Free agent resource.

qwerty

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
Player 1:  2004 Aaron Rowand

Player 2:  2005 Chad Tracy

A winner is me!

Interesting comparison no doubt. We'll see how Tracy does next season, although a .982 OPS in the 2nd half of 2005 certainly is a good way to into 2006.

• Replies 686
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSox/view...rticleid=111103

Manny-to-Mets trade is alive

"The centerpiece of the deal, coming from the Mets’ side, would be center fielder Mike Cameron and two of the following three prospects: outfielder Lastings Milledge and right-handers Aaron Heilman and Yusmeiro Petit."

Wow if Boston gets Cameron, Milledge AND Petit, damn they've done well. Could free up salary for a Troy Glaus trade as well.

Hahahahaha, the Cubs can't really be this clueless can they?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true

Cubs, Perez agree on 2-year contract

"PALM SPRINGS, Calif. -- From all accounts, Nomar Garciaparra would love to return to the Cubs for a third season. But the veteran shortstop whom the Cubs made it a priority to keep is Neifi Perez, who has agreed to terms on a two-year deal that is expected to be announced on Tuesday.

"I've decided I really like the guys who catch the ball," Hendry said."

:lolhitting

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 01:33 AM)
Interesting comparison no doubt. We'll see how Tracy does next season, although a .982 OPS in the 2nd half of 2005 certainly is a good way to into 2006.

2nd half numbers:

Rowand - 279 AB, 57 R, 20 2B, 15 HR, 48 RBI, .319/.377/.559/.936

Tracy - 240 AB, 37 R, 16 2B, 17 HR, 38 RBI, .313/.374/.608/.982

Urbina Story

Someone suggested getting Urbina because of the Venezuela connection, well, his price just dropped by a ton. Attempted Murder charges usually don't enhance a FA's value. This might all be crap, and Oswaldo would be the one to know whether the guy is in real trouble or if something will be worked out. I'll take him for league minimum plus incentives and send Vizcanio somewhere else.

damn, the guy had a 1.15 WHIP and a .186 BAA, ok, even with the charges I'll give him $500k + incentives...

Edited by Fingish

QUOTE(Fingish @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
Urbina Story

Someone suggested getting Urbina because of the Venezuela connection, well, his price just dropped by a ton.  Attempted Murder charges usually don't enhance a FA's value.  This might all be crap, and Oswaldo would be the one to know whether the guy is in real trouble or if something will be worked out.  I'll take him for league minimum plus incentives and send Vizcanio somewhere else.

damn, the guy had a 1.15 WHIP and a .186 BAA, ok, even with the charges I'll give him $500k + incentives...

Urbina? Not a chance in hell he should be brought in.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Urbina?  Not a chance in hell he should be brought in.

I would guess this is a "chemistry"-based objection?

To me, it would depend entirely on Ozzie's opinion of who Urbina is and to what extent he believes he can keep him under control.

Remeber, Ozzie would have leverage with Urbina that no other manager in baseball has, and that is Urbina's home country of Venezuela's love for Ozzie Guillen. Urbina might be a model citizen knowing that a guy that could ruin him forever in Venezuela is in control of the team.

I'm just saying, if you can get him super-cheap right now, roll the dice, explain to him exactly what you are going to expect from him, what conduct will cause him to be released from the team, etc...

This is one of those situations where the fans just aren't close enough to the situation to know the right thing to do, but fortunately we do have some people in our orginaztion (Ozzie) that have insight into this that we will never know.

If you could swap out Viz and replace him with Urbina for the same money, you do it, as long as he's not going to spend next season in prison. Of course, last season Urbina made almost $3 mil. more than Vizcaino, so it takes something like Attempted Murder charges to get the price down.

Edited by Fingish

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
Urbina's had a terrible reputation for a long time in baseball, well before he tried to kill someone.  Not only that, but he's the type of pitcher who would start to b**** if he wasn't used frequently (like the role Viz had last year).

Yeah, the whole thing is based on the idea that Ozzie could control Urbina, and that is only something that Ozzie could tell us. If they did decide to gamble on him, I would have a lot of confidence that they know what they are getting, and know how to keep him contained.

And of course, his role wouldn't really be that Viz had, but the upgrade is so large, that it really doesn't matter. You can never have too much depth in the bullpen, the chance to pick up an arm like this can't just be ignored, especially considering the special circumstances involving our manager that makes our situation unique in all of baseball.

I understand the worries about clubhouse chemistry, but if this guy pitches like he has during most of his career, we won't have to worry about him b****ing about doing Viz's old job, because he will be one of the top few arms on our already loaded pitching staff.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 05:38 AM)
Hahahahaha, the Cubs can't really be this clueless can they?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true

Cubs, Perez agree on 2-year contract

"PALM SPRINGS, Calif. -- From all accounts, Nomar Garciaparra would love to return to the Cubs for a third season. But the veteran shortstop whom the Cubs made it a priority to keep is Neifi Perez, who has agreed to terms on a two-year deal that is expected to be announced on Tuesday.

"I've decided I really like the guys who catch the ball," Hendry said."

:lolhitting

Is he really worth 5 million?

