Guaranteed series tickets....

Steff

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
You took the words right out of my mouth.  This is a genius idea by Brooks and company.  The whole key to sustaining the momentum of this franchise isn't making sure we have sellouts for the RedSox/Yankees/Cubs, its making sure we have 25,000 people in the park for Tuesday games against the Royals.  They have done an excellent job of trying to tie demand to lesser demand to try to sell more tickets.  Yeah it sucks that we might be able to be at the World Series, but would you rather have the Sox in the playoffs more often, or good seats to bad games?

Yeah it isn't going to be popular with those people who can't get tickets, and I understand that. But like you and Steff have said, we want this team to be sucessful for a long, long time. Getting butts in seats in the years beyond, and improving those attendances will be a big key in that. JR and the owners have shown that they'll increase payroll every year. We increase attendance even more, that'll keep happening and this team should continue to be good hopefully.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 07:54 AM)
It's not only a great idea.. it's brilliant. Thinking beyond today...  wouldn't it be nice to have the problem of getting playoff tickets EVERY October...? That aint going to happen if the Sox don't have the $$ to pay the players they need to make that happen. The key to that is filling the stadium. Season tickets for next year is guaranteed $. Money that goes straight to the pay Paul (or whomever else they go after to make a difference next year) fund. I realize I'm in a different place then most of this board in terms of tickets, and I feel bad for you diehards.. but in terms of the future.. I'm fine with whatever they can do to make this team a dynasty.

Steff well said...this is a good time to maybe put together a group of people and get tix together, if you can't afford it. then you draft tix, and have a pre-set plan on how to handle playoff tix.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 08:07 AM)
So has it been determined that is one ticket for every season ticket for every game or just one game? Basically my purchase hangs on which one of these is the case....  :huh

i still have yet to get phone call or email

Some comments from Brooks..

Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 8:08 AM

To: Stephanie

Subject: RE: Ticket Sale

I know some of the decisions I make will not be popular with the fans. It is the tough part of the job. I realize we are decreasing the pool of WS tickets that will go on sale to the general public, but I would prefer to be good every year and have October baseball in our park be an annual occurance. To do that, we have to pay the players. The more tickets we can move for next year leveraging WS tickets gives us the ability to be flexible and aggressive when it comes to player acquisition in the off season. Building the season ticket base is the key to that. I know you understand this because of our past conversations. I look at this as a smart long term decision even though I will take some heat from fans in the short run. In the end, it gives us an opportunity to put a better product on the field.

Of anyone, you know how much I appreciate the core fans at WSI and Soxtalk. I know many will not agree with the process and there will many diehards that are pissed off at about 12:30pm today, but I do believe it gives us the best opportunity to field a better team, which I believe we all want.

Regardless, it is a great problem to have because it means we are in the WS.

Brooks

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 08:14 AM)

I know some of the decisions I make will not be popular with the fans.  It is the tough part of the job.  I realize we are decreasing the pool of WS tickets that will go on sale to the general public, but I would prefer to be good every year and have October baseball in our park be an annual occurance.  To do that, we have to pay the players.  The more tickets we can move for next year leveraging WS tickets gives us the ability to be flexible and aggressive when it comes to player acquisition in the off season.  Building the season ticket base is the key to that.  I know you understand this because of our past conversations.  I look at this as a smart long term decision even though I will take some heat from fans in the short run.  In the end, it gives us an opportunity to put a better product on the field.

Of anyone, you know how much I appreciate the core fans at WSI and Soxtalk.  I know many will not agree with the process and there will many diehards that are pissed off at about 12:30pm today, but I do believe it gives us the best opportunity to field a better team, which I believe we all want.

Brooks

Amen...this is a great idea on their part.

I know some of the decisions I make will not be popular with the fans.  It is the tough part of the job.  I realize we are decreasing the pool of WS tickets that will go on sale to the general public, but I would prefer to be good every year and have October baseball in our park be an annual occurance.  To do that, we have to pay the players.  The more tickets we can move for next year leveraging WS tickets gives us the ability to be flexible and aggressive when it comes to player acquisition in the off season.  Building the season ticket base is the key to that.  I know you understand this because of our past conversations.  I look at this as a smart long term decision even though I will take some heat from fans in the short run.  In the end, it gives us an opportunity to put a better product on the field.

