Guaranteed series tickets....

Steff

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
I am assuming there will be a few people who are buying these tickets to attend the games. But the fact that they offered this deal earlier and didn't have a huge response would indicate to me that most of these people that are purchasing tickets are looking for a one-time thrill or looking to make money. Believe me, the majority of WS tickets sold to these new accounts will wind up in the hands of brokers, or are corporations noticing the prices of quality seats are around $2500 and are securing tickets for their clients. There will definitely be a bump up in season tickets next season, but this promotion isn't going to have a long-term impact on the base. Think about it, even the people on this site who are buying, why did it take them until now to put down a deposit? They could have had all the playoff games. If they are die hards why didn't they have tickets for this season? They were selling season tickets up until the beginning of August. They could have purchased a grinder plan.  Bandwagon jumpers don't last long. Expecting the White Sox to be in the WS next year would be silly given their and every other team's history.

I purchased the ozzie plan this past year, I was waiting till after the 1st of the year to purchase season tickets. I wanted to see how much I was going to have to pay in taxes this year, but I figured what the hell, why not do it now this is the WS.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people were not willing to make a several thousand $$ commitment with a chance to playoff tickets. Perhaps you need a memory refresher.. but at the time they were initially promoting this the Sox were playing like crap. BTW.. they got somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 new st seats sold then, so I'll say from that - and from the apparent demand for this deal - that your 1000 # is low.

As for you questioning the fans on this site and their lack of purchase earlier...

Pretty f***ing rude.

This is genius. This puts tickets in circulation. The money is spent, if 5,000 people do this, it puts 405,000 tickets sold at the start of the season. You need a season ticket base to have the revenue and this is the biggest selling point.

Our attendance dropped when season tickets went from 24,000 down to 8,000. This can take it back up to 20,000.

This is ticket scalping but this organization spends on their team so I have no issue with it.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
so  I put my deposit down last night.....  anticipation............. I call it's busy.  Call again I get 2 ring tones and then it cuts to a busy signal..  :lol:

i have been calling since 830....no luck

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 08:15 AM)
I purchased the ozzie plan this past year, I was waiting till after the 1st of the year to purchase season tickets.  I wanted to see how much I was going to have to pay in taxes this year, but I figured what the hell, why not do it now this is the WS.

As I said, there are a few that will be in it for the long haul. Do you plan on attending each game or are you looking to sell? They had a season ticketholder on the news yesterday who sold all his seats to a broker for $12,000 cash. They did offer this same deal near the end of the regular season and didn't have much interest. I would imagine at least 90% of the people putting down deposits will either never be season ticket holders or will cancel their plans if the Sox don't make the playoffs next year. I don't blame people for buying them. My brother in law bought a couple. I just think they would be better off in the long run making these few tickets available for people to watch and fall in love with baseball and the Sox rather than making them available to people who are looking to make money.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
A lot of people were not willing to make a several thousand $$ commitment with a chance to playoff tickets. Perhaps you need a memory refresher.. but at the time they were initially promoting this the Sox were playing like crap. BTW.. they got somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 new st seats sold then, so I'll say from that - and from the apparent demand for this deal - that your 1000 # is low.

As for you questioning the fans on this site and their lack of purchase earlier...

Pretty f***ing rude.

For me to waste my time to explain myself to someone as to why I'm going to try and do this deal now is stupid. He's free to have his opinions, without knowing anything about any of us, etc. I'm really stretching my finances to pull this deal, and I would consider myself to be more opportunistic than fair-weather, but what do I know? :ph34r:

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
As I said, there are a few that will be in it for the long haul. Do you plan on attending each game or are you looking to sell? They had a season ticketholder on the news yesterday who sold all his seats to a broker for $12,000 cash.  They did offer this same deal near the end of the regular season and didn't have much interest. I would imagine at least 90% of the people putting down deposits will either never be season ticket holders or will cancel their plans if the Sox don't make the playoffs next year. I don't blame people for buying them. My brother in law bought a couple. I just think they would be better off in the long run making these few tickets available for people to watch and fall in love with baseball and the Sox rather than making them available to people who are looking to make money.

I plan on being at every game

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 07:36 AM)
I believe they are getting a lot more deposits than anticipated. With the prices that are being asked for on the various broker sites and ebay and craigslist, the 50% deposit is going to be eaten by a lot of the people taking advantage of this offer. They figure they pay the deposit get the tickets and they still come out ahead, or others will sell the tickets at a price where they will get their deposit back and then some.

Yes and the White Sox make $2K on each World Sereis ticket sold insteead of $140.

People need to realize that it is a big world out there and keeping the die hards happy isn't the goal of the White Sox nor should it be we follow them when they blow. Bandwagon is where the money is and this is the target not the die-hards. I am buying a full two seat plan (usually I have 27 game plan), am going to one WS game and selling the rest to pay for what I can not afford, a full plan next year. Who pays this for me, some guy I do not know. I do know this, I will be at a ton of games next year and will spend $$$ while there. I hope the guy that buys the scalped seats has fun and I would like to thank him. Next season if they go all they way, I'll be there for every step. If they suck oh well, that is KW's fault not Brooks. Brooks will have 1.6M tickets sold in February (this year they had 800K), KW needs to make it worth the time for the fans to be there. If the tickets were sold, the 15K for the Royals would've been 30K in September.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 08:25 AM)
I plan on being at every game

Let me ask you and everyone else here who has put down a deposit. If the White Sox were to call you this morning and inform you that this deal was sold out for the WS tickets, would you still put the 10% down which is required for season tickets next season?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
Let me ask you and everyone else here who has put down a deposit. If the White Sox were to call you this morning and inform you that this deal was sold out for the WS tickets, would you still put the 10% down which is required for season tickets next season?

