Official NFL General Discussion Thread

Balta1701

So as for coaches on the hot seat right now, Norv Turner would be right up there. Can't see them having any chance in Philly, and they'll be 0-3 after this week. With home games coming up against Dallas, San Diego and Buffalo, they need to win at least 2 of those. Don't think it will be happening though, tightening the noose around Norv's neck.

Looking at the Cardinals, man are they going to have an awesome passing attack for the next decade, depending on who's at QB. Fitzgerald has developed into a monster, and Boldin would easily be a #1 receiver on a 1/3 to half of teams in the NFL. Kurt Warner's done ok so far, racked up a lot of yards, hasn't done a good job in the red zone or protecting the football though. Kind of like Drew Bledsoe, they'll rack up yards, but protecting the footbal and red zone conversion is going to be ABSOLUTELY crucial, if those teams want to go above .500 this season.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its pretty clear that the Cardinals werent ready to make their run this year but everyone just overhyped them including myself. Although I do like Dennis Green and what he is doing to that team and they will make an impact in that division soon. JJ Arrington hasnt been what they were hoping for in a RB it seems though.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 07:38 AM)
I think its pretty clear that the Cardinals werent ready to make their run this year but everyone just overhyped them including myself.  Although I do like Dennis Green and what he is doing to that team and they will make an impact in that division soon.  JJ Arrington hasnt been what they were hoping for in a RB it seems though.

I agree with you about them being overhyped, and I overhype them (I continue to be stubborn and pick them each week to win), but Arrington has only run the ball 4 times, and has 22 yards, which is 5.5 yards per carry. If he actually got touches, we would see how good he is.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
I agree with you about them being overhyped, and I overhype them (I continue to be stubborn and pick them each week to win), but Arrington has only run the ball 4 times, and has 22 yards, which is 5.5 yards per carry.  If he actually got touches, we would see how good he is.

That's way too small of a sample size to get a read on someone. If Denny Green started Marcel Shipp over him, you know Arrington's not ready.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 07:52 AM)
That's way too small of a sample size to get a read on someone. If Denny Green started Marcel Shipp over him, you know Arrington's not ready.

If he actually got touches, we would see how good he is.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
If he actually got touches, we would see how good he is.

Yes, but when Denny Green would like Michael Bennett on a long - term deal, doesn't that also tell you something on the impression Arrington has made on him so far?

Commments from this morning thus far...

Ok, so Carolina beats the hell out of the defending champs last week, and they come out and spot Miami 21 points this week? It's 21-17, but man, that team has something missing in their heads if they can't pull themselves together after beating Miami.

Donovan McNabb is getting the s*** beaten out of him, although the Eagles are still winning. They're also doing everything without a real kicker.

Lotta missed extra points this week.

I haven't had the chance to watch a Colts game yet this year except for the Ravens game on ESPN where Manning didn't get going until the 2nd half.

Is something genuinely wrong with their offense? Are people not catching the ball, is Manning making mistakes, or something like that? They look like they've taken a huge step backwards offensively.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 02:56 PM)
I haven't had the chance to watch a Colts game yet this year except for the Ravens game on ESPN where Manning didn't get going until the 2nd half.

Is something genuinely wrong with their offense?  Are people not catching the ball, is Manning making mistakes, or something like that?  They look like they've taken a huge step backwards offensively.

They're just not converting many 3rd downs is all. Manning was fine today, and I'm not too worried about him killing people's fantasy books. He could have had 2 TDs today, but one was given to Edge to run in. The 2nd was where the Colts were 1st and Goal at the end of the 4th quarter, and just decided to run the clock down.

I'm not worried about the offense at all.

Ben was 12-28 with 3-4 of the catches being great snags by the receivers on horribly thrown balls. The Patriots outgained Pit 425 yards to 269. The Patriots were without Rodney Harrison most of the game also. The Patriots completely dominated the 2nd half and the score was only as close as it was because Brady threw a tipped interception inside the 10 yard line of the Steelers. Thats domination.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
Ben was 12-28 with 3-4 of the catches being great snags by the receivers on horribly thrown balls. The Patriots outgained Pit 425 yards to 269. The Patriots were without Rodney Harrison most of the game also. The Patriots completely dominated the 2nd half and the score was only as close as it was because Brady threw a tipped interception inside the 10 yard line of the Steelers. Thats domination.

Ok when your are losing the game for the first 3 quarters you are not dominating... it isnt that hard to understand. Also keep in mind they won on the final drive of the game so it isnt like they just destroyed them in the 4th quarter and it wasnt close.

You can dominate a game without actually leading the game. The Patriots D dominated the Steelers OL all game long, and if you take away the first play of the game, the Steelers racked up a whopping 176 yards. It wasn't just Ben that choked either, Antawn Randle-El had his worst game ever with dropped passes and a bad toss-back decision. Horrendous game all-around, amazing they still had a chance to win it late.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 12:57 AM)
The more you watch sports in your life, you will see its possible.

I watch baseball everyday I can even if its not the white sox and as many football games as possible. And you can say even if they were losing they were outplaying the steelers but when your losing you cant be dominating.... losing and dominating dont go with each other.

Thats not what I meant. I mean as you watch more and more sports as the years go by, you will see its possible. Being dominant doesn't always = wins or leading the game in points. I know you find it hard to believe, but it happens. Anyways, its over and I'm glad the Steelers won't face the Pat's again in the regular season. The Patriots figured out that if you spread out the Steelers, they won't blitz, and they don't have the corners to cover well.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)
Ben chokes again in a big game. That's very discouraging. The Patriots absolutely dominated the Steelers every way possible today, Steelers OL looked absolutely overmatched. Yikes.

I've read the argument you state and all I can ask is: Did you actually watch the game?

I've watched every Steelers game for the past 3 years. I've seen how Ben plays against the rest of the league, and how he plays in the big games. Today he choked, he had several chances to run the ball with wide open lanes for first downs, yet he continues to hold the ball too long and force bad throws. Same things that got him in trouble late last year. Then again you didn't know that did you?

I just realized you are probably a Bears fan, and in that case. Yes it was probably one of the best quarterbacked games you have seen in a while huh ;-)

No disrespect to the many Bears fans onboard. Just having a little fun. ;)

Edited by Palehosefan

So we dodged a HUGE bullet today, coming back from 12 down in the 4th to beat San Fran. The defense took a big step back from last week which was very dissappointing. Giving up 269YDS and 3TD's to Tim Rattay isn't acceptable at all. And giving 125 yards from 25 rushes ain't good at all either.

Julius Jones hasn't gotten it going yet, so that's still a positive sign, 26 rushes 85 yards, 3.3 per carry. that will improve. San Fran was always going to play 8 men in the box today anyway and blitz to try and make Bledsoe beat them. And he did. 363 YDS passing, very nice indeed, even with the 2 INT's.

But I'm hoping Parcells and Mike Zimmer are still giving it to the them, especially the defense. We can't play football like that, and expect to go higher than 8-8. Why we're giving up so many big plays, I don't know. Yeah Roy Williams ain't good in coverage, but Newman, Henry and Glenn are 3 quality starting CB's.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
I haven't seen too many Cowboy's games this year yet. Has Newman improved? He was toast far too many times last year for a guy with his size and speed. He should be a shut down corner in this league.

He has trouble keeping up with the faster WRs sometimes.

newmanasleep.jpg