Of anyone, you know how much I appreciate the core fans at WSI and Soxtalk.  I know many will not agree with the process and there will many diehards that are pissed off at about 12:30pm today, but I do believe it gives us the best opportunity to field a better team, which I believe we all want.

Brooks

thats sure is the truth...i think they are doing the right thing, aslong as they call me before 11 today...steff do you have any idea if its 1 WS ticket per season ticket purchased or 1 WS per GAME for every season ticket purchased?

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 08:10 AM)
25,000 people in the park for a Tuesday game vs. the Royals?

aren't we being a little naive?

Sure, the paid attendance will be 25,000, but....

First of all, like I said that was the goal, not that it was going to happen. Read a little bit closer there.

Second even if there ARE 5,000/10,000 no shows, that means those people still PAID for tickets, and the point remains that those are revenues regardless of if those seats are empty or not. You are talking about $100-200K for those no shows.

Third and the main point of the post before you nitpicked one line out of it was that this is an excellent idea to sell tickets to games that have historically suffered really low ticket sales

Its a great idea, but I think they better be careful who they are giving the deal to. There are going to be a pretty large number of people that will eat the deposit, or fight to get it back and scalp the WS tickets for big bucks. Thinking this policy will actually have a long-term effect on the team's attendance is being very short-sided I believe. It could boost their attendance what a 1,000 or so a game which is 81,000 while keeping the common die hard locked out of the big series, and making them hopeless of ever seeing a WS game in person. They have the right to grab all the bandwagon jumpers, but I really think they are being too short sided. The WS crowd is going to be season ticketholders who were fans enough not to sell, and corporate America. Being a season ticketholder I am thrilled I will be at every game, I just feel sorry for the fan who saves his or her pennies and won't be able to participate in what could be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

Thanks for posting that. He is dead on right about this being a great problem to have. The big problem is that an incredible amount of people are trying for about 5000 seats to each game and there is no way that a ton of diehards are going to be left out in the cold. Plus at the sametime Boyer and company have jobs to do, and they would be flat out negligent if they didn't use this golden ticket to sell more tickets for 2006 and beyond.

Yeah it sucks, I want to be at the World Series as badly as anyone else, but you have to recognize that this is prudent planning and smart insight.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
Yeah it sucks, I want to be at the World Series as badly as anyone else, but you have to recognize that this is prudent planning and smart insight.

No matter whether you are at the park, or with friends, or at a bar, the world series will be f***ing aweseom....mostly because we're going to win. If I didn't have tix, I wouldn't be worried about it...I'd just hang with good white sox folks.

I believe they are getting a lot more deposits than anticipated. With the prices that are being asked for on the various broker sites and ebay and craigslist, the 50% deposit is going to be eaten by a lot of the people taking advantage of this offer. They figure they pay the deposit get the tickets and they still come out ahead, or others will sell the tickets at a price where they will get their deposit back and then some.

First post - sorry it's of such a negative tone, but I'm fired up.

I understand the whole "building a better team" argument, but disenchanting your primary fan base is a big risk. I can't afford, in time or money, season tickets every year. In years that I haven't purchased a split season plan, I've gone to 10-15 games a year. 2006 is (was?) supposed to be the year for me to buy a split plan again. Several weeks ago, I put a deposit down on the weekend plan but am not able to choose seats until after the season. At this point, I am sure I will get horrible seats because all of the good lower deck seats are going to the faux-Sox fans who want to see a WS and to scalpers who are using this as a way to make money off of WS tickets. In fact, a friend who had 2 full season tickets in Section 144 this year decided to upgrade last night to 4 seats...and ended up in Section 114. Doesn't bode well for the rest of us peons who can only afford a split plan.

(PS - Fox this morning said there are about 2000-3000 tickets left per game, unless season ticket plans continue to sell this morning)

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 07:32 AM)
I don't understand why so many people are pissed off.  All I ever hear is people complaining that there are never any fans there and now the Sox come up with a great idea to guarantee fans for next and people are mad.  If they sell an extra 10,000 season tickets that would all but guarantee us 30,000-35,000 fans per game.  If you figure an extra 10,000 people per game at an average of $50 per person for food, beer, whatever, that is an extra $500,000 per game.  That is  40,000,000 a year.  That is a one hell of a free agent that we can get.

