free agent wish list

mike12345

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
See: Game three of the World Series.

Not fair boz. Injured back, pitching for the first time in 25 days. He hung a slider and it got hit. I know Dustin doesn't throw hard or blow people away but if he's healthy I think he'll be just fine but nobody knows so we'll see.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
-this guy doesnt think it would be a waste of money.  I think he would make the staff unbeatable, and I also think that we trade 1 of either marte or hermanson as well.

Do you advocate spending $8 million per season?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:58 PM)
Not fair boz.  Injured back, pitching for the first time in 25 days.  He hung a slider and it got hit.  I know Dustin doesn't throw hard or blow people away but if he's healthy I think he'll be just fine but nobody knows so we'll see.

I know, I know.

It was there for the taking.

Kudos to Hermy for a great season.

We rode him for all he could give us.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
Do you advocate spending $8 million per season?

I dont advocate spending any money, but thats why they cal it a WISH list, not a "realistic interpretation of needs in the offseason relative to budget and chemistry" :P

thanks for the info the other day BTW

Edited by RockRaines

I wouldn't mind Graffy over Blum but obviously Blum would be welcome back after blasting that home run in the Series.

Also how about Paul Byrd as a middle reliever or spot starter?

Seriously wouldn't graffy be great or would he jinx us?

I wouldn't mind Graffy over Blum but obviously Blum would be welcome back after blasting that home run in the Series.

Also how about Paul Byrd as a middle reliever or spot starter?

Seriously wouldn't graffy be great or would he jinx us?

We already still owe El Duque $4.5 million next season and he won't even be in the rotation because of McCarthy. If we don't trade El Duque, which would be difficult due to his age and contract, he will be our longman and spot starter. Paul Byrd would be a waste of money.

Edited by SSH2005

On Hermanson, I think he is about a 2.00-3.00 ERA, 1.10-1.20 WHIP type pitcher normally when fully healthy. What made him so solid this year was his ability to use that slider-fastball mix very effectively. When his fastball was in the 92-95 range, you saw him pitch very effectively. When his fastball was in the 88-91 range, he was hit quite a bit harder.

He was undoubtedly also helped by the Sox superb defense. No way do his stats look as good as they do without a good defense behind him.

I'd like to see an upgrade at the DH position via trade (hopefully something involving Marte & El Duque), but I think Anderson might get the spot.

As for free agency, I'd like to see the Sox pursue one of the big name relievers. Couldn't hurt to make a strong pen even stronger.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
On Hermanson, I think he is about a 2.00-3.00 ERA, 1.10-1.20 WHIP type pitcher normally when fully healthy.  What made him so solid this year was his ability to use that slider-fastball mix very effectively.  When his fastball was in the 92-95 range, you saw him pitch very effectively.  When his fastball was in the 88-91 range, he was hit quite a bit harder.

He was undoubtedly also helped by the Sox superb defense.  No way do his stats look as good as they do without a good defense behind him.

Hermanson threw 95 this year???

As far as I coudl tell, he got hit quite a bit harder when he started being unable to locate things when his back really went out on him. I didn't notice these 95 mph fastballs from him really at any point during the year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
Hermanson threw 95 this year???

As far as I coudl tell, he got hit quite a bit harder when he started being unable to locate things when his back really went out on him.  I didn't notice these 95 mph fastballs from him really at any point during the year.

Maybe not 95...but he was in the general range. 92-94 may be better.

Of course control is always an issue. It was an issue with almost the entire pitching staff this year. If they had good control, they were good...if they didn't they got hit.

With all the talk about trading for Manny, I wonder why no one has mentioned Todd Helton. The Rockies would be willing to eat up substantial dollars on his contract in order to get rid of him, IMO definately moreso than the Red Sox would for Ramirez. It might take some substantial trading materials, but I feel it would be worth the price if we lose Konerko to the 14-15 million a year range. Konerko and Helton are on par with eachother when it comes to defense, and while Helton is assisted by Coors Field, he walks more, strikes out less, hits for a higher average, and hits lefty. He might be headed towards the downside of his career, but he's still a MLB number 3 hitter, his contract is short and Rogowski may be ready for 07.

Maybe not 95...but he was in the general range.  92-94 may be better.

Of course control is always an issue.  It was an issue with almost the entire pitching staff this year.  If they had good control, they were good...if they didn't they got hit.

Hermanson threw 95 in his earlier days as a starter with the Expos.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
With all the talk about trading for Manny, I wonder why no one has mentioned Todd Helton.  The Rockies would be willing to eat up substantial dollars on his contract in order to get rid of him, IMO definately moreso than the Red Sox would for Ramirez.  It might take some substantial trading materials, but I feel it would be worth the price if we lose Konerko to the 14-15 million a year range.  Konerko and Helton are on par with eachother when it comes to defense, and while Helton is assisted by Coors Field, he walks more, strikes out less, hits for a higher average, and hits lefty.  He might be headed towards the downside of his career, but he's still a MLB number 3 hitter, his contract is short and Rogowski may be ready for 07.

This topic was discussed way back during the trade deadline. Basically, the Rockies will not and are not even interested in trading Helton. He's their marquee player. He has even been quoted saying that he does not want to leave Colorado (no matter how much they suck) and wants to be at the center of their rebuilding process. Call him crazy, but that's the situation. So... no is your answer.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 2, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
Maybe not 95...but he was in the general range.  92-94 may be better.

Of course control is always an issue.  It was an issue with almost the entire pitching staff this year.  If they had good control, they were good...if they didn't they got hit.

Dustin threw 88-91 all year. The difference is when he's healthy he wasn't hanging his slider, he also said that because of his back he wasn't able to finish his pitches. When you can't finish your pitches you are going to hang a lot of breaking stuff and that's what happened when his back got bad.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 01:21 AM)
Dustin threw 88-91 all year.  The difference is when he's healthy he wasn't hanging his slider, he also said that because of his back he wasn't able to finish his pitches.  When you can't finish your pitches you are going to hang a lot of breaking stuff and that's what happened when his back got bad.

Exactly. When healthy, Hermanson was a solid, smart, veteran pitcher that knew how to pitch to contact. When hurting, he couldn't locate his pitches as well and therefore got banged around a bit. I am not counting on Hermanson for next year. In fact, it would not shock me if he retired.

Dustin threw 88-91 all year.  The difference is when he's healthy he wasn't hanging his slider, he also said that because of his back he wasn't able to finish his pitches.  When you can't finish your pitches you are going to hang a lot of breaking stuff and that's what happened when his back got bad.

Hermanson still wasn't striking anyone out when he was healthy earlier in the season. Relievers that put the ball in play that much aren't going to maintain a 2.00 ERA over the years. The defense behind him either won't always make the plays or won't be in the position to make the plays. Those hard hit shots that Hermanson allows will find holes sooner or later.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 02:04 AM)
Hermanson still wasn't striking anyone out when he was healthy earlier in the season.  Relievers that put the ball in play that much aren't going to maintain a 2.00 ERA over the years.  The defense behind him either won't always make the plays or won't be in the position to make the plays.  Those hard hit shots that Hermanson allows will find holes sooner or later.

When he was healthy he wasn't getting hit hard, just because you dont strike guys out doesn't mean you can't be a great relief pitcher. Like I said before we have a great defense so balls in play really aren't a problem.