Konerko and Thomas

Texsox

With every Konerko heroic moment, I'm sensing Thomas falling further and further in the rear view mirror. It's going to take a superstar size contract to keep Kong and saving a few million here and there will be necessary.

I'm just not seeing Thomas and Kong both back next year. I will be very sad if I'm right.

Thomas would take a $1 million contract in a heartbeat IMO, especially considering he's already getting a 3.5 million buyout. He just wants a chance to play. Think about it, there are only 14 teams he can play for, and many already have a DH. No matter what happens with Paulie, Thomas will be back. It's a drop in the bucket.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Thomas would take a $1 million contract in a heartbeat IMO, especially considering he's already getting a 3.5 million buyout. He just wants a chance to play. Think about it, there are only 14 teams he can play for, and many already have a DH. No matter what happens with Paulie, Thomas will be back. It's a drop in the bucket.

And did you see Frank poke his head out of the clubhouse after Paulie hit that Slam? Gave him a high five and I think a hug. That's class and I'm glad he's getting to enjoy the games with the team, even though he's injured. I'm just glad he loaned his arms to Pods for that last homer.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
If Kenny and Jerry are serious about keeping this team of winners intact then they will spend what it takes to keep Frank and Paulie here.

Kenny and Jerry have to say that. Actions speak much louder than words.

Did anybody read that Southtown article with that snipit about Frank? Supposedly Peter Gammons reported just the other day that the A's are interested in Frank's services for next year. Wouldn't that be the ultimate mind****? Not only have the A's owned us, if they had Frank batting against us? I think I'd just about cry. I'm hoping Frank plays 2 more years on the Southside, then retires.

Jerry is the one who gives KW the money to work with. We didn't spend any of it at the trading deadline. With the postseason success we should have enough money to sign Kong and I think if neccessary Jerry would exclude Thomas' contract from the new payroll. I expect to keep them both here. I highly doubt KW lets Kong go or a healthier Thomas ready for another few seasons. Hopefully I am right.

Edited by Sox Hustler

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 11:20 AM)
One thing I want to ask is this.

If one of Thomas/Konerko walks, can we please not make them look bad. Im so sick of when every big name FA leaves, the Sox some how make him out to look like the bad guy.

Jesus himself could not make Frank Thomas look bad if he didn't come back next year.

After yesterday...Jesus is about the only guy who could say anything to make Konerko look bad in that city if he did leave.

I think Paulie's gone. I hate to say it but after reading that one article with Konerko's dad saying hes gonna test the market he's going especially with this great season hes been having of course hes gonna leave because it means more $. I know either Boston or the Angels will want to sign him but if Paulie's gone and is not in the line-up I could see Kenny and Reinsdorf fighting to keep Frank on the team. Paulie right now is our main power hitter, if we lose both were going to have to find people to fill that void.

Edited by WinningUgly85

That guy on the Score was talking about this during the drive in today. They were thinking that Frank would be willing to take less to stay with a contender & his $10M (or what his contract is at now) will be available to sign Paulie. They were also talking about some money being available if Everett is not back.

Indy sox fan...we've crunched the numbers around here repeatedly, and even with those things coming off the books, the fact that Garland, Pierzynski, and a few others will be getting raises this year basically means that we don't have an additional $7 million to give Konerko a raise unless we significantly increase our total team salary next season.

I think that's truly the case...we can't afford Konerko if we don't significantly increase the total team salary, probably by at least $10 million next year beyond what we're paying this year.

I think that doing so, also, is a hugely important step...and for that I cite the example of Anaheim. A few years ago, that team was clearly 2nd in the LA market. Then, in 2002, they put together a great run and created a winner. Then Moreno bought the team. What did he do? He realized that he had a winning team...and if he kept that team as a winning team, the fan base for that team would grow exponentially, as would his revenues.

So he spent some extra money. Brought in guys like Vlad the Impaler and Bartolo Colon, and suddenly the Angels were at the top of the AL West every year and selling out that stadium constantly.

Even if the White Sox never overtake the Cubs in terms of numbers of fans...now's the perfect time to make a run at them. We had a huge attendence boost this year...we'll absolutely have another one next year unless we turn into the Royals. If we spend the money now on players, and maybe even mortgage some future revenues, simply through the fact that we're putting a winning team on the field, we will be able to build the entire franchise. The value of the team will go up, the value of the tv/radio contracts will go up, ticket prices will go up, more merch will be sold, and even if we never get this far again, if we spend the money now to hold this team together and maybe improve upon it, the return on the investment will be maximized entirely due to the timing.