:gosox1:  :gosox1:  :gosox1:  :gosox1:

They aren't going to get an additional 10,000 from this offer. Maybe 1000. And remember they did offer this near the end of the regular season with tickets to every playoff game and hardly anyone bit. Now everyone is biting, and its all for WS tickets. Many of these people will wind up eating the deposit, and many more will cancel their tickets after 1 season. They are interested in one thing only, and that's WS tickets. Considering the Sox make the WS very rarely, 99% of the new accounts are so short term, it won't have much effect on the budget if any.

The first year I bought Bulls season tickets was to see the All-Star Game. I was undecided about future seasons. I wound up keeping them, and having them during the championship runs. The team has an entire staff to try and sell season tickets. They should use every tool imaginable to sell them.

Corporations who buy the tickets will use them to entertain clients. It's all good. It beats a "who is the most loyal fan" contest.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 08:41 AM)
They aren't going to get an additional 10,000 from this offer. Maybe 1000. And remember they did offer this near the end of the regular season with tickets to every playoff game and hardly anyone bit. Now everyone is biting, and its all for WS tickets. Many of these people will wind up eating the deposit, and many more will cancel their tickets after 1 season. They are interested in one thing only, and that's WS tickets. Considering the Sox make the WS very rarely, 99% of the new accounts are so short term, it won't have much effect on the budget if any.

Wow that has got to be the worst possible scenario that you are outlining there.

-You are basically assuming that NO ONE is in this for next year, dispite the Sox being in the World Series this year.

-You are all assuming that NONE of these new ticket purchases are Sox fans, or will be used by Sox fans (even if they are just given away, there would still be someone going to the game, and the ticket is paid for)

-You are assuming that people are just going to give there money to the Sox for just the opportunity for World Series tickets, and instead of paying the rest for next years tickets, they will just throw that money away.

-I guess you are assuming that the 2005 team was a complete aberration and that they will be so bad that there will be no demand for tickets next year, as it won't be worth these new ticketholders time or money to either go to the games, or sell them to other people, instead just eating their deposit money.

-You are also assuming that any of these new revenue must be being wasted, as there is nothing about the impact of new players or retaining current players being factored in, with keeping the Sox competitive the playoffs next year, which would go a long way towards fan retention.

I witnessed it in Anaheim. Winning and making it far in the playoffs has a way of creating a lot more diehard fans. It will have opened many casual fans up to the White Sox and they a lot of them may sit there and go, you know what, I'm a Sox fan now. You also have a lot of people (like many of us on these boards) that love going to games and get to a decent amount of them and than an opportunity like this, kind of pushes fans like us to getting season seats for the 1st time and than the hope is that you really enjoy the experience and continue to renew.

But lets just win 4 more and see the season ticket base double.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 07:56 AM)
Wow that has got to be the worst possible scenario that you are outlining there. 

-You are basically assuming that NO ONE is in this for next year, dispite the Sox being in the World Series this year. 

-You are all assuming that NONE of these new ticket purchases are Sox fans, or will be used by Sox fans (even if they are just given away, there would still be someone going to the game, and the ticket is paid for) 

-You are assuming that people are just going to give there money to the Sox for just the opportunity for World Series tickets, and instead of paying the rest for next years tickets, they will just throw that money away.

-I guess you are assuming that the 2005 team was a complete aberration and that they will be so bad that there will be no demand for tickets next year, as it won't be worth these new ticketholders time or money to either go to the games, or sell them to other people, instead just eating their deposit money.

-You are also assuming that any of these new revenue must be being wasted, as there is nothing about the impact of new players or retaining current players being factored in, with keeping the Sox competitive the playoffs next year, which would go a long way towards fan retention.

I am assuming there will be a few people who are buying these tickets to attend the games. But the fact that they offered this deal earlier and didn't have a huge response would indicate to me that most of these people that are purchasing tickets are looking for a one-time thrill or looking to make money. Believe me, the majority of WS tickets sold to these new accounts will wind up in the hands of brokers, or are corporations noticing the prices of quality seats are around $2500 and are securing tickets for their clients. There will definitely be a bump up in season tickets next season, but this promotion isn't going to have a long-term impact on the base. Think about it, even the people on this site who are buying, why did it take them until now to put down a deposit? They could have had all the playoff games. If they are die hards why didn't they have tickets for this season? They were selling season tickets up until the beginning of August. They could have purchased a grinder plan. Bandwagon jumpers don't last long. Expecting the White Sox to be in the WS next year would be silly given their and every other team's history.