Rumor: AL Playoff OF tests positive for steroids

DonkeyKongerko

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
The Sox have been against steroids for quite a while, as I'm sure you know.  After all the stuff they've gone through with not taking the tests last year, it would sure make them look like hypocrites if a starter on their World Series team got busted for it.  Also, something that people aren't realizing is that it's not like these guys were on the roids during the postseason.  Obviously, they tested positive for the stuff prior to the postseason.  If that blogger went out of his way to mention it wasn't someone on the Sox, I feel a lot better about it.

Where did it say the player wasn't on roids during the post-season?? That is nothing more than an assumption, unless I missed something. And even if true, that and 50 cents will just buy me a soda out of the drink machine at work on Monday. It means nothing.

And to say the Sox have a "strict stance on steroids" is a bit of a stretch. I am not saying they are lackluster in that area, but other than the players position before the 2004 season, there is nothing else to indicate that.

The Sox are no different than any other organization. If the player is good enough, they will work around it. If the player isn't, then they get rid of him. The Sox have players in their system that have used steroids and they knew it or intentionally turned their back on it. They have used a player in the big leagues that was busted for using a corked bat. They are no different than any other club in this regard.

Please be clear, I am not indicting the Sox for any wrongdoing. Nor am I putting them on a pedestal. They simply are just like everybody else.

Edited by Rex Hudler

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
Where did it say the player wasn't on roids during the post-season??  That is nothing more than an assumption, unless I missed something.  And even if true, that and 50 cents will just buy me a soda out of the drink machine at work on Monday.  It means nothing.

Considering how long the appeals process lasted in the Palmeiro case, it would seem likely that the player tested positive more than a month ago. I guarantee the players wasn't still taking the stuff if this appeals process has been going on during the playoffs. It doesn't matter though, if it happened to be a Sox player, the championship would be tarnished and that player would never be forgiven by Sox fans. Thus, I'd be stunned if they found anyway to bring him back.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
Please be clear, I am not indicting the Sox for any wrongdoing.  Nor am I putting them on a pedestal.  They simply are just like everybody else.

Lets just say that my belief on the Sox organization isn't just my opinion. I've been told information regarding various different organizations where handful of MLB players were steroid users. Are there players that were on the Sox in the past who were juicing? Absolutely! Were there players on the Sox this year that have juiced in the past? Absolutely!

The funny thing about all of us this debate is that the Sox had to be the cleanest, in terms of steroids, team to win the WS in the last 15 years.

The thing that is the biggest problem with the current MLB Steroid policy (putting arguments about its severity aside) is the fact they do not name the offending substance.

As soon as a rumor starts flying about a failed test, the word STEROIDS lands in every headline. The substance could be something as simple as ephedra. Not all banned substances are the same, nor do they provide the same effect.

So by not naming the substance, the player immediately becomes guilty of the worst possible offense in the public perception. If they are going to name the player, they should name what he took!

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
Considering how long the appeals process lasted in the Palmeiro case, it would seem likely that the player tested positive more than a month ago.  I guarantee the players wasn't still taking the stuff if this appeals process has been going on during the playoffs.  It doesn't matter though, if it happened to be a Sox player, the championship would be tarnished and that player would never be forgiven by Sox fans.  Thus, I'd be stunned if they found anyway to bring him back.

If they tested positive a month ago, it is very likely the steroids were still in their system. It doesn't matter whether they were taking them at that time or not. It makes NO difference.

Hell, Mike Morse has been suspended three times for the same offense, if you believe medical evidence. The steroid he admitted taking has lingered in his body for more than a year, at consistently declining levels, indication he had not continued to take them.

Whether they were taking them during the playoffs or not means nothing.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
If they tested positive a month ago, it is very likely the steroids were still in their system.  It doesn't matter whether they were taking them at that time or not.  It makes NO difference. 

Hell, Mike Morse has been suspended three times for the same offense, if you believe medical evidence.  The steroid he admitted taking has lingered in his body for more than a year, at consistently declining levels, indication he had not continued to take them. 

Whether they were taking them during the playoffs or not means nothing.

I just meant that it's not like the players were busy injecting the roids prior to Game 1 of the WS, etc.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
Lets just say that my belief on the Sox organization isn't just my opinion.  I've been told information regarding various different organizations where handful of MLB players were steroid users.  Are there players that were on the Sox in the past who were juicing?  Absolutely!  Were there players on the Sox this year that have juiced in the past?  Absolutely! 

The funny thing about all of us this debate is that the Sox had to be the cleanest, in terms of steroids, team to win the WS in the last 15 years.

All I am saying is that the Sox "steroid policy" is only as strict as the talent of the player. I'm sure every situation is different, but they aren't going to dump every player that might test positive.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 12:54 AM)
Maybe you guys should choose a wait and see method towards this rather than disparage players who have, as far as we know, never done anything whatsoever in terms of cheating. This is not a healthy culture at all

They have their fellow players to blame, it now comes with the terriotory. This may be a bad analogy, but I find it similar to airport security checks. Because of other dumbasses, some people have to be accused and wait time for everyone else is now increased.

Baseball Musings: You've helped confirm a rumor about an AL playoff outfielder testing positive for steroids. How did you come to have this information?

