I dont know. Definitely not a #1 after Week 1. Atlanta is deserved of #2. I agree there. And I know you said that the rest could be in any order but Dallas 3rd? Talk about a bias! Ya homer! :lol: Carolina falls off a lot because 1) They lost and 2) they lost....Jenkins and Smith got roughed up big too. Seattle that high as well? New Orleans should be 3rd IMO. Their defense is still iffy but their showing was huge. They got a win and an entire country on their side. Detroit should be higher...they dominated the Slackers. Giants and Tb should be higher, Burress was big for NY and Smith for TB. Minnesota with a loss over Detroit with a win? Hmm. San Fran last? They are the only NFC West team with a win! Arizona is an upset to me because I really thought they would be good but they got shanked and gave up 42. Another one that mystifies me....Bears OVER Redskins.....who just beat the Bears. Green Bay is probably last to me. My rankings (based on Week 1 performance):

NY Giants

Atlanta

San Francisco

Dallas

New Orleans

Detroit

Tampa Bay

Philadelphia

Seattle

Washington

Carolina

St. Louis

Arizona

Minnesota

Chicago

Green Bay

I'm looking at teams OVERALL, not how good they are after 1 week. How you can have San Francisco 3rd after they won at home in front of Dallas who beat a playoff team away, baffles me anyway.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 05:08 PM)
NY Giants

Atlanta

San Francisco

Dallas

New Orleans

Detroit

Tampa Bay

Philadelphia

Seattle

Washington

Carolina

St. Louis

Arizona

Minnesota

Chicago

Green Bay

These are quite possibly the worst power rankings I have ever seen in my life.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
Clinton Portis vs. Dallas.

Cadillac Williams vs. Buffalo.

Any suggestions w/r/t who to start?

I'd start Clinton Portis. Buffalo's defense should be outstanding against the run, especially with that LB core and big Sam Adams in the middle. The Cowboys defense oozes of potential, but they're still pretty raw.

Buffalo's defense absolutely shredded the Texans last week. If you thought the Bears offense looked bad, or hell any other offense in the league looked bad, you didn't see what the Bills did to the Texans. They gained something like 120 yards TOTAL.

Still, if they have a weakness (until injuries hit), it might be their run defense up the middle...they lost a pro-bowl Nose Tackle in Pat Williams to Free Agency. So if you have a truly great running back...they might be able to exploit that hole. Of course, Takeo Spikes might be sitting right behind it, but still it'd be a prayer.

There's no reason not to go with Portis unless you're a huge gambler.

Willie Parker 25 carries for 112 yards and a TD. 3 straight 100 yard games going back to last season's season finale against Buffalo.

Duce Staley will likely be healthy next week against the Patriots, will be interesting to see who gets the start and the majority of the carries. Can't imagine they would go away from Willie, he has a legitimate chance to rush for 1,500+ this year.

I really think that the Steelers are going to dominate the Patriots. The Pats didnt look 2 good against the Raiders even though they won and than Panthers just beat them pretty bad even though Delhomme gave them a gift TD.

I was shocked how well the Texans DL played against the Steelers OL in the 2nd half. They pretty much shut any holes down and forced alot of carries from Willie for 1-2 yards just slamming into the back of offensive linemen. That scares me considering how much better the Pat's DL is than the Texans.

It will be interesting to see how the Steelers will respond when someone actually punches them back in the mouth. It's been cruise control in both games at halftime and I don't see that happening next week.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
Brett Favre just became the 3rd quarterback in NFL history to pass for 50,000 yards, joining Marino and Elway.

Lucky for me that Cleveland scored, forcing Green Bay to pass the ball for the rest of the game. Favre came up HUGE for me in fantasy, when Peyton Manning really layed an egg.

BTW -- I haven't started Cadillac Williams ONCE this year. I feel like a moron... He looks awesome.