Colon Gone

Harry Chappas

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
What pisses me off is what I heard.  I was told (I didnt watch most of the game) that Santana put two people on during one of the innings, and then proceded to get out of it unscatched, and the announcers said something like "Thats just like what El Duque did for the White Sox the other night!".  Again, I didnt see it myself, but if its true, its bulls***.

Well.. umm.. it is what Duque did.. got out of it.. isn't it? :huh

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
What pisses me off is what I heard.  I was told (I didnt watch most of the game) that Santana put two people on during one of the innings, and then proceded to get out of it unscatched, and the announcers said something like "Thats just like what El Duque did for the White Sox the other night!".  Again, I didnt see it myself, but if its true, its bulls***.

That's exactly what they said, but they added Santana got into this mess himself whereas el duque had to clean up someone elses mess.

Still it was no where near what el duque did. 1st and 2nd with no outs and I believe a 3 run lead is a helluva lot different from bases juiced no outs 1 run lead. I mean a fly out and the game is tied in duques situation...hell even a well placed ground ball could have scored a run. Santana had some wiggle room.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
Well.. umm.. it is what Duque did.. got out of it.. isn't it?  :huh

No, El Duque was put in with the bases loaded and no outs in a 1 run game in Boston (a hitters park) against the best hitting team in baseball. He didnt have anything to do with the runners on base.

Santana put two runners on and had a 3 run cushion (might have been a 2 run lead) in Anaheim, a pitchers stadium.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
No, El Duque was put in with the bases loaded and no outs in a 1 run game in Boston (a hitters park) against the best hitting team in baseball.  He didnt have anything to do with the runners on base.

Santana put two runners on and had a 3 run cushion (might have been a 2 run lead) in Anaheim, a pitchers stadium.

Did he get out of it..? Yes.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
Still it was no where near what el duque did.  1st and 2nd with no outs and I believe a 3 run lead is a helluva lot different from bases juiced no outs 1 run lead.  I mean a fly out and the game is tied in duques situation...hell even a well placed ground ball could have scored a run.  Santana had some wiggle room.

The game was tied at the time Santana came in with a 3-2 count on Cano in the top of the 2nd.

He threw ball 4 to Cano, then Williams missed a sign and Cano got caught stealing (was a hit and run); Williams walked, Posada walked (now Santana has put THREE guys on), Crosby singled, scoring a run, then Jeter hit a sac fly. Then A-Rod, who sucks when a game is important, struck out swinging.

Those runs belonged to Santana; El Duque saved the Sox from Marte's runs.

After that, Santana was great, but hey, 3 runs in 5 1/3 was his entire performance. You can't say Freddy Garcia was great in Game 3 except when he pitched to Big Papi and Manny. As it turns out, those runs by Papi and Manny counted. :D

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
Did he get out of it..? Yes.

Were the situations even close enough to be mentioned in the same sentance? No. El Duque's job was a memory everyone will remember of these playoffs, Santana's... not so much.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
The game was tied at the time Santana came in with a 3-2 count on Cano in the top of the 2nd.

He threw ball 4 to Cano, then Williams missed a sign and Cano got caught stealing (was a hit and run); Williams walked, Posada walked (now Santana has put THREE guys on), Crosby singled, scoring a run, then Jeter hit a sac fly.  Then A-Rod, who sucks when a game is important, struck out swinging.

Those runs belonged to Santana; El Duque saved the Sox from Marte's runs.

After that, Santana was great, but hey, 3 runs in 5 1/3 was his entire performance.  You can't say Freddy Garcia was great in Game 3 except when he pitched to Big Papi and Manny.  As it turns out, those runs by Papi and Manny counted. :D

We are talking about a different situation. I believe Santana hit A-Rod and walked (or something) the next batter so it was first and second with no outs.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
Were the situations even close enough to be mentioned in the same sentance?  No. 

Did I say anything about the situations being the same? No. Did they clarify? Yes. Did they both get out of the mess? Yes.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
so now anytime someone gets out of a jam, should it be compared to what El Duque did?

We should be so lucky. The minute we are out, or the series is over it's back to... "The Chicago White Sox... who are they..?"

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
so now anytime someone gets out of a jam, should it be compared to what El Duque did?

The kid did a great job getting out of the jam, and you have to give him a lot of credit. El Duque was incredible getting out of his jam which was bigger, but less pressure. If Duque gets lit up and Boston wins the White Sox are still up 2-1 in the series. If Santana gives it up last night, the Angels go home.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
The kid did a great job getting out of the jam, and you have to give him a lot of credit. El Duque was incredible getting out of his jam which was bigger, but less pressure. If Duque gets lit up and Boston wins the White Sox are still up 2-1 in the series. If Santana gives it up last night, the Angels go home.

Less pressure? I agree that Santana did a great job and there was pressure, but I think that losing one in Boston is a huge deal, especially with what they did to the Yankees last year.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
Less pressure?  I agree that Santana did a great job and there was pressure, but I think that losing one in Boston is a huge deal, especially with what they did to the Yankees last year.

There's pressure, but not the lose you go home pressure Santana was under. I'm not short-changing Duque, he was awesome, and the mess he was getting out of, he had nothing to do with.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)

Just to clarify for everyone

The announcers made the comment before Santana was out of the jam. They said it after he got his second out and they were just talking about how it's reminiscent of el duques performance the other night, except this jam was of santana's own doing.

IMO it was a poor comparison...but hey when you're an annnouncer and you have to be talking so fast without being able to think things through...this stuff happens. They both had to get 3 tough outs...that's the only comparison, but I can see somewhat of a relation so that's what came out of Buck's mouth. Mistake??...yeah, I think so, but nothing to get upset about.

I'd like to see a lot of people here behind a mic talking off the cuff instead of thinking through what you're typing. We'd have a hell of a lot more mistakes let alone an exaggeration.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
There's pressure, but not the lose you go home pressure Santana was under. I'm not short-changing Duque, he was awesome, and the mess he was getting out of, he had nothing to do with.

Totally disagree here....I don't think for a second a pitcher is on that mound in a playoff game with any thought whatsoever of "hey we can afford a loss here"

I think they feel they need to get everyone out they face in every game. There is no "Oh we'll just get them next game". You have to play like that is your last chance at winning a game...cause it might be. El duque could have blown that game and the sox could have lost the next 2 never having been in a postion to win again. Every run counts is the bottom line and when the tying run is 90 feet away...the pressure is at it's highest, I don't care what game the series is in.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 11, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
El Duque was incredible getting out of his jam which was bigger, but less pressure. If Duque gets lit up and Boston wins the White Sox are still up 2-1 in the series.

You remember what happened last year when Boston had a late inning rally, 1 game away from being eliminated? They reeled off 7 more after that.

I dont care what anyone says...Duque's jam was way, way bigger than Santana's. Pitchers get out of 1st and 2nd no outs middle of the game while up 3 situations quite often...I don't have the numbers on hand, but they do get out of them. Rarely do you see a pitcher get out of a bases loaded, 0 outs in the 6th up by 1 with the team hitting being in an elmination game without giving up atleast one run.

Santana's was big...but to ccompare it to Duque's is wrong, IMO. It's over and done with, and I personally got the matchup I wanted all along, so if they want to call it Duque-esque, I'm not going to complain.