Southsider has a new family member thread

Steff

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
For those who have kids and have breastfed... Did your babies lose weight in the first few days before the moms milk came in?  Madison lost 12 ounces, but there hasn't been any milk yet, only colostrum, which is normal.  they want us to supliment, but she doesn't want nipple confusion.

Any other stories out there?

Yes, weight loss of as much as 10% of the birth weight is normal. The colostrum is good, fatty stuff and it keeps them going until the milk comes in.

Nipple confusion is a very real thing, although IMO most often it's less confusion and more of a rejection by the baby of the breast for the bottle because it's a lot easier to fill a belly from the bottle. That said, a little bit of supplementation until Madison gets the hang of nursing from Mom is not going to be a problem.

My wife had a hard time in the early going getting our firstborn to suckle. She obviously preferred the supplementation because it was easier to get out. We went to a lactation consultant that was part of the hospital care network and she was AMAZING at how she helped us. My wife nevver had a problem (other than soreness and chapping – lanolin is a must!) after that and botth our kids stuck with breastfeeding into their second year.

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
the phrases "first date" and "nipple" in the same sentence?

way to go jason

:P

LOL, who would of thought Alex would have been complimenting me. Afterall...all I have to tell a lady is that I own Soxtalk. If I say those magic words to a girl, its guaranteed play :P

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
LOL, who would of thought Alex would have been complimenting me.  Afterall...all I have to tell a lady is that I own Soxtalk.  If I say those magic words to a girl, its guaranteed play  :P

If we're talking about a nerdy girl, then umm yes. Otherwise no. :P

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
For those who have kids and have breastfed... Did your babies lose weight in the first few days before the moms milk came in?  Madison lost 12 ounces, but there hasn't been any milk yet, only colostrum, which is normal.  they want us to supliment, but she doesn't want nipple confusion.

Any other stories out there?

Yes, weight loss is common with all babies in the first few days. Make sure to get her used to a bottle as well. It was a real pain in the ass to try to get our first one on the bottle after all she had was a breast. It will make it alot easier for you when the wife is gone, or for the baby sitter.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
Well she basically slept through the nite last night.  We kept her up for like 4 hours before we went to bed, and the only time she was awake was when she got woke up for her feeding :cheers

Don't get used to it.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
See, I TRY to defend your honor and then you go and AGREE with the slanderer....

...sometimes I wonder why I even bother....

:lol:

Mad props for the effert, bro.. :headbang

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 12:10 AM)
LOL, who would of thought Alex would have been complimenting me.  Afterall...all I have to tell a lady is that I own Soxtalk.  If I say those magic words to a girl, its guaranteed play  :P

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 9, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
If we're talking about a nerdy girl, then umm yes. Otherwise no.  :P

How do you think we got Steff?

Jason told her he owned Soxtalk and I said I was an admin and bam, we were invited up to visit her.

Congratulations! Be careful, mindful, & ever watchful as they grow up. It's been my experience that girls are a LOT tougher to raise than boys.

I thought I would have smooth sailing after she did well on her entrance exams this past year. Now after 2 months MY LIFE away from work has been reduced to teaching her algebra. I'd like to say her teacher ____, the school ____, & somehow the Democrats are to blame for this but after spending daily sessions with her I am left to conclude it's God's fault.

He must have felt my life was too good. Algebra is as natural to me as drinking a glass of water. But to her? It's like climbing Mt Everest. With 2 more on the way up the ladder please God take pity on me. Help me teach them to be good Algebra students.

The purpose of life is to love & serve my Lord, Jesus Christ. Who knew that would entail devoting my life to my kids math classes? Woe is me.

• 11 months later...
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
Where's the pink Sox cap?!! :P

She continues to be adorable.

Didn't want to ruin it with foodcoloring, duh :P

Also for those who haven't heard, she took her first steps a week ago, so pity the poor cats. The kid is thriving like nobodies business.