Win it For..

redandwhite

As a Red Sox fan for forty-two years, I was incredibly impressed with the prowess of the White Sox in the recent ALDS. That they have continued such seamless baseball against a marvelous Angel’s team is not at all surprising to me. Like the vast majority of fans in Red Sox Nation, we are fervently rooting for the Chisox to win it all this year. As an interested observer, the White Sox pitching will ultimately be the determining factor as to why they will ultimately become the 2005 World Champions of baseball. That they have such informed, classy, loyal fans is icing on the cake for genuine baseball observers.

Although it has been twelve months since my team experienced such glory, even now, last year's exploits still color the sky. The ancient Roman adage, "All glory is fleeting", applies especially to baseball these days. Relish this time, my friends. Embrace it with all of your hearts. The White Sox have a magnificent talent base, but one never knows how the fates are going to treat your team in the end. This is your time. This is why you spent all of these years following your team.

Last year at this time, I started a thread on The Sons of Sam Horn entitled, "Win it For". It harkened to all of those Red Sox fans who lived, passionately followed the team, and died - without ever seeing the Olde Towne Team win it in the end. At the moment that the Pale Hose circle around each other on the field in victory later this month, I know that there will be countless White Sox fans who will have the faces of those ghosts - their parents, their siblings, their next door neighbor who so devotedly shared the game with them - and will realize that loyal and perseverance are nothing less than the bookends to success.

Good luck to you all. I will be applauding for you and your team from New England.

All the best.

jacklamabe65

SoSH

A person on SoSH last year around this time started a "Win it For" thread in which people dedicated the Red Sox fortune to family members and freinds or whomever who lived and died Red Sox baseball. It eventually turned into a book with a foreward from Curt Schilling, and while it may not be as popular over here as it was there, I think it will be interesting to see peoples comments.

The post above is one that the same poster who started the thread posted at another White Sox message board I frequent, and it touched many.

So without further ado: Win it For...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......the little old man who sat in front of me at the 2000 playoffs. He had tears in his eyes as he left the park that day after a Sox loss. I remember thinking, that man probably has never and probably will never see a White Sox WS win. I wondered if that would be me in 50-60 years. I have never forgotten him and all the others like him. Lots of Sox fans lived and died and never experienced what we are experiencing right now.

The man in the ER in friggin' Johnson City NY with a White Sox hat on who was waiting to find out if his wife was going to be okay.

And the nice janitor who always wears a Sox shirt and is always nice to me.

And my Nana.

Win it for...My Grandfather, a lifetime South Sider and big Sox fan, who died in 1992, even before our last ALCS appearance.

Win it for...All White Sox fans from the South Side and all over the globe, past and present. For those who haven't gotten to see this magical run, and for those of us who have!

Go White Sox!

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
I'm not familiar with chisoxfan14.  Tony, Soxy, can either of you explain?

She has a topic she started today, about the Trib.

And a couple of months ago they were doing a pictural profile of the team, and they had some pictures of her that she posted and there is no available wall space in her room, all covered with Sox stuff--even the not so good players.

Then in the middle of that horrible August (I think) she started a topic about how she went to some pre-game signing and had the BEST DAY EVER because she got to talk to them.

To be honest, it can be a little creepy, but she LOVES this team as much as any old timer. . .

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
She has a topic she started today, about the Trib.

And a couple of months ago they were doing a pictural profile of the team, and they had some pictures of her that she posted and there is no available wall space in her room, all covered with Sox stuff--even the not so good players.

Then in the middle of that horrible August (I think) she started a topic about how she went to some pre-game signing and had the BEST DAY EVER because she got to talk to them.

To be honest, it can be a little creepy, but she LOVES this team as much as any old timer. . .

Thanks. :)

Win it for Frank, Hawk, Harold Baines and everyone else that has been a loyal member of the organization through good times and bad.

And win it for all the long suffering White Sox fans who have stood by this team for the past 88 years.

And win it for me because God only knows my schoolwork has suffered because of this team :bang.