Will Carroll: This is false. I was involved in an appeals process, very tangentially. I don't know a name but have heard rumors, much as many journalists have. When Jamie asked the question, I confirmed that I had heard this rumor and due to my involvement with an appeal, I couldn't comment further. I didn't mean for this to be any confirmation.

As to my involvement, I was asked to comment on the nature of the substance, its use by players, and if I'd heard anything about the use of a certain "cocktail" of substances. There was nothing specific and I had no bearing that I know of on any hearings that may or may not have occurred. I'm certainly not an arbitrator or expert witness as some have speculated.

BM: I have heard from two sources that the player is not on the White Sox. Is this true?

WC: I don't know.

BM: When asked, "Is this a name we're actually going to care about?" by Jamie Monttram, you answered yes. Why do we care about this player?

WC: I think as baseball fans, we should care about any athlete. My perspective as someone that's followed this story as closely as anyone might be skewed a bit. If it is true that it's a playoff player, then it calls the integrity of the testing program into question and will be a media firestorm.

BM: Are we going to be surprised by the name? In other words, is it someone for whom the allegations are new?

WC: I don't know.

BM: Do you know if the drug detected is easily found in contaminated supplements?

WC: I can't comment on the actual substance, but cross-contamination of the substances that players have tested positive for this year is nearly impossible. Drugs like winstrol and the metabolites that are detected in drug tests are very specific.

BM: In your opinion, does the player have a good defense for why he tested positive?

WC: I do not know if he has any defense or what it is.

BM: When do you expect the decision to be made?

WC: I don't know. I still have a poor handle on how the process works. It appears to be much like the suspension appeals for a fight or hit batsmen - takes a while to get everyone together. The steps that the new policy calls for extends that period. It's too bad that this can't be enough of a priority to make everyone - agent, league, union - get together at the first possible opportunity.

BM: If the player is suspended, when does the suspension begin? Is it the first day of the 2006 regular season?

WC: That's consistent with the Heredia suspension, handed down recently.

http://www.baseballmusings.com/

Yay for backtracking.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
http://www.baseballmusings.com/

Yay for backtracking.

That's worse than backtracking. He's practically contradicting statements he made earlier. Now he's saying the appeal he was involved in was "tangential"? And that he doesn't know a name but just has heard rumors?? Sounds like he's saying he doesn't know anything at all.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
That's worse than backtracking. He's practically contradicting statements he made earlier. Now he's saying the appeal he was involved in was "tangential"? And that he doesn't know a name but just has heard rumors?? Sounds like he's saying he doesn't know anything at all.

In other words...someone from MLB or someone important heard what he said about the rumor and in some fashion put the smack down on him. Not that surprising...the Bush Administration does it all the time.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
FWIW...

Dye

2004 - .265 23 80 .329/.464/.793 

2005 - .274  31 86 .333/.512/.846

Finley

2004 - .271 36 94 .333/.490/.823

2005 - .222 12 54 .271/.374/.645

I am going to go out of my way and rule out Dye, since his numbers increased in the first year of steroid testing.  Call it shallow thinking, but I just don't see how a player can get off the juice and produce better numbers.

Just a small note...Dye's numbers this year did exactly what I was hoping they would do...went up for 2 reasons.

1. He moved from the Oakland ballpark to the Cell. The Cell is a much better hitters park...especially for home runs.

2. He played practically the entire last month or 2 of 2004 with I believe a broken thumb in his hand, which drastically hurt his performance.

Given that he was coming from Oakland and Oakland was almost certainly one of the centers of the steroid problem, I had my doubts about him this season and was worried his numbers would go down. They didn't. I was happy.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)

Will Carroll, your credibility meter is dropping.

That exchange on Baseball Musings has all the hallmarks of a cat trying to cover his crap on a marble floor.

Looks like Matt Lawton is the "big" name.

Sources have told Deadspin.com that Matt Lawton has tested positive for steroids.

So, this is the notable AL outfielder who has tested positive? According to the report, Lawton is currently appealing the suspension, which is why there has been no announcement from MLB. Nov. 2 - 1:57 pm et

Source: Deadspin.com

Edited by Brian

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
Looks like Matt Lawton is the "big" name.

Sources have told Deadspin.com that Matt Lawton has tested positive for steroids.

So, this is the notable AL outfielder who has tested positive? According to the report, Lawton is currently appealing the suspension, which is why there has been no announcement from MLB. Nov. 2 - 1:57 pm et

Source: Deadspin.com

former cub and indian. LMAO!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
Can someone go find the people who were pissed back in September that we had made no effort to acquire Lawton at the trading deadline?

In hindsight, I'm glad. I believe I said yesterday in a thread that hindsight is stupid most of the time...but maybe I didn't say most of the time, I can't remember.

That being said...I was huge for Lawton. Jody Gerut for Matt Lawton? That's basically f***in Joe Borchard for Matt Lawton. I do that in a f***in' second.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 03:55 PM)
I came back from classes to an email from a friend with this exact quote in it.  My first reaction was to laugh, then I felt relieved.  Matt Lawton...significant?

same here ;)

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
That being said...I was huge for Lawton.  Jody Gerut for Matt Lawton?  That's basically f***in Joe Borchard for Matt Lawton.  I do that in a f***in' second.

He was playing for the Yankees at the end of the season I believe.

Remember, in significance: Yankee backup >>> World Series MVP.