10 percent? i thought it was only 205 per seat...I could be wrong, but yes I would do it

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)

and No I would not do it. At least not until January.

Edited by rangercal

OMG, the Sox are trying to maximize revenues! The bastards. f*** them. I'm going to root for a team that doesn't care about revenues and just wants to be certain the tickets get to the really die hard fans. A team that would make you take a test before being considered for tickets. Then a careful background check to root out any "new fans". I have ticket stubs dating back to the mid 70s, any of you Johnny come lately bandwagon jumpers from '83. '93, or '00 better line your asses up behind me. I'm a real fan, I have over 18,000 posts.

Shall we turn on Soxtalk members who joined in 2004? Where were they when the board was struggling? Damn bandwagon jumpers.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 08:16 AM)

Pretty f***ing rude.

Not rude, curious. Seems to me when something has been offered several times, I believe the Sox had a 15 game lead when you could have purchased half a season with an option for all playoff games not just World Series, they might have bit then. I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of this offer. If I didn't have tickets I most likely would as well. I just question the long-term effect it really is going to have on the season ticket base, and I know most of these WS tickets are going to wind up with Eric Soderholm and people of his ilk, looking for $1000 to sit way up behind a post in the corner.

No matter how they sell these tickets, they will wind up in the hands of the highest bidder. Some will value the experience over money and attend the games, some will value money over the experience.

No matter how you spin it, the Sox are taking a cut of that fact. It could be argued that by selling first to this year's season ticket holders and second to next year's season ticket holders, they are doing their best in make tickets available to the true fan. A phone in process, waiting in line, etc. favors the pros whose job it is to procure tickets. The brokers have the systems in place to snag tickets to everything.

I can't think of a better process. If you are a "true fan" buy a season ticket package.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
I just question the long-term effect it really is going to have on the season ticket base, and I know most of these WS tickets are going to wind up with Eric Soderholm and people of his ilk, looking for $1000 to sit way up behind a post in the corner.

Long term effect? Give me a scenario where it will drive season ticket sales down?

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 08:33 AM)
dick allen...why are you so bitter?

I'm not bitter. I'm a long time season ticketholder who will be at the games. As I said, there will be a few people getting these tickets with good intentions. I just think the majority will wind up in ticket broker hands which is a shame. IMO, there at least should be some tickets available for the general public.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
I'm not bitter. I'm a long time season ticketholder who will be at the games. As I said, there will be a few people getting these tickets with good intentions. I just think the majority will wind up in ticket broker hands which is a shame. IMO, there at least should be some tickets available for the general public.

true...and from the sound of things there are not many tickets left...just heard there are only about 2000 per game left

i haven't seen a mention of the snowball effect this should bring. i think the likelihood is that some fans take advantage of this deal along w/ a bunch of ticket brokers. now the ticket brokers are gonna have tickets they're gonna try and drive up for the regular season as well. all this bodes well for attendance, if you didn't already realize its gonna make significant gains for next year. and by the way, increased attendance begets sell-outs and more increased attendance. this, in turn, makes going to the cell more of an outing again for more people. 3 years from now we can be the same team we were 4 years ago and have 5-6k more people in the stands per game, just because of the people turned on by this.

this is a great idea for the team, even if the scalpers and brokers capitalize.

Edited by maki

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
Not rude, curious. Seems to me when something has been offered several times, I believe the Sox had a 15 game lead when you could have purchased half a season with an option for all playoff games not just World Series, they might have bit then. I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of this offer. If I didn't have tickets I most likely would as well. I just question the long-term effect it really is going to have on the season ticket base, and I know most of these WS tickets are going to wind up with Eric Soderholm and people of his ilk, looking for $1000 to sit way up behind a post in the corner.

Its pretty obvious the rate of return was going to go up as we got further in the playoffs and tickets got more scarce. Sox fans didn't have the expectation of going far in the playoffs based on their past history. Plus they always have had much bigger parks when they have made the playoffs in the past, which meant many more chances at tickets. Right now, this is it for tickets. You are either going to play the lottery with ticketbastard, or you are going to buy season tickets. It has nothing to do with how big of a fan you are, that is the reality for everyone. Plus with the history of Sox fans buying way more tickets when they win versus when they lose, the huge uptick in buying tickets now is a complete expectation vs being a complete surprise. Some people gambled they would be able to get tickets easy, well they lost. It doesn't make them any less of a fan, just human.

And like I said, this is a great idea because it helps to give the White Sox revenue where they need it most. The games against the Cubs/Red Sox/Yankees etc were always going to sell out. At very least it gives the Sox a boost in attendance against the Royals/Rays/Tigers etc, where they really need to figure out a way to get people to. The Sox may very well go into the toilet next year, and this bump in revenue might be temporary, but this is also the prudent thing to do to guarentee revenues for 2006. This is a move that has to be made. Someone else made the point, instead of the White Sox selling these World Series tickets for $200 each, they are selling them for thousands of dollars each. The are guarenteeing themselves more revenue for 2006, which means more money for signing and keeping key players both for 2006 and the future past that. That extra money could mean getting a big time #3 hitter, which would help us sustain an elite level of play, which would ensure us increased revenues for years, instead of one year. The Sox would be negligent if they didn't try to do what was best for the team, and getting most people through the turnstiles all year is the first and biggest step towards doing just that.

After being a graduate assistant in a major Division I athletic department, I can tell you that teams don't really give a s*** about individual ticket sales. Rather, it's all about getting season tickets. If the Sox can use this World Series to generate guaratneed season ticket holders for next year, then that's an opportunity they can't pass up. I know it sounds like the right thing to do to let the "true" fans buy the tickets, but that would be just foolish business.