Sox @ Angels - ALCS Game 3

Heads22

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
I think you could say that about each and every pitcher on this team.

Look at Jose.  What's been different for him in the 2nd half?  The league actually has a slightly higher batting average against him in the 2nd half...but in slightly more innings, he walked 27 post all-star as opposed to 48 pre all-star.

It has been huge for every one of our pitchers.

This is a staff that works well when they have control. Most pitchers do...but some, like the Clemens's and the Santana's, can make up for their lack of control. Our staff completely depends upon control. When anyone in our rotation has any type of control, they can be flat out disgustingly dominant. When they are wild in the least, they get hit around.

What is nice to know is that the only pitcher thus far in the postseason who has struggled with their control some was Freddy...and he pitched around that as well as he could have. If he finds some control of his pitches...it could be more fun things to come.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow, for some reason, I just don't feel good about this one. Then again, I felt like that about Game 2 and we got that one, complete with wrapping paper with a bow on top.

Jon -- do your thing. :pray :pray :pray

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosoxretro: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosox1: :gosox2:

John Lackey may be the best pitcher in baseball right now and Santana owned the Sox in only his second career start. The Sox must win ONE to bring it back to Chicago. I'm hopeful, but this is going to be a very bad weekend unless someone steps up at the plate...Carl? Paul? Jermaine?

I hate the 2-3-2 format

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
Key to game 3: match the intensity. I'm nervous.

listening to talk radio in LA you can bet the angels are going to come out fired up - they feel like they had one taken away from them and they're not happy. I'm nervous as well.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
listening to talk radio in LA you can bet the angels are going to come out fired up - they feel like they had one taken away from them and they're not happy. I'm nervous as well.

You know as well as I do that sometimes being "Fired up" can be a detriment when you're playing baseball...you try to make the great play and end up throwing the ball away, you try to lead off the game with a home run and pop out, you want to be the hero and do something stupid.

This game will come down to what every game comes down to...the performance of the pitchers and the hitters facing them. It won't matter which team is more "Fired up". For crying out loud, it's the playoffs. If you're not fired up, there's something wrong with you.

They'll be angry, sure. But that doesn't translate to anything. The question is...will big Jon be able to do his job on 12 days rest. That's the thing that matters. Hell, they can all be angry, fired up, and swinging for the fences for all I care...if they try that and Jon has that sinker working they'll be beating the ball into the ground.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
You know as well as I do that sometimes being "Fired up" can be a detriment when you're playing baseball...you try to make the great play and end up throwing the ball away, you try to lead off the game with a home run and pop out, you want to be the hero and do something stupid.

This game will come down to what every game comes down to...the performance  of the pitchers and the hitters facing them.  It won't matter which team is more "Fired up".  For crying out loud, it's the playoffs.  If you're not fired up, there's something wrong with you.

They'll be angry, sure.  But that doesn't translate to anything.  The question is...will big Jon be able to do his job on 12 days rest.  That's the thing that matters.  Hell, they can all be angry, fired up, and swinging for the fences for all I care...if they try that and Jon has that sinker working they'll be beating the ball into the ground.

hmm. I think being angry and being fired up are two different things. Angry would be bad - using this "incident" as a motivational factor, with a crowd you know will be rowdy and loud, is another thing entirely. I smell blowout if Garland gets rattled and a huge momentum shift. Hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
hmm. I think being angry and being fired up are two different things. Angry would be bad - using this "incident" as a motivational factor, with a crowd you know will be rowdy and loud, is another thing entirely. I smell blowout if Garland gets rattled and a huge momentum shift. Hope I'm wrong.

I think that the Sox are due for a breakout game offensively. This will be their 3rd game back from their extended vacation, so all the rust should be off by now.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
I think that the Sox are due for a breakout game offensively.  This will be their 3rd game back from their extended vacation, so all the rust should be off by now.

I'm feeling that too. I feel an ALDS-esque offensive showing Friday. Also, Garland's the only reason anyone should feel nervous about this game. And if Garland struggles, everyone in our pen is fresh and available. We'll do this.

7 more.

:gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox3:

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
I'm feeling that too.  I feel an ALDS-esque offensive showing Friday.  Also, Garland's the only reason anyone should feel nervous about this game.  And if Garland struggles, everyone in our pen is fresh and available.  We'll do this. 

7 more.

:gosox3:  :gosox2:  :gosox3:

Thanks - I'm on board! :headbang

two day effect!

the body doesnt respond after it has been given only 1 day of rest after a brutal stretch or an absolutely hugely competitive game. this is the spot that ANA is in. this happens each & every time.

last time this situation came up was in the pistons/spurs series. the pistons had to fight like mothers to advance against the heat and the team looked like dead ants trying to get up for the spurts in game one.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 13, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
I'm feeling that too.  I feel an ALDS-esque offensive showing Friday.  Also, Garland's the only reason anyone should feel nervous about this game.  And if Garland struggles, everyone in our pen is fresh and available.  We'll do this. 

7 more.

:gosox3:  :gosox2:  :gosox3:

you're not worried about Lackey and his "i can limit the yanks to under 5 runs in two starts"?

i kinda am