Neifi Perez - SS - Cubs

Neifi Perez's two-year deal with the Cubs is worth $5 million.

With the way the Cubs spend on the Neifis and Glendons, you'd never know that they actually had a fairly productive farm system. The Cubs probably aren't giving Perez any more than the Diamondbacks, Marlins or Rockies might have at some later date, but it's still too much. Nov. 8 - 4:04 pm et

I'm sure this was posted somewhere, but it warrants discussion...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

According to major-league sources, [Hideki] Matsui was watching the White Sox closely in October. If Konerko doesn't return, the left-handed-hitting outfielder could be the best possible replacement in the middle of Ozzie Guillen's lineup. The Yankees are trying to re-sign him before Friday, when he can join hundreds of other free agents on the open market.

(Thanks Cheat)

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)

(Thanks Cheat)

Hm, sounds like he wants to come here. Maybe the Japanese influence from Iguchi and Shingo, from before, has some effect. I really would like to get Matsui. I wonder if he'd take some kind of discount. Doubt it, but that'd be pretty sweet.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)

(Thanks Cheat)

This sounds great to me, I hope there's some Sox interest in him. I've posted a few times earlier around the board that if PK doesn't resign and they can snag Matsui it would help. I would like to see the Sox see if the Brewers are going with Fielder next year and trading Overbay

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
I'd be pretty happy with Matsui and Overbay.  They combined for 42 homers this year with a better combined average this year than Konerko and Everett.  I'm sure their power numbers would increase by playing here, but I guess that's still a pretty big drop off in power numbers.

But more rbi's. I know Matsui played in a loaded yanks lineup but the guy is a rbi machine, great situational hitter.

EDIT: Looked it up, combined overbay and hideki had one more rbi then paul and carl. I'm just a huge fan of Matsui would love to get him, still think it's a pipe dream.

Edited by Rowand44

Is he really worth 5 million?

Neifi Perez - SS - Cubs 

Neifi Perez's two-year deal with the Cubs is worth $5 million.

With the way the Cubs spend on the Neifis and Glendons, you'd never know that they actually had a fairly productive farm system. The Cubs probably aren't giving Perez any more than the Diamondbacks, Marlins or Rockies might have at some later date, but it's still too much. Nov. 8 - 4:04 pm et

You don't think this guy is worth $5 million dollars over 2 years?

dep4.jpg

Mench rumors;

The Kansas City Star and the Dallas Morning News are both reporting that the Royals are trying to use Jeremy Affeldt in order to acquire Kevin Mench.

GM Allard Baird is talking about Affeldt as a starter again, but it's probably mostly to up his trade value. He's one of the best pieces of bait that the Royals have. Nov. 9 - 3:41 am et

Omar Minaya's going to be busy;

According to the New York Daily News, Mets GM Omar Minaya is laying the foundation for a potential trade with the Devil Rays for Danys Baez and Aubrey Huff.

Apparently, the Mets would try to complete the deal if they failed to land Billy Wagner and the Manny Ramirez talks didn't go anywhere. It's likely that some combination of Yusmeiro Petit, Aaron Heilman and Jae Seo would be involved. Baez would likely close for the Mets if acquired. Nov. 9 - 3:48 am et

Can't see this one happening myself;

The San Diego Padres and Texas Rangers have discussed a trade that would send former Yankee Alfonso Soriano and centerfielder Laynce Nix to San Diego for starting pitcher Adam Eaton and second baseman Mark Loretta. The Padres have also expressed interest in free agent Mike Piazza.

So San Diego would have to replace both Eaton and Lawrence if that deal went down.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 05:59 AM)
But more rbi's.  I know Matsui played in a loaded yanks lineup but the guy is a rbi machine, great situational hitter.

EDIT: Looked it up, combined overbay and hideki had one more rbi then paul and carl.  I'm just a huge fan of Matsui would love to get him, still think it's a pipe dream.

Things could get VERY interesting if Hideki doesn't have a contract by Friday...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
But more rbi's.  I know Matsui played in a loaded yanks lineup but the guy is a rbi machine, great situational hitter.

EDIT: Looked it up, combined overbay and hideki had one more rbi then paul and carl.  I'm just a huge fan of Matsui would love to get him, still think it's a pipe dream.

I don't know how much of a pipe dream it is. If Matsui has interest in this club, which that quote suggests, I see no reason why he can't be had if Konerko walks. Then, a trade for Overbay seems like the most plausible way to replace Konerko (that isn't an in-house replacement). It doesn't sound easy, but I really don't think it sounds like a pipe dream.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 02:43 PM)
I don't know how much of a pipe dream it is.  If Matsui has interest in this club, which that quote suggests, I see no reason why he can't be had if Konerko walks.  Then, a trade for Overbay seems like the most plausible way to replace Konerko (that isn't an in-house replacement).  It doesn't sound easy, but I really don't think it sounds like a pipe dream.

The one thing we can all agree on is that it would be unacceptable for the Sox to do nothing if they lose PK. Replacing PK with Dye at 1b and Anderson in the outfield, or sticking Gload at 1b, would be a great way to slow down the momentum from last season.