Official NFL General Discussion Thread

Balta1701

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
Soxfan1, you must have missed this part.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
These rankings are probably the worst I have ever seen. Honestly, how can you even live with yourself?  But seriously, they are way wrong. How Philly is #1 with a whining TO, hurt QB, and a week 1 loss, I dont know. Definitely not a #1 after Week 1. Atlanta is deserved of #2. I agree there. And I know you said that the rest could be in any order but Dallas 3rd? Talk about a bias! Ya homer! :lol: Carolina falls off a lot because 1) They lost and 2) they lost....Jenkins and Smith got roughed up big too. Seattle that high as well? New Orleans should be 3rd IMO. Their defense is still iffy but their showing was huge. They got a win and an entire country on their side. Detroit should be higher...they dominated the Slackers. Giants and Tb should be higher, Burress was big for NY and Smith for TB. Minnesota with a loss over Detroit with a win? Hmm. San Fran last? They are the only NFC West team with a win! Arizona is an upset to me because I really thought they would be good but they got shanked and gave up 42. Another one that mystifies me....Bears OVER Redskins.....who just beat the Bears. Green Bay is probably last to me. My rankings (based on Week 1 performance):

NY Giants

Atlanta

San Francisco

Dallas

New Orleans

Detroit

Tampa Bay

Philadelphia

Seattle

Washington

Carolina

St. Louis

Arizona

Minnesota

Chicago

Green Bay

Please read...

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 11:46 PM)
Please read...

Which would make your subsequent rant all the more confusing.

Like this line right here:

Minnesota with a loss over Detroit with a win? Hmm

If it had already been established that the teams weren't ranked in any particular order, then what's the point of typing this and damn near everything else as well?

So the Bears are alone atop the NFC North. How long will that last?

Great game by the Colts' defense today. 10-3 Colts over any team is something I never thought I'd see. The offense needs to find itself, but it appears the defense is in overdrive, which is a good thing.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
So the Bears are alone atop the NFC North. How long will that last?

Great game by the Colts' defense today. 10-3 Colts over any team is something I never thought I'd see. The offense needs to find itself, but it appears the defense is in overdrive, which is a good thing.

They're not alone, they're tied with the Lions 1-1 with the Bears holding the tie breaker in head-to-head matchups 1-0.

The NFC North is officially up for grabs with the Packers sucking immensely and the Vikes looking even worse. The Bears' destruction of the Lions today probably puts them as the favorites to win this s*** division even if it is only 2 weeks in.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
They're not alone, they're tied with the Lions 1-1 with the Bears holding the tie breaker in head-to-head matchups 1-0.

The NFC North is officially up for grabs with the Packers sucking immensely and the Vikes looking even worse. The Bears' destruction of the Lions today probably puts them as the favorites to win this s*** division even if it is only 2 weeks in.

Holding the tiebreaker puts the Bears in sole possession of 1st place. That's why it's called a tiebreaker, and why it's so important to have.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)

That division could be the worst in football this year.

Minny - People are talking about how much they are missing Randy Moss. But what about Scott Linehan? He ran that offense very well, and they just don't look the same. Should be a head coach in the next 2 years if he can get Miami's offense going.

Detroit - Well they just flat out SUCKED yesterday. Up the middle on D they got some good parts, on the edges though they need improvement as Hammer had alluded too. And Harrington with 5 picks, well when Kevin Jones only has 22 yards rushing, I guess things are going too well.

Green Bay - Defense, defense, defense. If Trent Dilfer can throw well against you in a home game, you know you're in trouble, whether or not you have Brett Favre and Ahman Green.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)

Minny - People are talking about how much they are missing Randy Moss. But what about Scott Linehan? He ran that offense very well, and they just don't look the same. Should be a head coach in the next 2 years if he can get Miami's offense going.

Detroit - Well they just flat out SUCKED yesterday. Up the middle on D they got some good parts, on the edges though they need improvement as Hammer had alluded too. And Harrington with 5 picks, well when Kevin Jones only has 22 yards rushing, I guess things are going too well.

Green Bay - Defense, defense, defense. If Trent Dilfer can throw well against you in a home game, you know you're in trouble, whether or not you have Brett Favre and Ahman Green.

Minny - don't forget losing Matt Birk in the middle of their O-line. You don't have Culpepper take that much of a step backwards unless he's getting extra pressure.

Green Bay - don't forget that they're also missing Favre's best receiver.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)

It's by far the worst division in the NFL. I don't see another division with two teams as lost as Green Bay and the Vikes or two teams as mediocre as Detroit and the Bears leading a division. 8-8 could win the NFC North for sure.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
I'd start Clinton Portis.  Buffalo's defense should be outstanding against the run, especially with that LB core and big Sam Adams in the middle.  The Cowboys defense oozes of potential, but they're still pretty raw.

