Rumor: AL Playoff OF tests positive for steroids

DonkeyKongerko

Updated follow-up posted several hours ago:

http://journals.aol.com/dcsportsguy/mrirre...nt/entries/2167

Yesterday's post about a mystery man who has tested positive for steroids sparked a few items that warrant mentioning, so here's an update:

· A source close to the rumor (mysterious, I know) says the juicer is not on the White Sox. As mentioned yesterday, I certainly hope that's the truth.

· Baseball Musings analyzes the clues and guesses the player is Steve Finley:

"I thought Finley was through after the 1998 season. He put together back-to-back years of low OBAs. He was 33, and it's not at all unusual for players to disappear from the majors at that age. But instead, he goes to Arizona, starts getting on base again, and starts hitting home runs like he never did before. He also played a long time with Ken Caminiti."

· From the comments section of Musings' post, No Sense Worrying (a Yankees blog) says Sheffield doesn't have an agent. If she's right (and I think she is), this excludes Sheff from the conversation. Again, the original Sports Weekly tidbit:

"An American League outfielder on a postseason team tested positive for steroids, according to his AGENT, but the player is appealing the results."

· Deadspin has a poll where you can vote on the mystery 'roider. Right now Sheffield is leading the way with 31% of the vote and Damon is second with 20%.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:48 AM)
Its a sigh of relief.

Would be better if I saw "Carroll: Its not someone from the White Sox", but I'll take it either way :)

I know what you mean. It doesn't mean for sure it's not, but it's a hell of a lot better than saying that it definitely could be one of the Sox players. Puts my mind at ease a little more.

The update stole my thunder, I was going to say Steve Finley because of his injury prone past and his late-career resurgence. My second guess would be Sheffield because of him originally being associated with the Balco thing. Next would be Damon because of previous mentions. I'd also buy Garrett Anderson for the purpose of speeding his recovery from injury.

I personally would seriously doubt Pods or Rowand. I can't really explain why, other than to say neither would seem to benefit that strongly from steroid use. If it were any of our guys, I'd guess Dye, because he's more of a power hitter. However, all are pretty damn thin, and none seem to have the bulging head effect.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
The update stole my thunder, I was going to say Steve Finley because of his injury prone past and his late-career resurgence. My second guess would be Sheffield because of him originally being associated with the Balco thing. Next would be Damon because of previous mentions. I'd also buy Garrett Anderson for the purpose of speeding his recovery from injury.

I personally would seriously doubt Pods or Rowand. I can't really explain why, other than to say neither would seem to benefit that strongly from steroid use. If it were any of our guys, I'd guess Dye, because he's more of a power hitter. However, all are pretty damn thin, and none seem to have the bulging head effect.

That is incorrect. Finley has had fewer than 400 bats just once since the age of 25.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 28, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
That is incorrect. Finley has had fewer than 400 bats just once since the age of 25.

His injuries are not normally of the season ending type, he gets a lot of nagging injuries that affect his performance. Plus he's missed more time the last couple of years.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

FWIW...

Dye

2004 - .265 23 80 .329/.464/.793

2005 - .274 31 86 .333/.512/.846

Finley

2004 - .271 36 94 .333/.490/.823

2005 - .222 12 54 .271/.374/.645

I am going to go out of my way and rule out Dye, since his numbers increased in the first year of steroid testing. Call it shallow thinking, but I just don't see how a player can get off the juice and produce better numbers.

Finley's jump could be caused for multiple reasons...just figured I'd throw his numbers out there however.

The update also stold my thunder. I was thinking Finley. Someone brought up his workout regimen and his numbers being down are due to injuries. This makes him look worse, in my opinion. You don't take steroids and automatically hit more home runs or last through a whole season. The steroids would help you work out more without getting tired and give quick recovery to injury (Also, don't they basically break you down after a while?), which in turn is what rubs off on improved play, durability, and numbers. Also, I've been weary of certain players with "injuries" *cough*NL West*cough* and using that as an excuse to "clean up", similar how some players suddenly decide they want to give Japan a try for a year. The thought of Aaron scared me, but if it was a Sox player, why wouldn't they just narrow it down to the WS Champs rather than a AL Playoff team? No, it's not the best logic, but I'm using it because I don't want our moment to be ruined.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:21 AM)
I refuse to believe that the person who tested positive is anyone from the White Sox until an official from MLB makes an announcement to the contrary. The actions of the players on the team and the team in general in the past 2-3 years point to them being clean.

You are right. If you consider that the Sox were going to not take the test during ST 2004 so that they would be counted as "failed", which would then cause the steroid testing policy to kick in.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
You are right.  If you consider that the Sox were going to not take the test during ST 2004 so that they would be counted as "failed", which would then cause the steroid testing policy to kick in.

Two of our outfielders weren't here in 04. However, like I said I don't think any of our guys would do this but it's just something that scared me and obviously a few others as well.

Question for my fellow Sox fans: With the Sox's strict stance against steroids, do you think they would bring back a player if he did get busted for them? I would think that in this case, with the media criticism that the player/organization would face, it would be hard to bring back a player. Let's just hope it's not a Sox player.

fathom, where might I ask do you come up with "the Sox' strict stance against steroids"?

On a separate note: If it were Podsednik, it certainly didn't help him hit. Teams were getting him out consistently with high fastballs during the playoffs and he couldn't catch up to them. He finally caught up with a fat pitch from Lidge who throws 95mph. That speed alone along with catching it square would allow any player to hit it out of the yard.

Actually, he caught up with two because he did hit a nice triple a day or two earlier.

I guess the roids were just kicking in...

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
fathom, where might I ask do you come up with "the Sox' strict stance against steroids"? 

On a separate note:  If it were Podsednik, it certainly didn't help him hit.  Teams were getting him out consistently with high fastballs during the playoffs and he couldn't catch up to them.  He finally caught up with a fat pitch from Lidge who throws 95mph.  That speed alone along with catching it square would allow any player to hit it out of the yard. 

Actually, he caught up with two because he did hit a nice triple a day or two earlier. 

I guess the roids were just kicking in...

Scott had an excellent post season. He loves swinging through high heaters though, that's his swinging strike out pitch I guess you could say.

EDIT: I'm just saying he had a very good post season, I dont want this post to look like I'm saying he's on roids cause in no way do I believe that.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Scott had an excellent post season.  He loves swinging through high heaters though, that's his swinging strike out pitch I guess you could say.

EDIT: I'm just saying he had a very good post season, I dont want this post to look like I'm saying he's on roids cause in no way do I believe that.

You think Pods is on roids?!?! :o

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)

The Sox have been against steroids for quite a while, as I'm sure you know. After all the stuff they've gone through with not taking the tests last year, it would sure make them look like hypocrites if a starter on their World Series team got busted for it. Also, something that people aren't realizing is that it's not like these guys were on the roids during the postseason. Obviously, they tested positive for the stuff prior to the postseason. If that blogger went out of his way to mention it wasn't someone on the Sox, I feel a lot better about it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 29, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
You think Pods is on roids?!?!  :o

I definitely don't think he was on the juice this season, nor do I think Rowand was on the juice this season. Were they on it last year? We'll never know, but there are ton of players around baseball who certainly have to raise some eyebrows with their drastic power differences.