In other words...we need to resign Konerko at any cost...because we can't afford bad press right after this if we want to grow this team and turn it into the Yankees.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
That sounds great but you can't stay pact while Indians/Tigers/Twins go out and make themselves better.

I think what you mean is stand pat. And i have to wonder why the Sox cant afford to stand pat with a team that is currently up 2-0 in the WS and just won the AL Pennant. The pitching will be back, and probably even better with the full year addition of Brandon McCarthy into the rotation. What sort of move outside of re-signing Konerko would this team have to make?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
I think what you mean is stand pat.  And i have to wonder why the Sox cant afford to stand pat with a team that is currently up 2-0 in the WS and just won the AL Pennant.  The pitching will be back, and probably even better with the full year addition of Brandon McCarthy into the rotation.  What sort of move outside of re-signing Konerko would this team have to make?

Resigning Garland and Pierzynski such that they do not hit the free agent market after 06.

Deciding on what to do with Contreras, who is also a free agent after 06. (A trade could conceivably bring considerable value in the offseason...or a contract extension would help keep our rotation together longer)

And most importantly...figuring out what to do with the Designated hitter spot if the Sox decline the option on Carl Everett...which they should. I would love to see the Big Hurt in that spot next year, but I don't want him there without some sort of a safety net, just in case he does get hurt again. That's the biggest question mark IMO...who is our DH next year?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
I think what you mean is stand pat.  And i have to wonder why the Sox cant afford to stand pat with a team that is currently up 2-0 in the WS and just won the AL Pennant.  The pitching will be back, and probably even better with the full year addition of Brandon McCarthy into the rotation.  What sort of move outside of re-signing Konerko would this team have to make?

Get an actual dh or bring in another outfielder and move dye to dh. I mean dye is really bad out there over and over. He is slow ( doesn't cover much ground do not care what rowand himself says), seen the ball rattle around too much in the corner, and he probally has one of the most overated arms in baseball. He has to be in the top five in baseball with vlad being number one. He hits the cut off man maybe 60% of the time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
Resigning Garland and Pierzynski such that they do not hit the free agent market after 06.

Deciding on what to do with Contreras, who is also a free agent after 06.  (A trade could conceivably bring considerable value in the offseason...or a contract extension would help keep our rotation together longer)

And most importantly...figuring out what to do with the Designated hitter spot if the Sox decline the option on Carl Everett...which they should.  I would love to see the Big Hurt in that spot next year, but I don't want him there without some sort of a safety net, just in case he does get hurt again.  That's the biggest question mark IMO...who is our DH next year?

Erubiel durazo to a one year incentive laden deal sounds good to me.

I like Konerko as much as the next guy.... but if he wants anything more than 12 million per year Id say sorry thats 2 much tell him it was a pleasure having him as a whitesox and offer him arbitration and be done with it.

Now if that does happen as long as Frank is actually healthy and will be able to hold up a whole season we bring him back cheaply and find a new 1B. Overbay or Tracy seem like the popular choices.... or we can find a new RF and move Dye to 1B..... Brian Giles is a possibility I guess.....

There are a lot of different scenarios that can happen this off-season but im not going to get to into it until it is the off-season.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
I like Konerko as much as the next guy.... but if he wants anything more than 12 million per year Id say sorry thats 2 much tell him it was a pleasure having him as a whitesox

1 month ago I'd have agreed with you.

2 weeks ago I was willing to stretch to 13 or 14.

After last night...the dude could ask for a 6 year deal and I'd still want to give it to him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
1 month ago I'd have agreed with you.

2 weeks ago I was willing to stretch to 13 or 14.

After last night...the dude could ask for a 6 year deal and I'd still want to give it to him.

You could be the isiah thomas of the major leagues.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
And did you see Frank poke his head out of the clubhouse after Paulie hit that Slam?  Gave him a high five and I think a hug.  That's class and I'm glad he's getting to enjoy the games with the team, even though he's injured. 

That was very cool. I think it's also awesome that Anderson, McCarthy, Borchard and I'm not sure who else are getting to be a part of this. It's great!

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 01:59 PM)
That was very cool. I think it's also awesome that Anderson, McCarthy, Borchard and I'm not sure who else are getting to be a part of this. It's great!

I loved the shot of Anderson and Rowand sitting together watching that fly out that Fox showed a couple times. Rowand's line is now in my sig...Anderson just watched it fly out and then let out a huge "OH MY GOD"

I think this team deserves another shot at a world title if they manage to pull it off this year. The people that need to be re-signed are pretty much no-brainers if you ask me.

AJ

Garland(if he could be signed to a similar contract that Buehlre got)

Konerko

Thomas (incentive laden contract, of course)

I hope Reinsdorf will let these guys continue to win together.