CWS, I hope that you took my advice. :D

God damn, Tampa Bay found themselves a monster if these first two games are any indication.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Wow what a choke job by the Cowboys.  Worse call was on 4th down you throw a pass short of the 1st down marker I dont know what they were thinking.

Didn't see it myself since I'm at Uni, but it hasn't been a good day. I hope Parcells is chewing out their asses right now, especially who was covering Moss. But yes sounded like a stupid call, John Shoop like (you see there's some Bears knowledge for ya).

How about that Colts defense?

They are the #1 scoring defense in the NFL, allowing only 5 points per game while amassing 9 sacks (2nd in the NFL) and 4 turnovers (T-11th in the NFL) in the 2 games so far. Sure, they may not have played the most high powered offenses in the world, but you can only play who they put on your schedule, and the Colts have played those 2 teams very well, holding each to less points than they got when the teams played in 2004.

Speaking of the schedule, they have quite an easy stretch coming up. This team quite possibly could go into their next game against a tough opponent 7-0 and well rested.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 04:43 AM)
Didn't see it myself since I'm at Uni, but it hasn't been a good day. I hope Parcells is chewing out their asses right now, especially who was covering Moss. But yes sounded like a stupid call, John Shoop like (you see there's some Bears knowledge for ya).

For both Moss catches he had Roy Williams and Aaron Glenn on him. I know for the fact for the 2nd one both were and im pretty sure for the first one 2. Both times it was double coverage.

Even though the Redskins won, their offense got absolutely manhandled by the Cowboys defense. I wouldn't have expected such a devastating display of pass-rushing and run-stuffing prowess against a damn good Washington O-Line.

I can't complain, as I had money on the Redskins plus the points (+6). I figured that I was going to lose for certain until the Redskins finally exploited what appears to be the Cowboys weakness on D (deep coverage). Or maybe it was just a fluke, I dunno.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 01:58 AM)
Even though the Redskins won, their offense got absolutely manhandled by the Cowboys defense.  I wouldn't have expected such a devastating display of pass-rushing and run-stuffing prowess against a damn good Washington O-Line.

I can't complain, as I had money on the Redskins plus the points (+6).  I figured that I was going to lose for certain until the Redskins finally exploited what appears to be the Cowboys weakness on D (deep coverage).  Or maybe it was just a fluke, I dunno.

Aaron Gleen got burned apparently, the nickel corner. It was always going to be a close game, but I really liked the look of our D for the 1st 3 quarters. The pass rush looked very good, and DeMarcus Ware hasn't got going yet.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Aaron Gleen got burned apparently, the nickel corner. It was always going to be a close game, but I really liked the look of our D for the 1st 3 quarters. The pass rush looked very good, and DeMarcus Ware hasn't got going yet.

I switched over to the Letterman show when there were close to 4 minutes left in the game with the Cowboys leading 13-0. When I finally got back to the game at the 2 minute warning, the Redskins were up 14-13. :bang

After reviewing the replays, I couldn't believe my eyes. Brunell must have had a horseshoe planted waaay up his ass, as Roy Williams was within inches (seemingly) of deflecting the ball both times.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
I switched over to the Letterman show when there were close to 4 minutes left in the game with the Cowboys leading 13-0.  When I finally got back to the game at the 2 minute warning, the Redskins were up 14-13. :bang

After reviewing the replays, I couldn't believe my eyes.  Brunell must have had a horseshoe planted waaay up his ass, as Roy Williams was within inches (seemingly) of deflecting the ball both times.

Letterman?...wow, you missed a hell of a finish. I sort of agree on Brunell, those passes were perfectly placed, he hit Moss right in stride. however, even those these athletes have been going further and further, using steroids, making deals with the devil (Kurt Warner, Kenny Rogers' last two first halves), they haven't resorted to sticking horseshoes in their asses.

Roy Williams was a f***tard in that game. Everyone knows in those situations a safety can't get ballsy, they got to make sure the receiver doesn't get by him. On both plays the receiver not only beat the corner it beat Roy Williams who wasn't playing over the top of the receiver.

Brunell made great passes, but there is no excuse for the shoddy coverage job by Roy Williams (especially since it appeared like they were playing cover 2) and when your in cover 2 there is no way a receiver should get by you because your playing totally over the top of them.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 24, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
I still believe that Roy Williams will end up at OLB sooner or later. His coverage skills just plain stink, but he has the speed and hitting ability along with good enough size to dominate at OLB.

Yeah, they moved him to SS this season, he was the FS when Woody was the SS. As the 8th man in the box, he's the best run stopping safety in the league, I've got no doubts about that. When in coverage, the Boys go cover 2 which they do quite a lot of, he just ain't good. That's why it's so important they need Keith Davis the FS to step up, as they need one who's really good in coverage.