Official Re-sign Paul Konerko Thread

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
Frank's moving back full time. He'll be the only one here full time aside from Oz Jr who goes to college here, that I am aware of.

Yo Frank, hold up the moving company . . . :huh:

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
How old do you think Contreras really is? There is no way he's anywhere near the 32 that is on his baseball card. But I agree, with the others.

I would say around 34-35, I'd still give him a 3 year deal. Hell we gave El Duque a contract and he is 57.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
Once again, we come to the point that most Sox fans want short, incentive laden contracts, and everyone earning about $5mil per year.

You don't want a Sox Fan Deal? I would like a $5 million year deal offered to Sox fans. Why wouldn't we want that?!?

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
Frank's moving back full time. He'll be the only one here full time aside from Oz Jr who goes to college here, that I am aware of.

I always thought that living where you play is a bunch of bull used to get a deal. I mean, come on, most of these players own more than one house anyway in more than one city, whether it's because of movement or tax shelter or whatever. It just doesn't matter. Of course, everyone wants to play closer to home, and with children, it makes it harder. But there are lots of people who work all year long and travel a lot and deal with it.

PK will get the best deal for him, and more power to him.

Paulie is simply not worth that contract. He had a great end of the season, and his postseason was good as well. BUt frankly, his playoff hot streak will overshadow his struggles during the year and his dissapearence in the first half. He is prone to having to correct his swing many times of the course of a season, and this leads to inconsistency and makes him prone to off years as we have seen. Honestly, Paulie isnt nearly as good a player as Maggs was.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:45 PM)

Admit it, you should be more modest.  ;)

:lolhitting

Just wait until the tailgate video comes out. Yea, the one where we conspired to get rid of Vinc....wait I can't say his name.

I think you guys are all seriously overreacting to this news. It's simply agent talk. Of course they're going to say that he wants as long a deal as possible. Remember Boras talking about a 10-year deal for Beltran? An agent can ask for whatever he wants, that doesn't mean he's going to get it. Take a look at the league. Every long term (more than 4 years is what I'm referring too) I can think of is looking bad for the team that signed them. They're stuck with guys that are overpaid and/or no longer healthy/productive. If Beltran, a younger guy with more skills, only got a 7 year deal, do you really think that anyone is going to give Paulie the same thing? I seriously doubt he gets 7, and the only way he gets 6 is if someone is desperate. I suspect that 5 years is most likely going to be his contract length. It just looks like teams are starting to catch on that long term deals that extend well into a guy's mid-30's don't seem to be a good idea.

Edit- I could see 5 years with an option or two on the end, but more than 5 years guaranteed looks like a stretch, unless it's someone like the Blue Jays or Orioles trying to kill their payroll in order to look like they're trying to compete.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I would be suprised if PK got this deal from anyone, and if he does, as much as it pains me, I don't want the White Sox to match it.

He's what 29? The end of that contract could hurt a lot. I don't blame his agent lobbying for this deal, it's his job, he could be using this tactic to guarantee a 5th year from a team.

I've said it before, if they can't resign PK I would want KW to try and get Overbay from Milwaukee (likely available due to Prince Fielder) and then try to sign Hideki Matsui and use him like Carl last year, except more OF play.

I know the Cubs are likely watching the PK scenario closely, I just heard they want to sign Lee to an extension (I think next year may be his last) and if he has a solid year next year, he would be due a huge PK level contract.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
Then are chances go down even more. Born in Rhode Island, high school in Arizona. I guess getting closer to Phoenix or RI would be the "home town discount".

Exactly, getting stuck in these huge long term contracts is a disaster. Look at Manny and Arod their contracts are liabilities to their teams. Look at the tigers Maggs and Irod are doing nothing and are liabilities as well. Look at beltran, 17 mil for that, come on. The sox are probably the least likely team to get into all those huge boras type contracts. Paulie is great and would be great at 4/48, like his career statistics warrant, but one thing KW wont do is go Adrian Beltre on us. We are a team, no one is above the team, and if you have priced yourself out of what you are worth then you go bye bye and we are very capable of replacing you with a better cheaper alternative (cough maggs cough dye).

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
Well if we lose Kong.  But gain a guy like overbay/tracy/huff at 1st and have Dye DH, and then put Anderson in RF I dont see how we are so worse off than we are today.  Konerko got hot in the second half and had a great playoff series.  But I think that saving our money for the pitching in the long run makes more sense.

we sure think alike.

i will say that it is going to be extremely weird if PK is in an Angels uni come spring training. i can see it now. i am going to yell out..."hey PK thanks for the WS winners!"? i also heard that the reason that PK is going to ANA is that his cheeks get red and it will be a perfect color match with the uni.

will PK loss equal Wilbur Marshalls departure of 85?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
7 years? No way. See ya Paulie. Even if it works the first tow years you have a Thome situation after that. The Carlos Delgado bandwagon is starting its engine

3/$37 mil is still a lot of money unless we can get some money from Florida. But, it wouldn't be a bad option.

Too bad MLB doesn't have sign and trades like the NBA.

Based on KW history. We will make a fair offer, and then KW will go to another plan. He is not going to wait around as Kong is paraded around from team to team to wait for a match. We will make a fair offer, and then he will start working the phones. We picked up Dye, who is not Maggs. Was Dead for most of the year, yet hit well when we needed him. We will get someone that isnt Kong, doesnt have the power of Kong, but will be fine. This might be a blessing when we are in contract talks trying to get our pitching tied up for the next few years.

And we are going to be fine....

Young

Owens

Anderson

Sweeney

Gio

As we have found out, losing Frank for pretty much two years, Maggs, Carlos Lee. Anyone can be replaced. Maybe not 100%, but the sox will beat on. If Kong wants to be here, he will be here. If he doesnt lets move on.