Boston @ Chicago - ALDS Game 2

Heads22

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 01:28 AM)
I hear you there man. Did you go all the way back to SIU after the game? I'm back in Champaign, driving back up tomorrow.

Nah, unfortunately I can't have a car down there yet so I have to do all that by train and because of that I'm staying home until thursday night and I get back to Carbondale Friday morning at 1 and I have a 10 o'clock exam on friday(that should be fun). Where are your guys seats tomorrow??? Maybe I'll stop by.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Oct 4, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
This is the one game that scares me...a lot.

I am afraid Wells might just completely shut us down and Buehrle does what he usually does vs. Boston.

PROVE ME WRONG SOX :headbang

Hope they do. Wells is inconsistent, so he cant be trusted

Wells: :chair

Buehrle: :finger

:gosox3: :gosox4: :gosox2: :canada :usa

The key for today will be: MATCH THEIR INTENSITY.

Boston was not just beaten, but humiliated yesterday. Look for them to come at us like a bull with a rocket up it's ass. We have to match that intensity and hold our groung, especially in the 1st and 2nd innings.

Another possible factor is rain delays. They must stay UP for the game even if there are delays.

It's all mental from here on out boys, it's all mental.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 08:32 AM)
Which we can also use to there advantage. They are a smart baseball team, and have OBVIOUSLY been in the postion before, however, with the beating they took last night,they could be pressing a little more. Mark needs to take advantage of that.

That's one way to look at it.

Didn't the Yankees beat them like 19-0 in one of the 3 playoff losses last year?

This is far from over, the Red Sox will probably come back.

This will be the game to decide the series. If you look at Wells down the stretch he's given up mostly 3 runs over 7 innings. I would expect him to do at least that today. He's a gamer so he's capable of pitching a gem as well.

In general we have matched up well against LHers & when you consider the LHers in the ALC that's saying a LOT.

vs LHers: 1382AB, 202R, 55HR, 64D, 7T, 271A/782O

vs RHers: 4114AB, 536R, 145HR, 189D, 15T, 260A/736O

If Mark produces a QS today the White Sox should win. If he doesn't the series will be tied 1-1. Best to put the 14-2 game behind & get back to thinking of this series as a dog fight.

Ok so Wells faced us once this season, giving up 5R, 3ER with 0BB's and 5K's in 6.2IP.

But here is some good news, Wells away from Fenway this season, 5.56 ERA with a .327 BAA. Unfortunately he's much better in night games with a 3.86 ERA. He's had a 4.45 ERA since August though, so he hasn't been in great touch.

The key to hitting him, get runners on. He doesn't walk a lot of guys, but with runners on, he has a 8.54 ERA, with RISP a 10.76 ERA, and a 22.24 ERA with RISP with 2 outs. Looking at his pitch count, get on him early. For his 1st 45 pitches, he has an ERA of about 5.70. For the next 30 pitches however, that comes down to about 2.1.

Mark's just gotta keep the form from his last 2 games going into today's game. 10-2 at home with a 2.48 ERA is an excellent stat to look at. Looking at his starts against the Red Sox though, he has a 5/3 BB/K ratio in 2 games. Not good enough at all. Compared to a team like Cleveland where that stat is 29/6 for a K/BB ratio (2.45 ERA against them), my thoughts for Mark Buerhle having success tonight is simple. Strike out some hitters.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
This will be the game to decide the series.  If you look at Wells down the stretch he's given up mostly 3 runs over 7 innings.  I would expect him to do at least that today.  He's a gamer so he's capable of pitching a gem as well.

In general we have matched up well against LHers & when you consider the LHers in the ALC that's saying a LOT.

vs LHers: 1382AB, 202R, 55HR, 64D, 7T, 271A/782O

vs RHers: 4114AB, 536R, 145HR, 189D, 15T, 260A/736O

If Mark produces a QS today the White Sox should win.  If he doesn't the series will be tied 1-1.  Best to put the 14-2 game behind & get back to thinking of this series as a dog fight.

I disagree. Even if we lose this game I like our chances. I like our pitching match ups the rest of the way out. Our bullpen is also much stronger than theirs.

I disagree.  Even if we lose this game I like our chances.  I like our pitching match ups the rest of the way out.  Our bullpen is also much stronger than theirs.

I think you are completely dissing the momentum shift if they were to win today.

They have Wakefield vs Garcia in Boston & Schilling vs Garland in Boston. Their starters only need to pitch as good as 7IP/4R for Boston to have a chance to win the next 3. Our starters need to pitch as good as 7IP/3R.

On the flip side if we win today .. that kind of momentum behind Garcia & this club is very capable of producing a sweep against Wakefield.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Oct 5, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
I think you are completely dissing the momentum shift if they were to win today.

They have Wakefield vs Garcia in Boston & Schilling vs Garland in Boston.  Their starters only need to pitch as good as 7IP/4R for Boston to have a chance to win the next 3.  Our starters need to pitch as good as 7IP/3R. 

On the flip side if we win today .. that kind of momentum behind Garcia & this club is very capable of producing a sweep against Wakefield.

Not at all. I know the mo shifts back to the BoSox if they win. I just believe our pitching is good enough to overcome it.

Someone said in a thread earlier "it feels like Christmas!" I emphatically agree. The anticipation for victory feels very much like that of when you were a kid & dreaming of getting that present you coveted so much.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/mlb/red-sox/

As an adult the joy comes from reading out of both the winner's & loser's circles. Enjoi !

Aside: I'm collecting papers from all the cities the Sox play. Transplanted friends are helping out. For this series that includes Time, Herald, Southtown, Trib, Bos Herald, & Globe. At year's end they will be sealed in plastic & preserved as keepsakes. We did the same thing with the Bears & all of the Bulls championships. It's fun!

Edited by JUGGERNAUT